Galaxy S8 or wait for Pixel 2?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If there was more information on what's upcoming for the Pixel 2, I'd wait. I prefer Samsung hardware but prefer Google's apps and have pretty much disabled all the Samsung apps that can be replaced by Google versions on my Note 4. I'm planning on going with a smaller phone this time and the regular Pixel's battery life and small storage is a concern.

I'm still mad at Google for killing Nexus. I even prefer the name over Pixel. I thought they were on the right track with the 6P and wanted to see them improve on that.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
There'll be features on the Pixel 2 that won't be on the S8/S8+ because the Pixel 2 will be coming out six months after the Samsung devices. If you want the latest and greatest now, the S8/S8+ would be your best bet. If you can wait, get the Pixel 2.

I'm going with the S8+ because I prefer Samsung devices over the Pixels.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
The Note 8 will probably be the device that will be more comparable to the Pixel 2 since they'll be released around the same time.
I think you're right.....The Note is a better comparison to the Pixel 2 as they will both be released about the same time.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
The Note 8 will probably be the device that will be more comparable to the Pixel 2 since they'll be released around the same time.

I think you're right.....The Note is a better comparison to the Pixel 2 as they will both be released about the same time.

But unless Google smartens up and allows other Carriers into the fray, the Pixel 2 is off the plate for me. There were a couple of great features that were unusable without being with Verizon on the first Pixel. Bah Humbug to them! Note 8 for me and AT&T (just to make it ryhme)! :)

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
But unless Google smartens up and allows other Carriers into the fray, the Pixel 2 is off the plate for me. There were a couple of great features that were unusable without being with Verizon on the first Pixel. Bah Humbug to them! Note 8 for me and AT&T (just to make it ryhme)! :)

I'm going with the Note 8 as well, even though the S8/S8+ will have some great features. I can wait, though.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm going with the Note 8 as well, even though the S8/S8+ will have some great features. I can wait, though.

Weird call to make 6 months in advance - we know nothing about the device :p This fall I'll either be on the iPhone X or whatever that is, Pixel 2 or Note 8 as well, but it'll depend on what's actually the best device available.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Weird call to make 6 months in advance - we know nothing about the device This fall I'll either be on the iPhone X or whatever that is, Pixel 2 or Note 8 as well, but it'll depend on what's actually the best device available.
Some people are just Note users. My wife is waiting for the Note as well. She could care less about anything else that's coming out. Don't have to know anything about the device if you know that's the type of device you want. I know I'm getting the Note as well, but I'll get the S8+ to hold me over until it comes out. I don't do iPhones, and I don't think there's much the Pixel can do to win me over. I prefer Samsung's vision for Android over Google's.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Some people are just Note users. My wife is waiting for the Note as well. She could care less about anything else that's coming out. Don't have to know anything about the device if you know that's the type of device you want. I know I'm getting the Note as well, but I'll get the S8+ to hold me over until it comes out. I don't do iPhones, and I don't think there's much the Pixel can do to win me over. I prefer Samsung's vision for Android over Google's.

The Note 7 was awesome! It had the S7 edge features + the S Pen. That was the perfect phone for me, until it exploded. :(

The Note line is the only line of phones I'm truly satisfied with.

facedown41

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I've been thinking about this for a while but I think the Pixel 2 will look mainly the same with it's giant bezels and that is something I've never wanted in a phone. S8 or G6 will be my new device it's looking like.

xdens

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
It is always better to buy things when they are required. What everyone will do when Pixel 2 will be released? Wait for S9?
I think better to buy S8 now and if you have enough money change S8 to Pixel 2.

Derek_B

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a Nexus 6P now, waiting to see what the pixel 2 looks like. I love Samsung's hardware, if they still did Google play editions, I'd seriously consider a Samsung one.

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting for the Pixel XL 2. Hopefully the bezels will shrink. I'm a former Samsung S1 then Note I owner that left for the OnePlus One. I've been holding out ever since. My OnePlus with CM now Lineage does everything I need it to and is very fast. The only issue is the poor camera(low light). I left the Samsung Note for poor software support and the then slow Touchwiz interface. I don't think I could ever go back for those reasons.

Usman3214

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
According to the main question, at this point, I would rather go with the phone I visually like and the one I've been using.

After all, using samsung since S2 means ur comfortable with it, switching to pixel would be new for me, in some cases, too new, and 'best phone' does not mean S8 is not capable of matching the pixel.

Although, switching to pixel later after selling the S8 can feasible.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I was talking about the Pixel2. Just imagine what that bad boy will go for.☺️

Yeah, it's probably going to be really expensive but Google definitely back up that price tag with killer specs and very fast performance. Their camera is the highest rated on Dx0mark :)

But that's only coming out in December and the Galaxy S8 is out in the next few weeks so it might be hard waiting 9 months for a device.

I think if you got the S8 you wouldn't have to upgrade for at least 3 years. It's got some killer 4.5G Internet connection speeds and Bluetooth 5.0. All brand new tech :)

mrnimziki

Feb 16, 2017
Visit site
Personally, I think this is a pretty big year for new phones and am interested in waiting out Google, Samsung (specifically for the Note 8), and yes, even Apple to see what they do with the iPhone (although I imagine I'll be staying with Android this time around unless I'm completely blown away). The one at the top of my list at the moment is the Note 8, but if I were you I'd probably stick it out and see what both phones are like when they're officially revealed. I have an S7E as well and it is still a great phone.

wazman21

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I've wondered this exact thing - my early upgrade comes up around August, so I'm actually looking forward to having several months of other people using the S8 so there are experienced opinions by the time Pixel 2 is out 👌. After having an S7, I wouldn't mind having an Android that gets timely software updates like iPhone. This all assumes Pixel 2 is on multiple networks too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34