Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+ Specs

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S8+ Specs

If it's a 18.5:9 ratio, what were they expecting? It goes without saying.
Most of us do jot know the ratios of the various formats. We prefer part of scene is cut out to FILL screen rather than part of screen left black to show entire screen. On a tv you can choose.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

What is HD TV ratio? Everything Netflix shows would be standard HD ratio right?
Most tv/ Netflix content is 1.78:1 (16x9) or 1.85:1. With overscan, 1.85 usually fills a 16x9 screen.

Netflix does have content filmed in 2:1.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

But when I watch Netflix on tv it always fills my tv screen. Must be a tv setting. I never noticed black bars on my V20 nor Note 3 though

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

That is so but VZW does not allow Netflix to broadcast in full HD to Note 3 and not in 4k to V20. Perhaps lower resolution alters ratio?
I haven't really looked into it but maybe Netflix isn't actually pushing the content in 2:1, maybe they crop to 1.85:1. Although not new, 2:1 isn't a widely accepted format but maybe it will gain some traction so there can a standard aspect ratio going forward. There really are to many.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

I never knew it was so complicated.
I would rather not utilize some of my screen, whether it's my projector or my 50" 4k tv or my phone, and watch the show or movie in the aspect ratio the director intended. There's a reason they filmed in that ratio.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I would rather not utilize some of my screen, whether it's my projector or my 50" 4k tv, and watch the show or movie in the aspect ratio the director intended. There's a reason they filmed in that ratio.
I understand. I'm not a purist. I'd watch colorized Citizen Kane

Large Hadron

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 Specs

Thanks. I didn't remember the Exynos S7's were not involved, so to speak. So it's a possibility at least.

Here in the UK I'm still not sure which version is coming. Maybe I'm not looking properly :p
It will almost certainly be Exynos in the UK. Their usual pattern is Snapdragon in North America, Exynos everywhere else.

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I've heard they use Snapdragon in the US because of CDMA - otherwise they'd use their own Exynos chipset. I may have got that wrong though.

Large Hadron

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site

Traditionally we always had the Snapdragon variant along with the US, but that changed with the S7, and S6 afaik, so who knows.
My last Samsung was a Note 3.
You are right that it's not simple! The S7 was Exynos internationally, Snapdragon in the USA. The S6 was Exynos everywhere because Samsung didn't take the sd810. S4 and S5 were mostly Snapdragon apart from the non-LTE versions - that was the thing I'd forgotten, that it was LTE that drove the SoC choices with those models.

GSMArena claim it's Exynos for EMEA, but whether that's based on hard info or guesswork I can't say.

Most people are speculating that there will be a separate DAC with the Exynos, while the Snapdragon will use the one built into the SoC, but again how much is hard fact and how much is extrapolation from previous generations is hard to determine. Since poor headphone audio is a deal-breaker for me I'm hoping that both predictions (Exynos in UK and better DAC with that model) are true.

gg_rahul

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site

Hey People
I came to know that Samsung is going to sell S8+ with 6Gb ram and 128Gb internal Storage in China and south Korea. Is that true?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888