Would you buy an S8 if it had no microSD slot?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Why do you somehow think Verizon is pushing all manufactures to no SD? Do you have any facts or just have a blind hate that has you make stuff up? :p.

- Pixel is Verizon exclusive, now Google says you don't need SD card (probably written in their contract). Also Pixel 2 might drop the 3.5mm headphone jack (more money for selling accessories, because why free when you can charge).
- Verizon disables certain shortcuts and features in phones such as data toggle on/off, FM radio, and smart features so that they can get you to use their network to get more money (also Verizon disables troubleshooting mode so you can't fix phones yourself). Also TONS of Verizon bloatware, more than any other carrier
- Samsung drops the SD card slot out of no where (probably due to bribe) and then realize it wasn't worth losing their fans so they brought it back. Also carrier branded phones also disabled shortcuts and features (probably forced Samsung in a contract). IR blaster is gone (don't watch TV, stream video on your phone instead!)

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
- Pixel is Verizon exclusive, now Google says you don't need SD card (probably written in their contract). Also Pixel 2 might drop the 3.5mm headphone jack (more money for selling accessories, because why free when you can charge).
- Verizon disables certain shortcuts and features in phones such as data toggle on/off, FM radio, and smart features so that they can get you to use their network to get more money (also Verizon disables troubleshooting mode so you can't fix phones yourself). Also TONS of Verizon bloatware, more than any other carrier
- Samsung drops the SD card slot out of no where (probably due to bribe) and then realize it wasn't worth losing their fans so they brought it back. Also carrier branded phones also disabled shortcuts and features (probably forced Samsung in a contract). IR blaster is gone (don't watch TV, stream video on your phone instead!)

How are any of these facts that Verizon forced anything? Yes they disabled the FM radio because yes Verizon wants you to stream.. that's all Verizon though. Carriers can disable stuff in Android that's not new.

Google has not liked SD cards way before the Pixel so that point is not valid.

Again shortcuts and stuff changed by the carrier are allowed by the carrier hence Android being open (unlike iPhone).

IR blaster being removed isn't trying to force data as most cable companies and things allow you to change the channel through WiFi. I use my phone as a remote (my Pixel XL) to control my DirecTV box easily.

So again.. still fail to see your facts that somehow Verizon is forcing the entire Android ecosystem to change how it works lol.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised this is even any speculation - I haven't seen anything that would suggest they would now remove the microSD card slot from the GS8 series. It returned with the GS7 and Note7 with 64GB after backlash from the GS6 and Note5. The last thing Samsung would want to do is to add a reason back on criticism of the GS8. The only way I would buy it without a microSD card is if it had at least 128GB storage like the GS6 had.

GC736

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
As long as it has 64GB minimum, not having a SD slot would not be a deal breaker for me. That is the minimum onboard storage for me to go without.

Qoheleth

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I can't see them taking off the SD slot again. They removed it in the 6 generation and then put it back for the 7s (although they didn't go with Google-standard handling of SD's. You don't have the "merge with local storage option."

CobaDarkn3ss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Honestly it would depend on the size options they provide. I have the S7 currently with a 64GB SD card in it, and am nowhere near capacity. So if there was a 128GB option, I would consider it.

UTSkiBum

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
64GB seems adequate today, but then so did 40 Mb when I bought my first computer. Always ensure that there is plenty of capacity for expansion! I like the slot! Go big or go home!

12MaNy

Regional Leg Breaker
Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Probably not. 64gb won't cut it for me and I'm not willing to pay an arm and a leg for more onboard storage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781