Is the Galaxy S8 going to be the biggest Android phone of the year?

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
James Falconer wants us to discuss so here's the post - I started it but I truly believe the Note 8 (only because that's my choice :cool:) will be! What does everyone think with the little info we have so far?

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I personally like the Note line too, but the truth is that's always been a niche product (a VERY POPULAR niche, mind you), and it's always outdone in sales by the simpler older brother, the S line. I don't think that'll change this year. But I do think they'll see fierce competition from the likes of the V30 or Pixel 2 (and of course iPhone, but you did say Android phone :p)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I think the s8 will be a big seller for Samsung. I will be interested to see what they add to it and how they work to try and alleviate any fears users may have from the note 7 fiasco.

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Like James said, it will be the biggest.

Samsung spends amazing amounts on R&D and beside that, their top tier phones have always been considered as 'the best' for some time now. Most people are familiar with Samsung aswell and when they pick up an android phone it's mostly a Samsung.

Beside all that, the s8 is probably going to be a beast spec wise.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Anything larger than a 6.2 would be considered a tablet. Maybe 6.5??

It'll be famous alright, but the Note 8 will definitely be the "bigger" of the two.

Sorry Folks - I don't think James was implying "Physical Size" when he said "Biggest Android" Phone of the year - I think he meant "Best Selling", "Most Interest", "Most Talked About", etc., etc., etc. Sorry if I worded it wrong...

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Sorry Folks - I don't think James was implying "Physical Size" when he said "Biggest Android" Phone of the year - I think he meant "Best Selling", "Most Interest", "Most Talked About", etc., etc., etc. Sorry if I worded it wrong...
It's pretty obvious it'll be the best selling Android phone of the year by a long shot. Not even a competition, but will it the best Android phone that's up for grabs since different people prefer different things. Pixel 2 can be superior in terms of software and camera, Samsung is superior in hardware, someone else does something better. So it may not be universally the best phone for everyone but best selling is not even a competition.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hmm thats tough question. I think only time will tell. :)

The S7 and S7 Edge did very well last year and certainly sold by the millions. They also picked up a coupe awards last year and even one this year!

So i do expect the S8 and S8+ to at least be in the top 4 this year. Who knows, maybe LG will upset things with their G6 and steal some lime light from Samsung. :D

As i said to Mr. Mobile, 2017 is going to be an exciting year for tech.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the S8 will be the best selling Android phone of the year. The iPhone may one of the top selling year to year, but that doesn't make it a better phone. Just like with music, the best selling artists and not necessarily the best, just more popular. Players that get voted into all star games are not necessarily the best, just more popular.
LG doesn't have a long enough track record to have a big following yet. Moto is slowly dying off, Sony flagships are not available in every market and HTC has had too many duds in the past where even if they came out with a great design it would go under the radar.
If Google sold the Pixel through all of the carriers, it may give Samsung a battle. However, they would need to step up the design a little to compete.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
The s8 will probably sell at least 3x more than the next best selling android phone. Samsung pumps a ton of $$ into advertising and people know the samsung brand. I am interested to see how they have refined touchwiz. I like the removal of buttons on the front, but touchwiz is what I am most interested in.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
The s8 will probably sell at least 3x more than the next best selling android phone. Samsung pumps a ton of $$ into advertising and people know the samsung brand. I am interested to see how they have refined touchwiz. I like the removal of buttons on the front, but touchwiz is what I am most interested in.

I agree about touchwiz and Samsung's ability to speed up the phone. The biggest issues with Samsung's phones have been how laggy and slow they are. If Samsung can fix those issue, it will be hard to beat their phones. If they can't fix those issues, they will open the door for other manufacturers, although I do not see any of the other manufacturers beating Samsung's sales this year. LG and HTC always find a way (or ways) to have their products fail. This year looks no different. Going forward, the biggest competition for Samsung may come from Google, if they learn from the mistakes with the Pixel, Huawei or one of the upcoming companies.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If Google sold the Pixel through all of the carriers, it may give Samsung a battle. However, they would need to step up the design a little to compete.

I only quoted your last sentence because it really hit home with me - I had a Pixel on order this past fall but I'm with AT&T and while I was waiting for the phone to be shipped, I kept thinking about the functions I would be sacrificing because I wasn't with Verizon. I finally cancelled the order while I still could and still not get charged for it - the BEST thing Google could do for their SALES of the Pixel 2 would be to make it available to all Carriers as you stated. I think it would be remarkable for their bottom line right from day one!!!

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Definitely not. The Note8 will be the biggest Android phone this year. It'll be the model right after the Note7 and all eyes will be on it.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the Note series will ever top the S series for 2 main reasons - size and price. Typically, they're $100 more than the S series and also larger. I believe the Note sales are closer to 50% of the S sales, if I'm not mistaken.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Definitely not. The Note8 will be the biggest Android phone this year. It'll be the model right after the Note7 and all eyes will be on it.

Eh the s series always outsells the note line. The s series is more consumer focused with the note line being the more power users line.

Tmwjam

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I agree the S8 and S8 plus will do much of the business the regular consumers like those and I see plenty of those out and about compared to the note series that I prefer.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Much as I hate to say it, I think you guys are right... I am a Note Guy but the "S" Series does out sell the Note because the Note is more of a niche item. Someone said that "power users" go for the Note but the S Series has great features too. I just love my Notes. Despite the entire Note 7 fiasco, I would take that phone back in a nano-second if I could - BEST phone I have EVER owned, hands down! I am hoping that Samsung has done their homework and DOES NOT DISAPPOINT when the Note 8 arrives in August/September!

This is an S8 Thread so I will get off my Note Soapbox now!

Un_Laugh.jpg

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Much as I hate to say it, I think you guys are right... I am a Note Guy but the "S" Series does out sell the Note because the Note is more of a niche item. Someone said that "power users" go for the Note but the S Series has great features too. I just love my Notes. Despite the entire Note 7 fiasco, I would take that phone back in a nano-second if I could - BEST phone I have EVER owned, hands down! I am hoping that Samsung has done their homework and DOES NOT DISAPPOINT when the Note 8 arrives in August/September!

This is an S8 Thread so I will get off my Note Soapbox now!

View attachment 253536

I also think with the s line having smaller sizes that attracts more users as well. Not everyone wants a huge device.