View Poll Results: Are you buying the GS8?

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep! I'm getting the S8

50 26.32%
  • Oh yeah! I'm getting the S8+

46 24.21%
  • I'm not sure

48 25.26%
  • Sorry, I'll pass on it

46 24.21%
04-19-2017 11:10 AM
188 ... 45678
tools
    As much as I'd rather have the S8+, I think the price will sway me towards the S8 until the Note8 comes out. Then, I'll stay on the Note cycle again. I can't justify $52 per month for the S8+ versus $30 for the S8 for .4" bigger screen.
    I'm currently paying $33 per month for the S7E. It's kind of a no brainer.
    04-03-2017 08:57 PM
    I like the tall and thin design but I'm waiting to hear how one sounds with either headphones or the speaker. I'm not worried about call quality that's a given these days at least in my area. I do a lot of movie watching and music listening. Also I'm not to sure about this whole curved screen trend either. Seems to me it's a recipe for cracks in your screen even with a case.
    recDNA likes this.
    04-03-2017 10:24 PM
    I'm like 99% sure I will get it, but with little enthusiasm or excitement. This is primarily due to the lack of any significant improvements to the camera, specifically the lack of rear dual cameras and higher fps slow motion. It doesn't really feel like there's a ton of improvements outside of aesthetics, and losing the home button is a real pain point for me -- I used to wake up the phone, answer calls, and, of course, scan my fingerprint with the home button. I could wake the phone and scan in one step by pressing and holding the button, something that is no longer an option. Frankly, I hate on screen buttons, they make typing hell when you dip too low reaching for the space bar.

It's also annoying that the screen is so tall -- I'm all for adding 200 pixels to make up for the usable screen loss for on screen buttons, but 400 pixels seems excessive. Pulling down the shade with the 2:1 screen requires extreme manual gymnastics or (heaven forfend) two hands. And I pull down the shade ALL the time.

And now I have to deal with either going with the S8 and losing battery compared to my S7 Edge or sticking with the S8+ but skirting past the point of one handed use. S8 with 3500 mah battery? That would have been a no brainer.

That said, I'll still very likely buy the S8 or S8+ because of things like the 64gb internal. Because the edges are less curved than the S7 Edge. Because the thing looks so damn nice. Because the G6 and the Pixel excite me even less. And frankly, Samsung locked me in because of Samsung Pay -- no other manufacturer has MST for payment, and in the US, you won't be able to use your phone to pay with a majority of vendors without MST.

So yeah, I'll be getting the new phone. But grudgingly so.
    Actually, why dun you wait for Note 8? It might solve the fingerprint sensor problem and bring it back to the front.

S7E is far from an obsolete phone, though dun look as nice as the S8.
    04-03-2017 11:29 PM
    As much as I'd rather have the S8+, I think the price will sway me towards the S8 until the Note8 comes out. Then, I'll stay on the Note cycle again. I can't justify $52 per month for the S8+ versus $30 for the S8 for .4" bigger screen.
    I'm currently paying $33 per month for the S7E. It's kind of a no brainer.
    My thoughts exactly. The price played a big part in my decision to get the S8. I plan on using the extra $100 towards the Note 8 when it comes out.
    04-03-2017 11:50 PM
    I am buying S8 Plus
    04-04-2017 02:05 AM
    Probably.
    04-04-2017 02:14 AM
    yasssss
    04-04-2017 04:26 AM
    I'm going with the S8. I held it and the plus model at best buy and think the plus model would eventually get on my nerves. I would start to dislike trying to get to that finger print sensor on the back and anything at the top of the screen on the front due to it being so tall.
    04-04-2017 04:26 AM
    yes i will definitely buy it if i have enough money, but for now im just waiting for the android central giveaway
    04-04-2017 05:17 AM
    Looks really nice but that's a lot of money and the only upgrade is the display.
    04-04-2017 05:41 AM
    I've been all over the place this last week. Deciding to buy, then deciding not to buy, but now I'm giving consideration to waiting to see what's on store for the Note 8. That gives more time for this new design to set in, new feature (bixby) to mature and to get a better feel for where Samsung is headed and how it is working g out in the real world.
    04-04-2017 06:36 AM
    Its too expensive to get it right away but I'll wait and see in a couple of months whether to buy one or not. At the moment, I'm really keen on getting the S7 edge once the price goes down when S8 is released.
    04-04-2017 07:51 AM
    Actually, why dun you wait for Note 8? It might solve the fingerprint sensor problem and bring it back to the front.

