I use Nova gestures for this. I can swipe down from any home screen and it pulls it down.
    Same here! Well, that and the smaller S8 is a joy to use.
    Almeuit likes this.
    06-16-2017 02:44 PM
    I use Nova gestures for this. I can swipe down from any home screen and it pulls it down.
    I tried Nova for awhile but I like to switch back and forth between that and stock and for some reason after I installed Nova when I went back to stock I couldn't resize widgets on the stock launcher. Had to factory reset to fix it. So i just stick to stock now.
    06-16-2017 02:45 PM

Sorry to get all ranty on y'all, but WHY does Samsung keep trying to fix what wasn't broken?

If companies didn't do that, we'd still be talking on flip phones and pressing the 7 button four times to type an "S". lol.
    06-16-2017 03:11 PM
    If companies didn't do that, we'd still be talking on flip phones and pressing the 7 button four times to type an "S". lol.
    Thank You.

Also look, not everything phone makers do is going to work. But I prefer to encourage foward moving tech over just releasing the same phone year after year.

People would complain about that too.
    06-16-2017 03:26 PM
    Hell lets make it short and fat. Ppl will still cry lmao
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    06-16-2017 03:27 PM
    Thank You.

Also look, not everything phone makers do is going to work. But I prefer to encourage foward moving tech over just releasing the same phone year after year.

Exactly. I mean we had the horrors of the Nokia taco phone and the Moto banana phone (I actually liked the non-banana version of the Moto Z3, lol). Everything isn't going to work out. But Samsung tried the "edge" on the Galaxy Note Edge. Then brought that into I think it was the S7 Edge, but not the smaller S7. And now that it's been a popular feature, they put it on both the S8 and S8+. At this point, every smartphone looks really similar. Take the first iPhone and what we're using now is still for the most part the same. The industry needs these new ideas to move tech forward. Even if they flop, it's still progress.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    06-16-2017 03:47 PM
    This.
    06-16-2017 03:54 PM
    Hell lets make it short and fat.
    Just turn it sideways. : )
    06-16-2017 04:16 PM
    I just think it's too narrow to type comfortably on.

The antithesis of the BB Passport.
    Mike-Mike likes this.
    06-16-2017 04:16 PM
    I just think it's too narrow to type comfortably on.

The antithesis of the BB Passport.
    Have you even owned the s8 ? judging by your first comment you haven't and why you say stuff when you haven't tried it baffles me...... the g6 has the same aspect basically (.5 dosen't change anything really) and a smaller screen, where's as the s8 has 2 size for more people smaller bezels and more functions overall (+ imho it's a better bang for buck). Also the passport has nothing to do here it's not even running android lol.
    06-16-2017 06:26 PM
    Attachment 262090
    Attachment 262089

ZTE Zmax Pro: 6.0'
    Galaxy S8 Plus: 6.2'

LG V20: 5.7'
    Galaxy S8 Plus: 6.2

Of both phones, the S8 Plus appears to have a smaller screen although it has an 6.2 inch screen. I agree the phone is way to long and is annoying to use, you can't pull down the notification bar while using it one handed (unless you slide your hand all the way up). Very ironic, it was supposed to be easier to use one handed but it's actually not. The Note 7 looks much better, it's actually fully symmetrical whereas the S8 Plus is more curvy on the front.
    You can make videos full screen on the S8 and S8+ 6.2 is definitely bigger the 5.7 on the V20 and the display is by far better visually.
    Qc_Anubis, gregg6942 and crzycrkr like this.
    06-17-2017 11:42 AM
    Thank You.

Your reply, and the reply that you responded to, are completely absurd.

So let's be completely clear: I really don't think you guys can read what I said.

1. DUH, I know that I don't have to buy it. But remember, this thread is about "It looks too tall and too thin", and I'm getting BS responses pretending that I said something about not wanting any change. I didn't say that, this thread is about tall and thin, and I'm simply chiming in with my agreement with the OP.

2. To THAT extent, knock it off please. OF COURSE change is good. But some change is just stupid, and or stupid looking, to at least me. You got that? To me.

---> Did I trying to convince any of you to not get this phone? No.
    ---> Did I make it clear that I really loved Samsung pioneering the way to larger phones? Yes.
    ---> Did I make it clear that I'm not against change in general? Yes.

And still you guys persist with this stupid mantra with works to the effect of "well if phones didn't change, they'd still be _____" <-----Insert some low intellect description.
    jhimmel likes this.
    06-17-2017 01:17 PM
    since screen size is measured diagonally Samsung could claim a larger screen size with a taller screen but a similar width to their other phones. that is if the width is nine units and the hight is 16 units than the screen size is 18.36 units. increase the hight to 18 units and the screen size increases to 20.12 units. simple math but great for marketing.
    06-17-2017 01:25 PM

So let's be completely clear: I really don't think you guys can read what I said.

1. DUH, I know that I don't have to buy it. But remember, this thread is about "It looks too tall and too thin", and I'm getting BS responses pretending that I said something about not wanting any change. I didn't say that, this thread is about tall and thin, and I'm simply chiming in with my agreement with the OP.

2. To THAT extent, knock it off please. OF COURSE change is good. But some change is just stupid, and or stupid looking, to at least me. You got that? To me.

