Protection or none at all

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
For those planning on getting the S8/S8Plus, are you planing on leaving it as is or putting some kind of protection over it. Even though I've bought cases in the past, I end up going with a skin like dbrand. I've also had pretty good luck with not dropping my phone...knock on wood.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Casing is definite for me, but not sure about SP. From Note 7's experience, it's quite hard to put a SP on without it peeling after a while.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
From past history I've only dropped my smartphone maybe twice in 5 years with no major damage, but this year I dropped my S7 from my lap to a tiled floor and cracked my screen. At that time I did have a minimal thin case but my phone hit the floor on the corner which wasn't protected by the case. Thus, I had to have my phone repaired to replace the cracked screen which was costly. I would be even more cautious with the S8 having a curved front screen. So, even though I hate the bulkiness of a case I would probably get one for the S8.

cjtayaban

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
The phone is really expensive. A protection for it is really needed. Also, in times you want to sell your phone, it would still look smooth as new when there is protection.

jhonnieblue

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
the curve screens make it hard to get a really nice case tho. I've sen cases on the s7 edge and was not impressed at all
makes the phone uncomfortable to hold

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I've never had a problem finding a good case for my phones. Using a Samsung phone without a case is just asking for trouble. They're more slippery to hang onto, which causes them to also slide off your lap or even slip out of your pocket. The case helps you grip it better so it doesn't fall.
I've never put a lot of confidence in the fact that if I drop my phone in a case that it wouldn't get damaged.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I always use a case. I like a leather or good imitation leather folder best. I have one on the Pixel xl that has been excellent (Belk, is the brand name, got it off Amazon pretty cheap). My grandson, age 2, grabbed the phone once, and mad that I said no, dropped it deliberately on the wood floor He isn't very tall so not a huge drop. It apparently landed just right because there isn't a scratch on it, and it worked the same after as it did before. Whew. SP are a hassle with the Samsung curves but that is one reason I like the folder, or folio style, it does cover the screen.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Casing is definite for me, but not sure about SP. From Note 7's experience, it's quite hard to put a SP on without it peeling after a while.

I agree putting on a screen protector on the Note 7 was a pain because the edge was not gradual like the S7 edge. I tried several different brands.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
This is one of the reasons why I don;'t care that much about how pretty a phone is. Cases are so likely to obscure that anyway.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Unless you're OK with scratches or screen cracks, a case is highly recommended. I would probably buy a skin wrap to cover the back glass as well because that bad boy is going to scratch. Tiny dust and dirt will be stuck inbetween the case and glass causing it to scratch. Also if you want the best resell value, I would protect it from scratches.

Mike1117

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
From my S6 edge, I've been using a Spigen case which is pretty thin but still offers good protection. I don't use a screen protector. Plan on doing the same with my S8 or S8+

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
From my S6 edge, I've been using a Spigen case which is pretty thin but still offers good protection. I don't use a screen protector. Plan on doing the same with my S8 or S8+

I probably have the same case but for the S7E. I really like it. It rarely comes off. I also bought one for my Note7.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Screen protectors don't work too well on curved screens. I've tried a variety of tempered glass ones for the S7 EDGE and none of them were even remotely usable, as they massively impact touch sensitivity. I don't like plastic protectors because they tend to smudge and get greasy in no time, requiring you to constantly clean the screen. I ended up using my S7 EDGE without a screen protector but whether that's a good idea or not remains to be seen. The screen scratches very easily - mine's still fine but I've seen S7Es from my students that were completely scratched up.

For this reason (and the fact that I don't particularly like Samsung anymore after the way they handled the Note 7 exchange here), it'll likely be the LG G6 for me this year.

kuru_s

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I would for sure get a case for this phone as its a pricey phone and I use it for work as well.
At work place I have dropped my LG G4 so many time on the concrete floor, i'm surprised my screen isn't cracked yet.