S7E is far from an obsolete phone, though dun look as nice as the S8.
    The Note will probably be 6.5", which will give the same width as the Note 7. One handed use is very important to me, and the Note 8 will not be feasible in that regard.

I could stick with the S7e if I getting an upgrade were difficult. There really isn't a compelling reason to upgrade other than the S8 is newer.
    04-04-2017 09:05 AM
    I've been all over the place this last week. Deciding to buy, then deciding not to buy, but now I'm giving consideration to waiting to see what's on store for the Note 8. That gives more time for this new design to set in, new feature (bixby) to mature and to get a better feel for where Samsung is headed and how it is working g out in the real world.
    The Note8 may end up being what the S8 was supposed to be, plus the s-pen. Just adding the fingerprint sensor under the glass on the front, possible 4K display, bigger screen, more RAM and s-pen would be enough to upgrade. I am hoping for a better camera sensor as well. The Note line used to be the trailblazer for Samsung, spec-wise.
    04-04-2017 09:51 AM
    I'm not sure yet. I'm considering it. I have an iPhone 7 Plus so I don't really need a new phone yet. Also while the extra long screen looks nice in photos, I wonder how it'll be in practice when videos are letterboxed or cropped. But the design is great, the hardware is fast, I like the new UI (icon) design. Maybe. I'm also looking at the LG G6 though, honestly, but the lack of 5G modem on the G6 makes the S8 more appealing.
    04-04-2017 10:31 AM
    The S8 looks like a winner. But I want to play with it first to see how it works in my hand with very little side bezel.
    04-04-2017 10:45 AM
    You know, many people are saying that you should play with it first before you buy it and I totally agree. When I first got the S7 Edge, it almost slipped out of my hand multiple times, and the palms of my hands with click on keys on the side of the keyboard when I typed. It is definitely something you have to get used, especially when you come from a phone that doesn't have that type of screen.
    04-04-2017 02:14 PM
    You know, many people are saying that you should play with it first before you buy it and I totally agree. When I first got the S7 Edge, it almost slipped out of my hand multiple times, and the palms of my hands with click on keys on the side of the keyboard when I typed. It is definitely something you have to get used, especially when you come from a phone that doesn't have that type of screen.
    It is good practice to check out a phone first. Unfortunately, with this phone, it is so beautiful in person that there has been quite a few that just could not resist once they did so.

For this reason, I won't even go near a Best Buy right now🙃
    04-04-2017 02:25 PM
    It is good practice to check out a phone first. Unfortunately, with this phone, it is so beautiful in person that there has been quite a few that just could not resist once they did so.

For this reason, I won't even go near a Best Buy right now🙃
    I may go just to see if I would be happy enough with the S8 over the S8+. If not, I'll have a HUGE dilemma on my hands.
    LineKill likes this.
    04-04-2017 02:43 PM
    I still want to see and hold the s8 in my hands..
    04-04-2017 03:36 PM
    Hey Friend
    Can anyone help me out which phone should I buy for my uncle. I'm little bit confused between G6 or S8 or Xperia XZ premium or Iphone 7. I had so many reviews but still confused. Some Says G6, some people says s8 and some says iPhone 7.
    04-04-2017 05:50 PM
    Just came back to from Best Buy. While it's clear I'd rather have the S8+ over the S8, I think we're still going with the S8 thanks to greedy T-mobile. I can't justify $56 per month over the $30 per month waiting for the Note8 for just a slightly larger screen.
    The S7E was the smallest phone we've had since the Galaxy Nexus. We'll adjust. I would rather put money down on the phone I really want.
    04-04-2017 06:55 PM
    As much as I would like to pre-order the S8, I am reluctant to do so for pricing reasons.

I bought the unlocked S7 edge for $600 a few months ago, yet I am asked to spend $200 more for the comparable newer phone (with taxes) from a carrier.

I would prefer to abide my time until the unlocked phones are released to see what the traffic will bear. My S7 edge phone is currently working just fine.
    04-04-2017 08:07 PM
    I still want to see and hold the s8 in my hands..
    Best Buy has the demos out on the floor. I went there today to check them out (again).
    04-05-2017 12:12 AM
    Definitely, maybe.
    04-05-2017 01:38 AM
188 ... 45678