S8 battery size-we are getting conned about improved capacity

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I am fascinated about the con regarding how the battery capacities are being improved for the S8 and S8 plus models. And all based on a false notion.

There are 2 rumours floating around for the battery sizes, so I will assume the larger battery sizes for sake of argument. All the internet articles are falsely saying how battery capacities are increasing compared to the S7 and S7 edge.

The erroneous argument is this: The S8 will be of a similar physical size to the S7 and the battery goes from 3000 to 3250mah. Again, I am assuming the larger rumour capacity. But this is completely wrong. Overall, the capacity is going down. Because even though the physical sizes are similar, the screen sizes are not. And this is what counts in battery drain. The S7 and S8 may be about the same size, but the actual screen goes from 5.1 to 5.8 inches.

That is a big increase in screen size with the battery only slightly increasing. As I say, it doesn't matter if the physical size stays the same. And other rumours are saying the S8 stays at 3000 mah.

It's the same for the S7 edge and S8 plus. Again, all the internet articles are saying how capacity goes up as the 2 phones are about the same size. But the S7 edge has a screen size of 5.5 inches and 3600 mah battery, whist the S8 plus increases the actual screen size considerably to 6.2 inches whilst the battery goes to just 3700 mah. Other rumours say 3500 mah.

What is wrong with all these internet writers? Common sense tells you to compare screen sizes to battery capacities, not the overall physical sizes. If you do this, the coming S8 models are going down in battery capacities.

Which is a bummer.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Well capacity only refers to how much battery power is available. So the capacity has gone up if the rumors of bigger batteries are correct. However, you're right, the screens are getting bigger, so I don't think the batteries have gotten big enough to offer more longevity from a single charge which sucks. I'm with you man.

csiguy1

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Why can't these manufacturers understand that long lasting battery and onboard memory are the two biggest things that cell phone users need and want.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that's it. I think it's just the fact that flagships want thinner phones. You can only go so big with phones as thin and compact as they are today.

The only way around it is to fully optimize the OS the way Apple and Google do.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Newer SOC at 10nm = more efficient.
Newer generation of AMOLED display = possibly improving power efficiency over S7 panels.

It's quite possible that battery life will be the same or slightly better than the S7 models.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Newer SOC at 10nm = more efficient.
Newer generation of AMOLED display = possibly improving power efficiency over S7 panels.

It's quite possible that battery life will be the same or slightly better than the S7 models.

I agree with this. But people get too caught up in stats. Technically, you could put a 4000mah battery in the S8 and still wind up with subpar battery life. It's also about efficiency

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that's it. I think it's just the fact that flagships want thinner phones. You can only go so big with phones as thin and compact as they are today.

The only way around it is to fully optimize the OS the way Apple and Google do.
But the public isn't clamoring for thinner phones. They certainly aren't complaining about millimeters which added just one could certainly help with battery size.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Don't fret just yet! Once we get to see what these devices are like in action, we'll have a better idea of how good their battiers are/will be.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
But the public isn't clamoring for thinner phones. They certainly aren't complaining about millimeters which added just one could certainly help with battery size.

No they're not. Admittedly I'm not sure why the race to thinner phones is still a thing. It's got to be a tech designer thing.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Looking at the renders of the dimensions on the other thread, the s8+ is smaller than the S7E in height and width. The thickness of the s8+ is ever so slightly thicker. It makes sense that the battery size is not increasing.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Looking at the renders of the dimensions on the other thread, the s8+ is smaller than the S7E in height and width. The thickness of the s8+ is ever so slightly thicker. It makes sense that the battery size is not increasing.

Not if the screen goes from 5.5 to 6.2 inches for the same body size. Extra screen means extra battery drain.

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Why can't these manufacturers understand that long lasting battery and onboard memory are the two biggest things that cell phone users need and want.

And a faster processor and a great camera with oodles of pixels, and , and...
The design team of any flagship phone has a tough job deciding what and how much to put into the device. Comparing to what was available 5 years ago to now is mind boggling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21