Anyone a little gun-shy after the Note7 situation?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Folks,

I'm willing to give Samsung another chance, especially after hearing that an Apple phone recently suffered a similar fate recently. BUT I was wondering if anyone was a little hesitant to buy Samsung after the whole Note 7 affair? Now to be fair I DO appreciate their handling of it. They WERE open about it they DID to the right thing and recall the phone.

So what do you all think? Does Samsung get a pass? Are you just going to buy an S8? After all it's NOT the Note line? OR are you a little gun-shy? Are you going to take a wait and see? Or are you done with Samsung?

Discuss!

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
They do in my book. And am (im)patiently waiting for the S8 to get me through until Note 8 comes along. There's just no phone out there that 'feels right' (and I tried the V20, the Pixel, an iPhone 7 even). So good work Sammy, you made me addicted to your phones. Now, please, deliver.

Oh, and if they choose to finally release a red model at launch as rumored, then I won't even look, just hand them my wallet.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I've never owned a Samsung device, but this issue with the Note 7 definitely doesn't make me brave enough to try one now.

I even dissuaded my mother from purchasing a Samsung washer when she needed a new washer around the beginning of the year, since I also read about the exploding Samsung washers.

It'll take me at least a year and no recalls or serious issues to put Samsung under consideration for any product they sell, not just phones.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I think most people are a little concerned, but Samsung has already begun their long and extensive tests. If you look at their promo video, it shows them in the factory bending the phone and putting pressure on the phone hundreds of times to ensure durability.

https://youtu.be/Hkmp8SmtXSg

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've never bought a Samsung product before, but the Note 7 incident wouldn't deter me from considering one in the future - especially if the S8 doesn't have a home button.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Here is how i see it :) (shout at me if you disagree) haha

Over the years past few years OEMs have made some mistakes, some are a lot less noticeable than others but the important thing is people will still continue to support them.:) We all know about Apples 'Antennagate' & 'Bendgate' issues over the years. but they still million. What i liked most about Samsung was that they without doubt found the exact cause to the battery problem and are able to fix it.

So with that being said, I'm fully trusting that Samsung will bring a beautiful Galaxy S8, and Note 8 device to the world without problems. The device looks amazing and i have a great feeling :D

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Here is how i see it :) (shout at me if you disagree) haha

Over the years past few years OEMs have made some mistakes, some are a lot less noticeable than others but the important thing is people will still continue to support them.:) We all know about Apples 'Antennagate' & 'Bendgate' issues over the years. but they still million. What i liked most about Samsung was that they without doubt found the exact cause to the battery problem and are able to fix it.

So with that being said, I'm fully trusting that Samsung will bring a beautiful Galaxy S8, and Note 8 device to the world without problems. The device looks amazing and i have a great feeling :D

Agreed. When the iPhone 6 was bending easily in people's pockets, people still bought the phone. Apple said nothing about it and claimed no responsibility and never apologizes. In fact, Apple has always been bashing Sammy for copying their design. They got sued, Samsung respectfully agreed to pay, though in truckloads of pennies. ������

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. When the iPhone 6 was bending easily in people's pockets, people still bought the phone. Apple said nothing about it and claimed no responsibility and never apologizes. In fact, Apple has always been bashing Sammy for copying their design. They got sued, Samsung respectfully agreed to pay, though in truckloads of pennies. ������

Urban legend, though. Samsung DID NOT try to pay Apple $1 billion in nickels | Fortune.com

Would have been cool, alas, nope.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I pre-ordered the original Note 7, had to return that one because of the recall. I received my replacement Note 7 and that one was recalled as well. Despite the recall i kept using my note 7 until the end of January and finally turned it in (after Verizon shut off service to it).

I have been limping along on mu old 5s ever since. That being said, the note 7 was the best phone i have ever used, i plan on pre-ordering the S8 as soon as i can.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Not even a thought to not get the S8+. The Note7 debacle could have happened to any manufacturer. The Note7 was the best phone I ever owned, for the short time I had it. There are more checks in place than ever before. Absolutely will not hesitate to buy my next one or pre-order.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Nope, not gun shy at all. I wasn't even worried about my Note 7 when I had it. I'll continue to buy Samsung until someone makes a product that I like more.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm not buying one until I know they won't blow up. It's not that the batteries blew up, my problem is that Samsung told us they fixed the problem and they really didn't. I don't trust them anymore.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered the original Note 7, had to return that one because of the recall. I received my replacement Note 7 and that one was recalled as well. Despite the recall i kept using my note 7 until the end of January and finally turned it in (after Verizon shut off service to it).

I have been limping along on mu old 5s ever since. That being said, the note 7 was the best phone i have ever used, i plan on pre-ordering the S8 as soon as i can.

Similar story but I went back to my Note 5 and couldn't handle the battery life after having the Note 7s so bought an AT&T Galaxy S7 Active with 4000 mAh battery. That's carrying me right over the S8 to the Note 8 introduction... yeah, I'm gonna wait for my new Note!

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I definitely am still interested. There's just something about their phones. They keep up with my work and home use. Though blotchy at times they are powerhouse phones. Currently have s7edge that I plan to ju.o to the new note from, and have a note 4 as 2ndary phone/backup

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm not a Samsung fan, however if I was I would wait until it was out for a bit. I'm sure they are working hard to get it right but I would want to take the risk.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Nope ........ I am far, far from shy

If anything I believe because of the N7 fiasco ....... Samsung would had taken even extra precautions to ensure the S8 would be their best release ever ??

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Nope ........ I am far, far from shy

If anything I believe because of the N7 fiasco ....... Samsung would had taken even extra precautions to ensure the S8 would be their best release ever ??
Yeah but you might ignite it by downloading all those GIFs
607afb41fd15ae6bc4b151d8a27b204d.gif

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm gun shy now. Not about Samsung but about any phone (this could have happened to any phone). I will likely wait 30 days before buying new again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34