02-25-2017 07:47 PM
28 12
tools
    I still have my Galaxy S5 which is going well. I was looking to possibly replace it with either the S8 or Note 8 but am not considering the S8 because of that awkwardly placed rear fingerprint scanner.

Is the fingerprint scanner a deal breaker for anyone else? I cannot understand how having to pick up the phone and then fumble your finger at the back is convenient. Especially next to the camera lens, which I am sure people will smudge constantly as they attempt to unlock their phone.

I think this is a mistake on Samsung's part. I would rather have the bottom bezel a bit wider to accommodate a front facing scanner.

Anyone else?
    02-14-2017 07:04 AM
    I'm not a huge fan of it myself. But I will say I was using my brother in laws s7 edge and my finger felt more natural there than it would have if it was in the center back.

Still not sold but I'm not against it either yet.
    02-14-2017 07:14 AM
    Nothing will stop me from upgrading. I don't mind it but just prefer it on the front especially when I my phone is mounted in the car or sitting on the desk. Obviously it's better when you're holding since it's just more natural for you index finger.

I'm questioning if this is just another move to get ahead of Apple? I really hate when companies feel the need to do this. Again are fans begging for the Fingerprint Scanner to be removed and place on the back?

Design wise I'm sure they can come up with a better solution. If Samsung did this on the 7 series then I wouldn't even question it but the timing is ridiculous.
    02-14-2017 08:43 AM
    I don't mind it since I've never had a phone with a finger print scanner. I'll be using Smart Lock with my Garmin Watch and Car Bluetooth so it won't matter for the most part for me.
    02-14-2017 09:01 AM
    Not me. I had a fingerprint scanner on the back of my LG. It was great.
    02-14-2017 09:04 AM
    My finger rests naturally where the scanner would be.
    02-14-2017 09:23 AM
    I'm left handed, so if my finger doesn't fit comfortably on the rear sensor I'll definitely stick with my S7 or upgrade to a different phone.
    02-14-2017 10:05 AM
    I'm not a huge fan of it myself. But I will say I was using my brother in laws s7 edge and my finger felt more natural there than it would have if it was in the center back.

Still not sold but I'm not against it either yet.
    I feel the same way......I can make it on my S7 edge. But it feels more natural on my Pixel XL to be honest.
    But I am going to wait until I try it a few times to really pass judgment.
    02-14-2017 01:21 PM
    I'm left handed, so if my finger doesn't fit comfortably on the rear sensor I'll definitely stick with my S7 or upgrade to a different phone.
    I always pick up my phones left handed even though I am right handed. Just tried it on my S7 edge and it was not an easy stretch at all! Very counter intuitive to say the least.....
    02-14-2017 01:25 PM
    It's pretty close to where I normally keep my finger so I'm not totally upset about it, but I would prefer it on the front. I'm hoping this is just a stop gap until they can put it in the screen.
    02-14-2017 02:37 PM
    Totally, not regarding the position though. Was so looking forward to the on screen embedded fingerprint sensor.
    wolfedude88 likes this.
    02-14-2017 09:15 PM
    Totally, not regarding the position though. Was so looking forward to the on screen embedded fingerprint sensor.
    I was too. I'm going to guess it wasn't ready in time for the S series, and will debut on the Note instead.
    wolfedude88 likes this.
    02-14-2017 09:30 PM
    I was skeptical about the fingerprint scanner in the center back but after using it in my Honor 8, I couldn't be happier. The back is perfect, as you pick up the phone your finger rests there automatically. You will do this as an instinct once you try out.

Now, that said, S8's placement near the camera - that I can tell how excited I am unless I try once.
    02-14-2017 10:14 PM
    Hate it. I'd rather have the same button/bezel we currently have.
    02-14-2017 10:33 PM
    i still would rather have it up front as i use my thumb to unlock mines (S7e). I also got smaller hands so my finger is a inch or two below where it would be.

Havent tried holding a S7 so not sure where it would be on there.
    02-15-2017 12:02 AM
    I still have my Galaxy S5 which is going well. I was looking to possibly replace it with either the S8 or Note 8 but am not considering the S8 because of that awkwardly placed rear fingerprint scanner.

Is the fingerprint scanner a deal breaker for anyone else? I cannot understand how having to pick up the phone and then fumble your finger at the back is convenient. Especially next to the camera lens, which I am sure people will smudge constantly as they attempt to unlock their phone.

I think this is a mistake on Samsung's part. I would rather have the bottom bezel a bit wider to accommodate a front facing scanner.

Anyone else?
    I like rear FPS, however don't like the placement for the S8
    02-15-2017 09:55 AM
    I`ve a Nexus 6P and find the figerprint scanner on the back centre to be spot on ,not sure if an offset scanner would feel quite"right".
    02-15-2017 11:10 AM
    I'm not too thrilled of its location either, to be honest. But I guess we'll get a better idea of how it works when we are able to hold it in our hands and such.
    02-15-2017 04:26 PM
    I don't like the placement of the fingerprint sensor but I'm going to reserve judgement until the final design is known.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    02-15-2017 05:15 PM
    If you've never used the rear scanner, it's WAY better and more practical. 6P owner here who had the Note 4
    02-15-2017 07:17 PM
    Im persoanlly, perfectly ok with the fingerprint scanner being on the back. Most of your fingers are placed behind the phone anyway so its actually pretty simple to just move your finger slightly to unlock it.

However i do agree with you that placing the fingerprint scanner near the top of the phone may be a little awkward since your fingers don't normally reach that high and you may place your finger on the camera lens which could cause smudging.

I'm sure Samsung has done A LOT of testing and lets just wait and see what we get. Only a could days away now. EXCITING
    02-16-2017 07:36 AM
    I don't mind a read FP scanner. The one on my Pixel XL is perfect. But move it up by the camera and it might be too far to stretch and still use it comfortably.
    02-16-2017 09:23 AM
    I don't like the rear fingerprint scanner either.

I have smaller hands and since these phones are bigger (and I plan to get the plus version), it would be even more difficult to reach not to mention the conflict with the camera lens and you have to have the phone faced down or in your hand to use it. With the front fingerprint scanner, its easy to access with your thumbs.

I'm still holding out for the surprise that there is also a fingerprint scanner embedded in the screen (that hopefully works with a screen protector on) so users would have both options available.

If not, I'm going to highly contemplate waiting out for the Note 8 and hopefully it will have a front fingerprint scanner.
    02-16-2017 10:41 AM
    I think it's a stupid design. I think they wanted to make the back look more symmetrical and nice looking, keeping their original design. If the fingerprint scanner was a circle and was located in the center of the back of the phone, it wouldn't "look like a Samsung phone". I don't think an imbedded fingerprint scanner on the display will come for a while. Supposedly Apple is trying to push out that technology on their next iPhone 8, but we'll see. Just put the darn thing in the back like the Pixel or V20, much more comfortable and convenient.
    02-17-2017 12:58 PM

Anyone else?
    I would probably keep your S5 if it's going well for you and hold out for the Note 8. The S5 has a removable battery so it'll last you another year. I think the S8 design is final and that's how it's going to look. Samsung is just trying to keep up with the Smartphone trends and make their phone beautiful as ever. The S5 was my last favorite Galaxy phone, it had it all: removable battery, SD card slot, IR blaster, fingerprint scanner, heart rate monitor, water-resistance.

Or possibly just pick up a used or refurbished S7 or S7 edge for about half the cost.
    02-17-2017 01:05 PM
28 12