Are you buying the Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+?

Are you buying the GS8?

• Total voters

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Are you buying the Samsung Galaxy S8?

why do they make you guys put down a down payment? i just had to pay the taxes with verizon

No logical reason except they want an easy money grab. Most people don't have any issue with dropping the extra $130 to lease a phone. I just can't wrap my brain around justifying that extra upcharge.
I used to be with Verizon. They slowly started changing the terms of their upgrades as well. I couldn't take it any more and went to T-Mobile. It was fine until they started doing this. It totally defeats the purpose of multiple upgrades per year "with zero down". I don't care if money wasn't an issue. It's the principal.
If you could afford to pay double for something when it's not worth it, would you still buy it?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

No logical reason except they want an easy money grab. Most people don't have any issue with dropping the extra $130 to lease a phone. I just can't wrap my brain around justifying that extra upcharge.
I used to be with Verizon. They slowly started changing the terms of their upgrades as well. I couldn't take it any more and went to T-Mobile. It was fine until they started doing this. It totally defeats the purpose of multiple upgrades per year "with zero down". I don't care if money wasn't an issue. It's the principal.
If you could afford to pay double for something when it's not worth it, would you still buy it?
Legere was doing #TBT (throw back Thursday) yesterday. I replied with that hashtag and sent him his JoD announcement video. He didn't reply. Lol

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Legere was doing #TBT (throw back Thursday) yesterday. I replied with that hashtag and sent him his JoD announcement video. He didn't reply. Lol

You would think with just that $20 telephone assist fee they now charge for the people just doing their job, they would increase the bottom line by a lot. I've said all along...announce the $130 down for JOD and allow the people who want to blow their money or keep their payments lower to pay it. For those who contact them and would rather have a slightly higher payment, allow those to be modified. They just need to have that option in the system and just default to the down payment option. People need choices.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

You would think with just that $20 telephone assist fee they now charge for the people just doing their job, they would increase the bottom line by a lot. I've said all along...announce the $130 down for JOD and allow the people who want to blow their money or keep their payments lower to pay it. For those who contact them and would rather have a slightly higher payment, allow those to be modified. They just need to have that option in the system and just default to the down payment option. People need choices.
Yep, that would be an acceptable option under JoD.

He just needs to stop being a hypocrite, grow a pair and come out and say they can no longer offer JoD in its current form.

He just signed a new contract so now is the time to **** people off and eat the churn if that's what happens. He just figures if he doesn't talk about it then it will go away. It won't.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

Because of the battery, I probably won't buy the S8 (it's almost certain that it won't be able to match my S7 Edge). I might buy the S8+ if I can play with one and feel like it can be used one handed.

If S8+ turns out to be too big, I guess I'll have to keep the S7 Edge, which would be unprecedented. I've never kept the same phone for more than 1 year.

csiguy1

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

Just ordered 2 of the S8 phones, saw them at Best Buy today and I think that most everyone will like this phone. I didn't have any reservations about ordering this phone, as a matter of fact, I switched from iPhone and Pixel to get this phone. I have had problems with both the iPhone and Pixel xl so giving Sammy a chance.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Because of the battery, I probably won't buy the S8 (it's almost certain that it won't be able to match my S7 Edge). I might buy the S8+ if I can play with one and feel like it can be used one handed.

If S8+ turns out to be too big, I guess I'll have to keep the S7 Edge, which would be unprecedented. I've never kept the same phone for more than 1 year.

If you are on your phone constantly or away from a charger for hours on end, you may need the bigger battery. Otherwise, keep topping it off and don't worry about it. It probably won't be noticeably worse than the S7E.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site

Case ordered. This will be my first Samsung device. I've been with LG since the Optimus G. I suppose I should say the Nexus 5 was in there. Looking forward to the S8.

Ziich47

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

I will be ordering the all black s8. The plus is too large and has no compelling features for the additional 100 dollars

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

i saw a video about that today too...was pretty excited until i saw you have to basically open your phone and allow the app permission for everything. too intrusive for my tastes. hopefully xda can come up with a better solution after some time with the phone.

https://youtu.be/YTlw4_6yXmQ
Wouldn't it need the permission so you can map it to open gallery, contacts, etc?

Captain Dane

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site

Hi, don't know your location. In London U.K. Currys on the Tottenham Court Road has demos of both phones

urrl

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

“Pre-orders of the Galaxy S8 and S8+ in the US are outpacing those of the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge with strong double digit growth,” reads the Samsung statement. “In addition, the majority of consumers have been selecting the Galaxy S8+.”
https://uploadvr.com/free-gear-vr-s8/

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

“Pre-orders of the Galaxy S8 and S8+ in the US are outpacing those of the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge with strong double digit growth,” reads the Samsung statement. “In addition, the majority of consumers have been selecting the Galaxy S8+.”
https://uploadvr.com/free-gear-vr-s8/

According to Samsung, the most popular pre-order so far is the S8+ in Midnight Black.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Why I won't be buying one

The galaxy S8 line looks incredible, has the very best up to date specs, a gorgeous screen, and a whole lot more. So, why am I turned off of ordering one? Well, I'm one of the millions of audiophiles that need a hifi system incorporated into their phone. With high resolution audio coming down the pike at a rapid pace, manufacturers owe it to us to be able to listen to our music in the very best way. There are a few companies that have taken this into consideration and have done a great job. Unfortunately, samsung isn't one of them. LG put hifi dacs into their V10, but that did not impress. The V20 had a much better dac and sounds great. It's to bad that they omitted this dac on their US version of the G6. That's a deal killer. So what am I listening to? Well after doing hours of online research, and auditioning a few hifi phones, the most impressive is the ZTE axon 7. It has the hifi dacs but ZTE also added Dolby Atmos which really knocks the sound out of the park, especially when watching movies. But that's not all. This device is a top tier phone in almost every respect. Build quality, a gorgeous superamoled screen, 64gb on board with sd expansion and its fast as hell. Even faster than my S7 edge. So, come on Samsung, don't forget the audiophile next time around. Now I can't wait for the ZTE axon 8.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Why I won't be buying one

Everyone has their preferences. Mine are the screen and camera.
I agree that Samsung needs to step up in this department as well. I'm sure they're probably going with the masses and decided against it, whether it be cost or not value added to most consumers.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm passing on the pre-order only because T-Mobile isn't giving enough incentive to upgrade. That ridiculous down payment makes no sense, and goes against the whole reason for having jump on demand.

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm passing on the pre-order only because T-Mobile isn't giving enough incentive to upgrade. That ridiculous down payment makes no sense, and goes against the whole reason for having jump on demand.

Right there with you, hence why I bought mine via Samsung.com and will sell my old phone privately.