---> Did I make it clear that I really loved Samsung pioneering the way to larger phones? Yes.

And still you guys persist with this stupid mantra with works to the effect of "well if phones didn't change, they'd still be _____" <-----Insert some low intellect description.
    First, this was a three month old thread that was made before anyone here actually had the phone in their hand.

Second, I was keeping it light hearted, if using the phrases "taco phone" and "banana phone" (talking about actual, specific phone models) didn't make that obvious. And I was actually enjoying talking a bit about how technology has moved in the past 15 years. With some light "tech philosophy" added in (I may have not written anything to that effect, but it made me think more on that path).

So while I was enjoying this thread, this harsh response from you makes it no longer enjoyable. So if that's the tone this thread is going to take, I'll keep my distance from here on. I don't appreciate being referred to as low intellect.
    06-17-2017 02:14 PM

Maybe you need to get over yourself, because my post was not a direct response to yours, it was a general post to everyone in the thread. If I had wanted to respond directly to you, I would have quoted you like I just did now. See how that works?

Maybe you need to lighten up a realize we are debating phones here, not something that super important.
    06-17-2017 04:28 PM
    I've had Note 2, Note 3, Note 4, Note 5, Note 7, S7 Edge and now an S8+. By far the best feeling, to me, is the S8+.
    Sounds exactly like me,except I had a LG V20 instead of the S7 edge. This is the best phone for me right now, until the Note8 comes out, I'm still missing my Spen.
    06-18-2017 02:12 PM
    Mod Note: let's keep the discussion civil and on topic please. Thank you.
    TheyCallMeBT likes this.
    06-18-2017 03:52 PM
    I remember working in retail electronics in 2000 and people were complaining about those wide screen TVs. "Why are they not square like the older models??" LOL
    06-19-2017 12:52 PM
    I don't get why Op think the phone is too thin though.... iphones are wayyyyy thiner and i didn't see anyone complaining about it ? I do agree the g6 is the more classy looking phone but imho samsung did a great job on the s8 even if i too hate the new aspect ratio (would've love a 6.2 inch with 16:9 ratio) but hey tech can't get better if company don't take risk so sticking with my s8+ with no doubt.
    06-21-2017 01:14 PM
    I sold my S8+ for Huawei P10 Plus and can't decide which I prefer when using along with my S8.
    06-21-2017 01:29 PM
    This isn't rocket science. If you don't like the design, then look elsewhere. Again every phone will have something that somebody won't like. That's why they don't buy it. That's the best thing about variety. There are plenty of other androids to pick from that better suit your likes. As opposed to Apple, where your stuck with whatever design is out.
    Qc_Anubis likes this.
    06-21-2017 02:28 PM
    No doubt some people just prefer their screens to be 16x9. The S8's screen format IS just as much an experiment then anything else... ALOT of content for a phone user is ingested in a vertical format and samsung thought that maybe seeing more of it length wise would be more enjoyable. The only impact this has on is videos.. something that is secondary to everything else the phone is used for.

I'm ok with it.. I think it gives me more screen estate while offering a smaller phone size.. but I'm a big youtube watcher and not so much a social network user so I think my next phone will be more video friendly.
    recDNA likes this.
    06-21-2017 06:02 PM
    I completely agree with the too tall and skinny sentiment.

Sorry to get all ranty on y'all, but WHY does Samsung keep trying to fix what wasn't broken?

I have an old Note 2 and I simply will not upgrade to an N8 because of this. I've seen review after review and I don't care how it fits in my hand, my Note 2 fits perfectly. The apps on the N8 look stupid. Videos look stupid. Pictures look stupid. And putting it into your front pocket puts too much stress on the phone because of its length.

Frankly, everything about the aspect ration of the Note 2 is perfect IMO for a phone/phablet.

I'm looking elsewhere now. If I have to, I'll root another manufacturer's phone to an Android standard distribution if I don't like the skin tweaks that HTC, et. al. do (a major selling feature of Samsungs IMO), but I simply will not deal with a phone that looks like the new Samsungs.

The Note 2 fits so well in my front pocket as well.
    I have the note 5 and s8+. Love the aspect ratio of the Note 5. Also like the 8+ esp when I have it in the Defender case. That ads some decent width to it
    Qc_Anubis likes this.
    06-21-2017 06:11 PM
    This isn't rocket science. If you don't like the design, then look elsewhere. Again every phone will have something that somebody won't like. That's why they don't buy it. That's the best thing about variety. There are plenty of other androids to pick from that better suit your likes. As opposed to Apple, where your stuck with whatever design is out.
    The trouble is it appears 18/9 is becoming the new standard for flagship phones. Since I watch a lot of tv and sports(all in 16/9) I hate the new aspect ratio. I do worry that when my V20 needs to be replaced there will be no flagship with the ratio of my tv.

I have also found I don't like it for Excel.
    06-22-2017 07:27 PM
    As above. This phone looks stupid AF.

LG have managed to make the G6 in normal proportions despite the 18:9...

Agree?
    Any idea how many women I passed that weren't "for me" before I met my girlfriend? Did I have anything negative to say about the others? No, I moved along silently without spreading my negativity.
    06-22-2017 07:46 PM
66 123