Samsung Galaxy S8 finger print sensor

Anageh90

Mar 23, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone :)
i do believe that the place of the finger print sensor in the new Samsung flagship can annoy many many of users and also can affect its sales so i hope that does not happen because i do really love Samsung samsung-galaxy-s8-leak.jpg

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
Given that people unlock their phones several hundred times a day, I truly feel people will just adapt. I know I'm practically addicted to my phone and if accessing the Internet takes one extra gesture with my finger I personally don't think that will stop me.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone :)
i do believe that the place of the finger print sensor in the new Samsung flagship can annoy many many of users and also can affect its sales so i hope that does not happen because i do really love Samsung View attachment 254768

Yeah, I don't know what Samsung was thinking by placing the fingerprint sensor right next to the camera. The camera is going to get smudged a lot!

I will adapt, however, just like I always do.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I will adapt, however, just like I always do.

I don't think it's just a matter of adapting. That is an extremely awkward placement. On the S8 it might not be so bad, but on the S8+, even giant mittened people such as yours truly would have a hard time getting up there.

There's going to be a lot of dropped phones while people fumble for that.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I've come to the acceptance of having to use two hands always !!!

There's no way I'll ever be able to use just one hand ....... such is the sacrifice of having the large real estate screen size which I'm okay with

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's just a matter of adapting. That is an extremely awkward placement. On the S8 it might not be so bad, but on the S8+, even giant mittened people such as yours truly would have a hard time getting up there.

There's going to be a lot of dropped phones while people fumble for that.

Not necessarily. People always adapt to different technologies. Besides, the facial recognition system should be stellar and it'll render the fingerprint sensor useless.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Not necessarily. People always adapt to different technologies. Besides, the facial recognition system should be stellar and it'll render the fingerprint sensor useless.

See, I just can't see how it'll be any better than the system on the Note 7. If not just for the simple fact that you still need to press something to initiate the recognition.... guessing that'll be the new soft/3D clicky on screen home button. So in terms of operation, best case, it replicates the current FPS implementation on the S7. But unless it has a 180 degree field of view, you'll still have to hold the thing in front of your face.

The S8 will be an excellent phone, but the FPS location was a last minute design choice to work around the fact that Synaptics couldn't get the in-screen one working. They just ripped out the heartbeat sensor and threw a FPS in there.... and that sensor is a pain in the butt to use on my wife's S7 Edge.

So yes... I guess you are right... the facial recognition stuff will render the S8's FPS useless, but that has more to do with the fact that the sensor is in a horrible place to start with.

Mike1117

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
The only time I think it might annoy me is when it is laying flat and I need to unlock it. Before you could leave your phone on the table, etc and just unlock it with your finger. Now you will have to pick it up. Ooh, that is going to be really hard! LOL

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The only time I think it might annoy me is when it is laying flat and I need to unlock it. Before you could leave your phone on the table, etc and just unlock it with your finger. Now you will have to pick it up. Ooh, that is going to be really hard! LOL

Heh... first world problems. ;)

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
With the Note 7 I used the iris scanner about 90% of the time. I'm looking to do the same here. Hope the improvements ar significant.

cjtayaban

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
I agree. The camera will get smudged. Also, if you're holding the phone with one hand it will be hard for you to reach the the fingerprint sensor. Some people who drive cars prefer that the sensor could be on the front. For people with wet hands like me, fingerprint sensor beside the camera would really be an awkward and uncomfortable position however I do not use fingerprint sensor on my current phone and still use password to unlock it.

Samsung's original plan was to embed the fingerprint sensor on the screen but doesn't have that kind of technology at this point in time. They just placed it at the back since S8 needs to be released this year.

jacko147

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm afraid I'll adapt and like it too much... I do have concerns about getting fingerprints all over the camera also

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm afraid I'll adapt and like it too much... I do have concerns about getting fingerprints all over the camera also

That is one of my concerns as well. But I am getting use to it again since going back to the S7 Edge. I use the HR monitor, Sp02 sensor a lot.

supertom

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
I agree. The camera will get smudged. Also, if you're holding the phone with one hand it will be hard for you to reach the the fingerprint sensor. Some people who drive cars prefer that the sensor could be on the front. For people with wet hands like me, fingerprint sensor beside the camera would really be an awkward and uncomfortable position however I do not use fingerprint sensor on my current phone and still use password to unlock it.

Samsung's original plan was to embed the fingerprint sensor on the screen but doesn't have that kind of technology at this point in time. They just placed it at the back since S8 needs to be released this year.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.. ??????☺

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
That sensor placement is pretty weird. I have the Pixel XL and the back sensor on that is no issue for me, but on the s8 it looks to be higher and off center and next to the camera. I get the feeling that it's going to lead to a constantly smudged camera lense and not being in a convenient location unless you have large hands.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I am a little uneasy about how close the fingerprint sensor is to the camera. I feel that uneasiness will slow down my use of the fingerprint scanner. But if the iris scanner works well, I will probably use that more, anyway. I loved that feature on the Note 7.

Last edited:

mrnimziki

Feb 16, 2017
Visit site
I'm not sure how I feel about having a sensor on the back period, much less in the location Samsung has chosen to put it. I've only ever used an iPhone or the s7e, so I'm really used to it being on the front. I'm certainly willing to try out new things, although it seems like the Pixel has the better placed sensor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12