Galaxy S8 overhyped??

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at the specs so far and it seems like a Galaxy S7 Edge version 1.5. Still no dual cameras, still 12 MP sensor, still 4GB of ram, still 3000 mAh. The only thing cool is the larger size and small bezels. All they did was move the home button to the backside, trimmed the bezels, and added a new processor. I was expecting something more innovative from Samsung, which was once the leader for innovative mobile tech in the past few years. Dual cameras would have been nice. After using it many times on my LG, it would seem like a no brainer for Samsung. Thoughts? Are you upgrading from an S7 Edge?

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
People said the same thing about the Note 7, and then Samsung couldn't get people to return the phone even if their life depended on it.

None of us know all of the "under the hood" changes yet.

Rico4you

Q&A Team
Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
I'm looking at the specs so far and it seems like a Galaxy S7 Edge version 1.5. Still no dual cameras, still 12 MP sensor, still 4GB of ram, still 3000 mAh. The only thing cool is the larger size and small bezels. All they did was move the home button to the backside, trimmed the bezels, and added a new processor. I was expecting something more innovative from Samsung, which was once the leader for innovative mobile tech in the past few years. Dual cameras would have been nice. After using it many times on my LG, it would seem like a no brainer for Samsung. Thoughts? Are you upgrading from an S7 Edge?

Rico4you

Q&A Team
Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
At this point in time it seems that Samsung is to price S8 very expensive that's why will consider heavily the BlackBerry KEYone and LGG6. Feel Samsung has cheated on me.

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Depends on the hardware and how much time they invested in the software. Also samsung probably lost a sh*t load of money on the note 7 debacle and will probably up their marketing with will cost extra money as well.

Don't think it will be that much more in comparison to the s7 (launch price).

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
You can't expect Samsung to totally change up a phone in one year. However, the S8 is probably the biggest update design-wise than in years past. I'm not falling for the dual camera carrot. If it's so great, how come high end cameras don't have them? It's just covering up some deficiencies IMO.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
It gets to the point that the more the phone is hyped, the less i want to buy it. Leaks here, leaks there. The companies drive up anticipation, so they can drive up the prices. Now T-Mobile is giving a hugh discount and a 128gb SD card on their S7 & S7Edge. Since companies are in business to make money, i'd like to know just how much T-Mobile paid Samsung for each phone. My uneducated guess is about $100.00 per unit. If i had paid full price, about two weeks ago for the S7, i'd be in their store demanding my money back. The price of most cellphones is crazy.:mad:

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
If you don't buy a phone when it's first released, you'd do best to wait for a deal because these types of sales happen all the time, especially right before the new device is about to be released.

I do find myself somewhat underwhelmed with the S8. However, I was underwhelmed by the Note 7, and then I didn't want to give it back. I like My S7 edge, but I would prefer to have more storage. I also really liked the Iris scanner on my Note 7. So I'm hoping I'll love The S8 just like I loved My Note.

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes, and the batteries are tiny, 3000 mah for the 8 with a 5.8 inch screen, 3500 for the 6.2, Samsung is not known for efficient chip sets, this phone will be a turd, which pissed me off cause the 7 Edge plus has a 3600 battery which does pretty good, with the 8 you might need a battery case to make it to lunch

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
We don't know how it performs. That's the most important thing
I'm sure it'll be no worse than the S7 edge and likely not a ton better. We're at the point of diminishing returns. Hopefully battery life is the same or better though. I feel like there's not gonna be any surprises with performance. I have no performance problems with my S7 edge.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure it'll be no worse than the S7 edge and likely not a ton better. We're at the point of diminishing returns. Hopefully battery life is the same or better though. I feel like there's not gonna be any surprises with performance. I have no performance problems with my S7 edge.

I only kinda agree. Looking at the new G6 or One Plus 3t, or even the failed Note 7, I think Samsung could still VERY much improve on the S7 with some under the hood enhancements that make the user experience better. These are things you just aren't going to get from teaser "leaks".

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
We don't know how it performs. That's the most important thing

I agree with this. I am very interested in how it performs. People can say that the S7 and S7E perform fine, but most people notice how much faster and smoother phones like the Pixel, OnePlus 3, Mate 9 and others are than the Galaxy phones. It is not even close in my opinion and makes it frustrating to use the S7 or S7E. If Samsung can achieve the speed and smooth operation of many of these other phones, I will be sold. If not, it will just be a S7E in a different form and I will likely pass and keep my (spare) S7. Battery life will also be very important with the new chipset.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree with this. I am very interested in how it performs. People can say that the S7 and S7E perform fine, but most people notice how much faster and smoother phones like the Pixel, OnePlus 3, Mate 9 and others are than the Galaxy phones. It is not even close in my opinion and makes it frustrating to use the S7 or S7E. If Samsung can achieve the speed and smooth operation of many of these other phones, I will be sold. If not, it will just be a S7E in a different form and I will likely pass and keep my (spare) S7. Battery life will also be very important with the new chipset.

I can agree that other phones seem to be a little snappier. I have a Moto Z and that little thing is quick. Yet still, it sits in a drawer and I use my S7 edge. If you're not constantly comparing it to other phones you're not really going to notice it much. Every year everyone says, we have to see how it performs. Every year people complain about it and it still goes on to be the best selling Android phone by millions. I'm willing to put up with it not being as quick as other phones since it has all the features I want. If it's the new snappiest phone, I will be pleasantly surprised. If it's the same or a little better than my S7 edge, then it'll be par for the course. I'm never frustrated with my S7 edge's speed so I'm not worried about it.