03-24-2017 10:36 AM
72 123
tools
    I'm a samsung fan. Have been since the galaxy S4. Back then, it seems like the next iteration was really different. But looking at the S8, I don't see a reason to leave my S7 edge. First of all, we were led to believe that the entire front of this device was going to be all screen. Just like the Mi Mix. Well, it's not. I realize it'll have the 835 chip, but really, how much faster in REAL WORLD TIME will it be. A millisecond? Average consumer won't notice, and for the price of these handsets, won't care. Then there's size. If the screen is larger, but the body isn't, that's cool. But I tried to live with the LG v10 as a backup, and just couldn't stand the shear bulk of that device. The S7 edge has a great screen, fast processor, excellent battery life, sd expansion and a lot more of what one would expect in a top tier phone. I see no reason to give it up. To be honest, none of the Samsung phones include one thing I really want, and that's a true hifi dac AND dolby atmos. That's the reason why I carry 2 phones. My other, is an axon7 that has tremendous audio performance. And to be honest, it's as good a performer in every respect as the S7 edge except for 1 thing, Speed. It's actually faster. Maybe next year when the S9 comes out, it'll really warrant my 1000.00 purchase, but not on the S8.
    03-13-2017 05:49 AM
    You make some good points. I'm not sure if I'll upgrade from my S8 for a lot of the same reasons. For me, the speed is good on my S8 as well as the camera and battery life. Unless the S8 has some remarkable advantage over my S8, I'll wait for the next version.
    03-13-2017 06:01 AM
    The only reason I have A7 Edge is because my Note 7 was a defective phone so I don't have this phone by choice. If the S8 plus has what I'm looking for, I may upgrade to it as I would be very pleased because it would be upgrading by choice
    03-13-2017 07:08 AM
    Since when has it ever been about NEED?

03-13-2017 07:56 AM
    The only reason I have A7 Edge is because my Note 7 was a defective phone so I don't have this phone by choice. If the S8 plus has what I'm looking for, I may upgrade to it as I would be very pleased because it would be upgrading by choice
    A valid reason.
    amyf27 likes this.
    03-13-2017 08:17 AM
    You make some good points. I'm not sure if I'll upgrade from my S8 for a lot of the same reasons. For me, the speed is good on my S8 as well as the camera and battery life. Unless the S8 has some remarkable advantage over my S8, I'll wait for the next version.
    Um....
    03-13-2017 08:44 AM
    If people only upgraded based on need, then the cell phone business as a whole would be hurting badly.
    DWS44 and JokiingSutra like this.
    03-13-2017 09:11 AM
    I thought every two years - not every year, every new model.
    03-13-2017 09:28 AM
    Do I need to? I haven't needed to upgrade in a long time -- I just have issues :P.
    bigmatt503, amyf27, DWS44 and 1 others like this.
    03-13-2017 09:52 AM
    Need? No. Nobody needs to upgrade from an S7 edge. The only reason one would upgrade is because they want to upgrade.
    amyf27 likes this.
    03-13-2017 03:51 PM
    It's not that the SD 835 is faster, it will load apps quicker, multi task better, save battery by using less energy, improve camera features and so on. Just like computer programs, apps get a lot more demanding as phones get faster to run them.

Oh yeah...and it also has QC 4.0.
    03-13-2017 05:40 PM
    Now we need a tuned cooler and months of testing, development and OS 8.

Packs a lot to deliver speed, 4k. So giving it until 2018 to mature. It's built for ext generation in so many was.
    03-13-2017 06:57 PM
    If people only upgraded based on need, then the cell phone business as a whole would be hurting badly.
    People used to upgrade based on upgrade availability. Now they jump on demand.
    libra89 and jn3wman like this.
    03-13-2017 07:56 PM
    Waste of a topic.

