I've Run Out And Purchased Every New S, But I'm Passing On The S8

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Weird aspect ratio, inconvenient fingerprint sensor, no improvement in camera, new version of launcher is simply beyond awful, no significant performance improvements or increase in battery life.

Just not seeing the must-run-out-and-get-it factor here. I'm quite happy with my S7 Edge and will be sticking with it.

Remind me again, why would anyone run out and get this thing? I can't think of one even remotely valid reason.

Last edited:

wolfedude88

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Weird aspect ratio, inconvenient fingerprint sensor, no improvement in camera, new version of launcher is simply beyond awful, no significant performance improvements or increase in battery life.

Just not seeing the must-run-out-and-get-it factor here. I'm quite happy with my S7 Edge and will be sticking with it.

Remind me again, why would anyone run out and get this thing? I can't think of one even remotely valid reason.

Well it should be a decent gain in improvement and we have no idea about camera but I'm sure it will be better. Personally design to me looks a ton better.

But most phones aren't a huge upgrade anymore over their previous year.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
More storage, same reason I grabbed the Note 7 initially. 32gb isn't enough for me. I have an SD card too, but you can't really put applications on it. Hopefully it'll have quick charge 4.0 which will be good, plus Bluetooth 5.0. That's reason enough for me.

Also, there will be camera improvements. Just because it's still 12mp doesn't mean they didn't do any upgrades. There's really no way to know if it'll have significant performance or battery life improvements. It'll probably be around the same.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I have the same feeling as the OP, at least right now. Maybe the 3/29 event will change my mind. I really do not want another curved screen phone and unless Samsung drastically speeds up and smooths out its UI, I am not interested. I got rid of the S7 Edge for those reasons and I am not interested in paying a big chunk of money for the same thing. I do like the idea of having less bezel and no home button, but the G6 offers those options with a flat screen and a faster UI (at least historically and according to initial reviews). I have never been an LG fan, but right now I will take the G6 over the S8 based on what I have seen. Funny how things can change.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
If you feel like there's no valid reason to upgrade, then there's no reason to upgrade.

I'm like you. I purchased all the recent "S" line phones but the S8/S8+ is the first one not really giving me that "wow" factor.

schnoid

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
More storage, same reason I grabbed the Note 7 initially. 32gb isn't enough for me. I have an SD card too, but you can't really put applications on it. Hopefully it'll have quick charge 4.0 which will be good, plus Bluetooth 5.0. That's reason enough for me.

Also, there will be camera improvements. Just because it's still 12mp doesn't mean they didn't do any upgrades. There's really no way to know if it'll have significant performance or battery life improvements. It'll probably be around the same.

I hope you're right about Quick Charge 4.0. That would be as good a reason as any to upgrade. Charging 50% in 15 min would be amazing! Only bad part is I'm getting tired of upgrading all my chargers every year. :( Quick Charge 2.0, Quick Charge 3.0, Quick Charge 4.0. I guess until I can get through a full day of heavy use without charging, that will still be a concern.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Only two selling points for me:

Snapdragon 835 with Quick Charge 4.0 which means 5 minutes of charge equals 5 hours of battery according to Qualcomm.

Bezelless design might turn heads because it looks so cool.

Other than that, it's pretty much an S7 Edge version 1.5 (minus the downgrade to 3000 mAh battery size).

SilverFireSE

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Also only China I think is getting 6BG of RAM and 128GB storage models. I'll probably switch back to an iPhone as much as I dislike iOS or hold out for Pixel 2.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's still early days, and I'll need to use the device IRL first.

But the S7 edge is still a mighty fine device. I don't think there's going to be a mega "WOW" factor in most new smartphones to justify upgrading, to me anyway.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The phone hasn't been officially announced yet and people say they don't see a need to upgrade. Leaks don't paint the full picture. Another leak though yesterday stated the camera may possibly be able to shoot 1000 fps video. I would assume this may have more to do with the SD 835 than anything else.
I would also agree that they would not have the exact same camera setup for 3 straight flagship models.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site

Funny but when I read the thread's title ummm ........... I thought about seeing you run out to your carrier's store like this on release day

bfce27d8f8deb659ed0e6620f35719da.gif

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
we don't even know what features it's adding or how the camera will look. For me the more storage, bigger screen is a big deal for me. faster charge would be a bonus.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The phone hasn't been officially announced yet and people say they don't see a need to upgrade. Leaks don't paint the full picture. Another leak though yesterday stated the camera may possibly be able to shoot 1000 fps video. I would assume this may have more to do with the SD 835 than anything else.
I would also agree that they would not have the exact same camera setup for 3 straight flagship models.
If and that's a big if it shoots a thousand frames per second it will likely have an extremely low resolution in that mode

Ikpah Destiny

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site

Haven't really had a chance to use a Samsung phone but checking out the S8 I don't know about to but it might be pretty impressive besides its just the leaks not all maybe true just chill for it to come out