It looks too tall and too thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I think this would fit perfectly in my hands but we'll have to see once I actually have it haaaa !!

I like that the S8+ seems to be a little thinner and taller than the Note 7 so my fingers will easily grasp it

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The S8+ is going to be narrower than my iPhone 7 Plus and just as tall. I'll probably get it if the battery life is equal to or better than my 7+.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
As above. This phone looks stupid AF.

LG have managed to make the G6 in normal proportions despite the 18:9...

Agree?

Wait till the phone is in your hand. Then make a final decision. You never know, you may actually really like the size. :)

I remember back when Apple increased the screen size from 3.5 to 4.0" inches and people posted pictures like this (below) saying the phone was too tall and silly. How times have changed with 6.1" inch devices now being made.

I think, by having the device's width a little narrower, it could allow for more one handed use. Obviously not for the top of the screen but being able to reach both edges with your thumb. Im very excited for it and cant wait to hold one.

Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 8.44.41 AM.png

tgm1024

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
I completely agree with the too tall and skinny sentiment.

Sorry to get all ranty on y'all, but WHY does Samsung keep trying to fix what wasn't broken?

I have an old Note 2 and I simply will not upgrade to an N8 because of this. I've seen review after review and I don't care how it fits in my hand, my Note 2 fits perfectly. The apps on the N8 look stupid. Videos look stupid. Pictures look stupid. And putting it into your front pocket puts too much stress on the phone because of its length.

Frankly, everything about the aspect ration of the Note 2 is perfect IMO for a phone/phablet.

I'm looking elsewhere now. If I have to, I'll root another manufacturer's phone to an Android standard distribution if I don't like the skin tweaks that HTC, et. al. do (a major selling feature of Samsungs IMO), but I simply will not deal with a phone that looks like the new Samsungs.

The Note 2 fits so well in my front pocket as well.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Sorry to get all ranty on y'all, but WHY does Samsung keep trying to fix what wasn't broken?

I have an old Note 2 and I simply will not upgrade to an N8 because of this. I've seen review after review and I don't care how it fits in my hand, my Note 2 fits perfectly. The apps on the N8 look stupid. Videos look stupid. Pictures look stupid. And putting it into your front pocket puts too much stress on the phone because of its length.

Frankly, everything about the aspect ration of the Note 2 is perfect IMO for a phone/phablet.

I'm looking elsewhere now. If I have to, I'll root another manufacturer's phone to an Android standard distribution if I don't like the skin tweaks that HTC, et. al. do (a major selling feature of Samsungs IMO), but I simply will not deal with a phone that looks like the new Samsungs.

Ok.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Sorry to say but you're definitely in a very small percentage that .. Samsung most likely doesn't care about. They aren't going to give in to a few people who never like or want change. They're going to keep doing what they do and keep making / selling tons of phones to people who do like the upgrades.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
The s8 is my first android, moving from IPhone. I have to say I disagree, I don't have an issue with the screen size and actually feel the s8 is the right size for me to be productive with.

The + I think is to big... The 8 through seems to be right for me. That will be different for different folks mind you.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
The s8 is my first android, moving from IPhone. I have to say I disagree, I don't have an issue with the screen size and actually feel the s8 is the right size for me to be productive with.

The + I think is to big... The 8 through seems to be right for me. That will be different for different folks mind you.

Agree 100%

tgm1024

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to say but you're definitely in a very small percentage that .. Samsung most likely doesn't care about. They aren't going to give in to a few people who never like or want change. They're going to keep doing what they do and keep making / selling tons of phones to people who do like the upgrades.

Where did I say that I don't like change?

Read what I said again.

I just don't like this change.

I'm more than willing to upgrade my phone to the latest and greatest. Just not something that tall and skinny.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Where did I say that I don't like change?

Read what I said again.

I just don't like this change.

I'm more than willing to upgrade my phone to the latest and greatest. Just not something that tall and skinny.

Well exactly -- You don't like this change but Samsung has done it for awhile now and many people do. Therefore they're going with the majority that seem to like / enjoy the change.

tgm1024

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Well exactly -- You don't like this change but Samsung has done it for awhile now and many people do. Therefore they're going with the majority that seem to like / enjoy the change.

They weren't going with the majority, because there was no other phone like it at the time they made their decision to do this. Seems like the majority likes it now though.

When Samsung came out with the Note series, they were in the same boat. They took the same risk. They got busted on left and right for making a phone way too big. However that one I could immediately see as just what the world needed: A phone that you can really access the internet on. That size took off.

However this change, to me, is just way over the top. Doesn't matter if I'm part of a million people, or 5.

Not all change is created equal.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
They weren't going with the majority, because there was no other phone like it at the time they made their decision to do this. Seems like the majority likes it now though.
While designing a major product, companies usually do market research. They try to find a representative sample of potential customers, and find out what most of them would want if given the choice (even if that choice isn't yet available). If they do it right, they can predict what a majority of customers will prefer in the future.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had Note 2, Note 3, Note 4, Note 5, Note 7, S7 Edge and now an S8+. By far the best feeling, to me, is the S8+.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

When Samsung came out with the Note series, they were in the same boat. They took the same risk. They got busted on left and right for making a phone way too big. However that one I could immediately see as just what the world needed: A phone that you can really access the internet on. That size took off.

However this change, to me, is just way over the top. Doesn't matter if I'm part of a million people, or 5.

Not all change is created equal.

Wish I could agree, but I don't. I love the way these new phones feel in the hand, much more so than the wider phones that feel very uncomfortable after holding them for long periods of time.

I can take or leave super thin bezels. But count me as in with the new aspect ratio.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.