You update when you chose. on one is making you update Your phone.
    03-13-2017 09:13 PM
    If I wasn't planning on switching carriers, I would gladly stick with my S7, but I figure since I am going to change carriers may as well wait until the S8 is out and get that instead which will take me from the odd numbered Galaxies to the even numbered ones.
    03-13-2017 09:45 PM
    I've had my phone since 2014, I'll upgrade when it's dead.
    amyf27 likes this.
    03-14-2017 09:20 AM
    I'm a samsung fan. Have been since the galaxy S4. Back then, it seems like the next iteration was really different. But looking at the S8, I don't see a reason to leave my S7 edge. First of all, we were led to believe that the entire front of this device was going to be all screen. Just like the Mi Mix. Well, it's not. I realize it'll have the 835 chip, but really, how much faster in REAL WORLD TIME will it be. A millisecond? Average consumer won't notice, and for the price of these handsets, won't care. Then there's size. If the screen is larger, but the body isn't, that's cool. But I tried to live with the LG v10 as a backup, and just couldn't stand the shear bulk of that device. The S7 edge has a great screen, fast processor, excellent battery life, sd expansion and a lot more of what one would expect in a top tier phone. I see no reason to give it up. To be honest, none of the Samsung phones include one thing I really want, and that's a true hifi dac AND dolby atmos. That's the reason why I carry 2 phones. My other, is an axon7 that has tremendous audio performance. And to be honest, it's as good a performer in every respect as the S7 edge except for 1 thing, Speed. It's actually faster. Maybe next year when the S9 comes out, it'll really warrant my 1000.00 purchase, but not on the S8.
    Same
    03-14-2017 09:24 AM
    Folks around here, and they probably don't want to hear it...

They upgrade to have the latest, greatest, newest device to keep up with the Jonses on the forum, FB, social media, in life.

Unless you really need to upgrade, why do it? The next latest and greatest is just a few months away anyway.

My Note 5 64GB is blazing fast, reliable, great audio, display is about as good as it gets...

When Google and Verizon stop their updates... then I'll get the latest and greatest. And move the Note 5 to backup role.

YMMV. ๐Ÿ˜‰ It's your money... have at it and have fun!
    biscuit1896 likes this.
    03-14-2017 11:46 AM
    As u know i sold my s7 edge for axon7 limited edition so looking forward to s8 but after I saw the leaks... I find it far from a beauty to ugly... Soo leaning towards LG G6 which has 64gb audio dac and dual camera set up
    03-14-2017 12:01 PM
    As u know i sold my s7 edge for axon7 limited edition so looking forward to s8 but after I saw the leaks... I find it far from a beauty to ugly... Soo leaning towards LG G6 which has 64gb audio dac and dual camera set up
    Don't forget that audio dac will not be in the USA version of the G6, only Asia. If you have the axon7, why would you upgrade? It's an awesome phone. Very fast(faster than my S7 edge), plenty of storage, and it has the hifi dacs and dolby atmos.
    03-14-2017 12:17 PM
    I would agree. If you already have an S7 Edge, I probably wouldn't upgrade. The size difference is not much, the S7e is really slim already. The only difference is the smaller bezels and better processor chip. The only good thing is the Snapdragon 835 supports Quick Charge 4.0 which boasts 5 hours of battery with just 5 minutes of charging. Oh and the regular S8 only has 3000 mAh so you're better off with the S7e.
    03-14-2017 12:25 PM
    Don't forget that audio dac will not be in the USA version of the G6, only Asia. If you have the axon7, why would you upgrade? It's an awesome phone. Very fast(faster than my S7 edge), plenty of storage, and it has the hifi dacs and dolby atmos.
    Bro not selling my priced Axon 7 but buying 2nd phone was confused between s8 and G6... Mainly for a good camera... If nothing works back to s7 edge 128gb version
    03-14-2017 05:27 PM
    I've had my phone since 2014, I'll upgrade when it's dead.
    What phone do you have and is the battery original?
    MC_A_DOT likes this.
    03-15-2017 04:39 AM
    Folks around here, and they probably don't want to hear it...

They upgrade to have the latest, greatest, newest device to keep up with the Jonses on the forum, FB, social media, in life.

Unless you really need to upgrade, why do it? The next latest and greatest is just a few months away anyway.

My Note 5 64GB is blazing fast, reliable, great audio, display is about as good as it gets...

When Google and Verizon stop their updates... then I'll get the latest and greatest. And move the Note 5 to backup role.

YMMV. ๐Ÿ˜‰ It's your money... have at it and have fun!
    I have a 32GB Note 5 and a new s7edge (the edge is on jump). I prefer the note 5.
    MEMTigGriz1 likes this.
    03-15-2017 04:40 AM
    I wonder when the lg v30 is coming out. The v20 is a great phone and that would help drop it's price some
    03-15-2017 04:40 AM
72 123