Is Samsung afraid of LG G6 this time

cjtayaban

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
I don't think it will become a threat. Samsung has better software and they always try to innovate. Some useful settings can be found on a Samsung device that a stock android doesn't have. Google sometimes learn from what Samsung does. For LG, their UI, settings, and pre-loaded apps aren't that great. LG's camera app is really not the best.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
GS8 will stomp on any android phone in terms of sales, but i'll keep my new mate 9 as it will beat it in raw performance and ppsspp performance, unless samsung disable DVFS...

Note 8 could be something of a new gen, but the S8 is just Note 7 done right, the LG G6 features are not complete across all the regions, it makes the phone not appealing at all, and it has pretty awful battery life.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
GS8 will stomp on any android phone in terms of sales, but i'll keep my new mate 9 as it will beat it in raw performance and ppsspp performance, unless samsung disable DVFS...

Note 8 could be something of a new gen, but the S8 is just Note 7 done right, the LG G6 features are not complete across all the regions, it makes the phone not appealing at all, and it has pretty awful battery life.

Bro LG G6 battery review is not final retail unit is not out yet... They all said it pre production unit which all tested and said has decent battery life

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I don't think it will become a threat. Samsung has better software and they always try to innovate. Some useful settings can be found on a Samsung device that a stock android doesn't have. Google sometimes learn from what Samsung does. For LG, their UI, settings, and pre-loaded apps aren't that great. LG's camera app is really not the best.

Ummm.... Remember how disappointed people heard that there would be no flat version of S8?
LG's UI is better now and their camera app is better than Samsung's, they even have manual video mode, but quality may be different.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Ummm.... Remember how disappointed people heard that there would be no flat version of S8?
LG's UI is better now and their camera app is better than Samsung's, they even have manual video mode, but quality may be different.

All a matter of taste and opinion my friend. None of this is fact. Every manufacturer offers pros and cons. You buy what you like and others will do the same.

Last edited:

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
It just may be their cup of tea. It obviously isn't yours but that is okay .. They would be buying the phone for their reasons.. Not yours ;).

I fully agree, everyone has reasons to buy phones. I do find it funny that people seem to think their phones are status symbols. I work in a big tech company and no around here care what phone any uses. Why people on this site spend so much money on phones seems funny to me. I just hope they aren't going in debt to buy these phones.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I fully agree, everyone has reasons to buy phones. I do find it funny that people seem to think their phones are status symbols. I work in a big tech company and no around here care what phone any uses. Why people on this site spend so much money on phones seems funny to me. I just hope they aren't going in debt to buy these phones.
Some don't.. you just assume they go into debt. Some people are really good at flipping and spend next to nothing to do what they do ;).

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
No, I don't think they are afraid them. But any company that looks like they have got a solid phone that can chip away sales from them is concerning. LG looks to be back in the right direction with the V20 and LG G6 and they have to deal with the likes of OnePlus, Xiaomi, Huawei, etc.

And then on top of that you have Apple X coming out this year and Apple takes about 97% of all smartphone profits in world... That's a lot of competition to fight for that 3%
There are more Android phones in the world than iPhones so how is iPhone netting 97% of profits?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6 been using since last year... my LG G3 I had previous had died and oow.iPhone 6... a phone model original release date September 19, 2014 with iOS 8.0. Been very happy with the phone... Best battery life of any phone I've had next to my LG G2. Runs smooth and fast still for a phone design over 2 years old thanks to getting all updates and currently running 10.2.1.

I did have a problem with my phone at the end of the year... wifi antenna failed. Dunno how it happened but I don't baby my phone, run almost 1000 miles a year with it and the wifi failed after come back from over a week in the parks of the Canadian Rockies and glaciers doing a lot of hiking.

Back in the city, found the closest Apple Store, they run a diag and determine bad wifi... still in warranty they give me a brand new (not refurb) iPhone 6. Insert my SIM, go through setup, tell it to restore from iCloud backup that it does every day I the background and I leave the store back in business with a replacement phone with all my app, settings, and data and photos that was on the phone I had when I walked into the store.

Just trying to say or feel from my own personal experience... these iPhones are have a lot more value add to them that help justify their price where many times an android can't.

With that said I'm gonna get a new android phone to play with... maybe a G6, will see what they have to say about th S8 next week, or maybe an S7 Edge cause they should be discounted next week. But I'll probably skip th S8 and choose one of the other two and save money for later the in year... I plan to get an iPhone 8 or Note 8... whatever phone I get now is also for playing with android development.

Got a brand new S6 to play with while waiting and get use to Android again... lasted a couple off months and went back to the iPhone waiting for S8 press conference... S6 probably released same time as the iPhone 6 but from the little time I had it... the iPhone 6 ages better than the S6... S6 nice build, Great camera... but S6 has a terrible battery and the lag people talk about on the net... the lag is real.

a two year old design iPhone 6 will run better than an equivalent S6 and I'd put more faith in the iPhone giving you a couple of more years easy and probably still be updated over the android equivalent. That's where I find the iPhones are worth their price. ;)

The price is outrageous and people are not so smart thinking they paid more so it has to be better.

paul87russell

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
gonna hold out for the year and wait for the note 8 or v30. i love the wide angle lens of the lg, but the sleek design of samsung makes me want it more. dont think the g6 is a threat at all except maybe for camera performance.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
gonna hold out for the year and wait for the note 8 or v30. i love the wide angle lens of the lg, but the sleek design of samsung makes me want it more. dont think the g6 is a threat at all except maybe for camera performance.

Lot of people what flat screen and wide angle camera... We don't want gimmicky things.. Want a phone that just works... G6 ticks more for me this year than s8... Fps on s8 is big no no... Iris scanner hit and a miss and facial recognition is just stupid and photo can fool... Samsung should have released a flat screen version

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Lot of people what flat screen and wide angle camera... We don't want gimmicky things.. Want a phone that just works... G6 ticks more for me this year than s8... Fps on s8 is big no no... Iris scanner hit and a miss and facial recognition is just stupid and photo can fool... Samsung should have released a flat screen version
Consumers are more easily impressed by gimmicks, though.

Remember how the S6 edge sold in much higher numbers than anticipated, causing production issues?

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

We? Who's we? LG has continued to lose mobile market share and the G5 was an unqualified flop. LG (the parent company) lost $240M in Q4 '16 dragged down by the mobile division. In terms of smartphone makers most in trouble only HTC and Sony are worse off.

The G6 seems like a fine phone and it's a worthy choice for those loyal to LG. For the average consumer seeing it side-by-side the S8 it looks boring in comparison. Throw in last year's CPU/GPU, display with GG3 vs. 5, and missing features in key markets and I can't see it flying off the shelves. A lot of people don't like Samsung so they'll probably consider LG. But they'll also consider Huawei which to many represents a better value.

Speaking of Huawei, that's who Samsung's afraid of, certainly not LG.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
The G6 looks good though I prefer Samsung's display to the lcd screen on the G6, but LG has that whole boot loop thing to worry about, which while less dramatic than the Note 7 problems was pretty widespread over a number of their different phones and unlike the Note 7 problems being found quickly, only shows up after a pretty long while. As for the other brands mentioned, none of them work on Verizon, which is still a big deal. I don't think LG is worrying Samsung. I think they are measuring themselves against their own sales records for the S7 lines and of course, Apple.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad