03-27-2017 09:26 PM
43 12
tools
    I have been a big Samsung fan for quite some time. I have owned the S1-4, and the note 1-7. I even stuck by them when they started sealing up the phones..even when they started putting curved screens which I didn't agree with.

Now I see that the S8 is coming out, and I have to say, that I am not impressed. Again, we have a curved screen..why the hell are they doing this? As far as I know, curved screens are not really a sought after thing. Some people like it, some people do not.

But now I saw the design due to some leaked photos, and now the phone is NARROWER, so it has that candy bar shape. Although there are no bezels, the phone is not as wide, making the viewing experience not that great.

At this point, I am stuck on what I want to do. I can only hope that the Note 8 does not come out this way, who knows, maybe it will have a flat screen instead, because if its going to just mimic these two phones, I may have to look into something else.
    Gayle Lynn and erinpac like this.
    03-23-2017 01:15 PM
    I agree I'm not big on the curved screen idea. Some like it and that's fine. I just don't get why the flat screen was abandoned so suddenly.
    03-23-2017 01:18 PM
    I can't wait to see the official dimensions on the 29th. Will compare then to my current s7edge
    03-23-2017 01:19 PM
    I wouldn't hold your breath -- I don't see any reason as to why the Note 8 will be a flat screen. I see Samsung staying on this path for awhile.
    JokiingSutra likes this.
    03-23-2017 01:34 PM
    I'm not sure why Samsung went all curved unless their research and sales talleys told them something completely different from what we're hearing here.

If you don't like curved displays, vote with your wallet and it'll change soon enough.
    SoundofReason likes this.
    03-23-2017 01:43 PM
    Honestly probably the k it reason I don't have an LG V20 right now is because it doesn't do Samsung Pay. I love using that pay system
    03-23-2017 01:48 PM
    I would like to do that, but the only phone that i see that may be decent is...an Iphone...I mean I looked at LG(boot loading problems) and other phones...and they really aren't that great.
    03-23-2017 01:49 PM
    I just can't do the iPhones lol. Love my ability to customize in all types of aspects
    kellyjdrummer and DMP89145 like this.
    03-23-2017 01:53 PM
    You may like Huawei Mate 9, much Like iPhone 6S Plus right next to it without iOS. Size at battery life and pleasant Android 7 and EMUI 5. Flat ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ™
    03-23-2017 02:04 PM
    I never owned a Samsung phone until the S6 because of Touchwiz. It was a bloated mess. The one thing that brought me over was Samsung Pay. It has changed how I pay for things now. I hardly ever use my wallet. It is safe and secure. The phone is reliable and Touchwiz is now less bloated and I use Nova anyway. I personally think the phone is sexy. So I will be getting it for what it can do for me. Not so much on how it looks.
    03-23-2017 02:28 PM
    I never owned a Samsung phone until the S6 because of Touchwiz. It was a bloated mess. The one thing that brought me over was Samsung Pay. It has changed how I pay for things now. I hardly ever use my wallet. It is safe and secure. The phone is reliable and Touchwiz is now less bloated and I use Nova anyway. I personally think the phone is sexy. So I will be getting it for what it can do for me. Not so much on how it looks.
    Samsung Pay is AWESOME. Just love it
    Storm24 likes this.
    03-23-2017 02:48 PM
    Samsung Pay is AWESOME. Just love it
    Yes it is!
    03-23-2017 02:55 PM
    I love the look of the curve on my S6 edge and glad the S8/S8+ is available with it. Samsung must have done their research that they feel making the flat version is necessary anymore
    DWS44 likes this.
    03-23-2017 03:39 PM
    Well, I guess they were the first to use edge... so they feel they are setting a trend that's gonna be hot and it''ll be their "look" that sets them apart from everyone else. Also I think the idea was reinforced when people were snapping up the S7 Edge over the S7 and the Note was a big hit. And also it could be a new revenue stream too with their edge window and apps they sell for it.

But honestly, I really liked the design of the S7 over the S7 Edge. But the reason I would choose the Edge is because of the bigger screen and the bigger battery. And I think that's really why the Edge was a better seller. Too bad they are going backwards skimping on the battery on the S8.

I wish they would have still kept two versions... the base variant in flat screen and Plus in Edge... with the screen size increase in the S8 base... if they stuck with flat, that would have been a beautiful phone. Almost G6-ish

I love the look of the curve on my S6 edge and glad the S8/S8+ is available with it. Samsung must have done their research that they feel making the flat version is necessary anymore
    03-23-2017 09:51 PM
    Well, I guess they were the first to use edge... so they feel they are setting a trend that's gonna be hot and it''ll be their "look" that sets them apart from everyone else. Also I think the idea was reinforced when people were snapping up the S7 Edge over the S7 and the Note was a big hit. And also it could be a new revenue stream too with their edge window and apps they sell for it.

But honestly, I really liked the design of the S7 over the S7 Edge. But the reason I would choose the Edge is because of the bigger screen and the bigger battery. And I think that's really why the Edge was a better seller. Too bad they are going backwards skimping on the battery on the S8.

I wish they would have still kept two versions... the base variant in flat screen and Plus in Edge... with the screen size increase in the S8 base... if they stuck with flat, that would have been a beautiful phone. Almost G6-ish
    Also throw in the fact that they kept having their designs compared unfavorably to Apple's.

This edge is their stamp through and through.
    03-23-2017 11:13 PM
    Curved screen prefer not to have but I like that the phone is narrow because that'll definitely help ergonomics and easier for one handed use.
    03-24-2017 01:57 AM
    I have been a big Samsung fan for quite some time. I have owned the S1-4, and the note 1-7. I even stuck by them when they started sealing up the phones..even when they started putting curved screens which I didn't agree with.

Now I see that the S8 is coming out, and I have to say, that I am not impressed. Again, we have a curved screen..why the hell are they doing this? As far as I know, curved screens are not really a sought after thing. Some people like it, some people do not.

But now I saw the design due to some leaked photos, and now the phone is NARROWER, so it has that candy bar shape. Although there are no bezels, the phone is not as wide, making the viewing experience not that great.

At this point, I am stuck on what I want to do. I can only hope that the Note 8 does not come out this way, who knows, maybe it will have a flat screen instead, because if its going to just mimic these two phones, I may have to look into something else.
    When Samsung launched S6 and S6 edge, they made about 2x more flat screen than the edge versions initially, but was surprised that the sales were almost 1 is to 1 for both. So it's the first sign that many people do supported the edge version.

Then S7 edge sold more than S7 (I know people might have chosen S7 edge for the bigger screen), so I guess they took it that people do like the edge screen more.

Personally, I feel the edge for Note 7 (and probably S8) is as good as it can get, making the phone looks ultra sexy without really interfering with usage. Only complaint is it is almost impossible to put a screen protector on it perfectly.
    03-24-2017 03:43 AM
    I'm not sure why Samsung went all curved unless their research and sales talleys told them something completely different from what we're hearing here.

If you don't like curved displays, vote with your wallet and it'll change soon enough.
    Because S7 edge was so successful and more successful than the S7
    03-24-2017 03:54 AM
    When Samsung launched S6 and S6 edge, they made about 2x more flat screen than the edge versions initially, but was surprised that the sales were almost 1 is to 1 for both. So it's the first sign that many people do supported the edge version.

Then S7 edge sold more than S7 (I know people might have chosen S7 edge for the bigger screen), so I guess they took it that people do like the edge screen more.

Personally, I feel the edge for Note 7 (and probably S8) is as good as it can get, making the phone looks ultra sexy without really interfering with usage. Only complaint is it is almost impossible to put a screen protector on it perfectly.
    The note 7 edge wasn't bad at all it was less pronounced than s7edge
    03-24-2017 05:10 AM
    I guess the reason why they stuck with the edged design was due to sales data. The S6 edge had an unexpectedly high amount of demand, causing manufacturing issues, and the S7 edge proved to be really popular, selling almost as much as its flat sibling.

I can only hope that the S8 will feature a curve similar to that on the Note 7. The S7 edge's curve wasn't exactly comfortable and it has a higher tendency to falsely register palm-touches as there doesn't seem to be any palm-rejection unlike the Note.
    03-24-2017 06:26 AM
    From everything I've read, it sounds like the new iPhone will be closer to the Note7 edge screen than the S8. The S8 looks to start curving well before the sides that the S7E and therefore would be less pronounced that the S7E. Think of moving where the S7E screen starts curving and double that distance.
    That's what I took away from those renders, anyways.
    03-24-2017 07:01 AM
    The curved screens are bigly popular. More people purchased the S7 edge than they did the regular S7. Now I admit, that may have been because of the bigger form factor, the bigger battery, the bigger screen, the edge display, or any combination of those, but the curved screens are here to stay.

Good thing Android offers alternatives if you don't like something. The G6 still has a flat display.
    03-24-2017 08:29 AM
    I would like to do that, but the only phone that i see that may be decent is...an Iphone...I mean I looked at LG(boot loading problems) and other phones...and they really aren't that great.

If you really bought all those Samsung phones, and now, after all that time, you're even thinking about an iPhone, then i say GO FOR IT!!! This forum isn't a whine and cheese party.
    anon(5630457) likes this.
    03-24-2017 08:48 AM
    I can only hope that the Note 8 does not come out this way, who knows, maybe it will have a flat screen instead, because if its going to just mimic these two phones, I may have to look into something else.
    Rule of thumb with the Note line... look at the S model released earlier that year... the Note will evolve from that.

Note 8 will have a curved screen that will be a little less pronounced than the S8 (like the Note 7 was), no home button, really small bezels and look a hell of a lot like the S8, just with some subtle design changes.
    03-24-2017 10:28 AM
    Rule of thumb with the Note line... look at the S model released earlier that year... the Note will evolve from that.

Note 8 will have a curved screen that will be a little less pronounced than the S8 (like the Note 7 was), no home button, really small bezels and look a hell of a lot like the S8, just with some subtle design changes.
    Yep. The Note will take the design of the S-line and refine it, as they always do. However, this year may see some interesting differences with an under the glass FPS, dual lens camera, and Bixby integrated into the S pen functions. I'm so tempted wait for it.
    jamezr likes this.
    03-24-2017 10:49 AM
43 12