I have a Galaxy S8 in my hands — AMA!

Needkeys

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
This. The most anticipated phone of the new year gets released. The editor of AC starts an AMA thread, surely knowing that lots of folks are eagerly awaiting first hand observations. Then, after the first few responses, it's radio silence.

I know how busy we all get, and I'm sure Daniel is spread super thin, but if that's the case don't START AN AMA THREAD.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
This. The most anticipated phone of the new year gets released. The editor of AC starts an AMA thread, surely knowing that lots of folks are eagerly awaiting first hand observations. Then, after the first few responses, it's radio silence.

I know how busy we all get, and I'm sure Daniel is spread super thin, but if that's the case don't START AN AMA THREAD.

He's not the editor. He only has 136 posts. But yea...

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed the units at my local Best Buy have pink hues on the edges of the screen when scrolling through white sections of the phone like settings or the messages app. I don't know if it's a defect of those particular units or indicative of a larger problem. Have you noticed anything using your unit?

Needkeys

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
You're right. My bad. His title listed on this site is "Managing Editor".

Again, my only point is that it's ridiculous to start this type of thread, saying you have the device and to ask you anything, and then to seemingly blow it off after a handful of responses.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
You're right. My bad. His title listed on this site is "Managing Editor".

Again, my only point is that it's ridiculous to start this type of thread, saying you have the device and to ask you anything, and then to seemingly blow it off after a handful of responses.

Ah, I see if you click on his pic that the managing editor thing pops up. I didn't see that before.

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
yeah, duh, if it's a photo of your face, then facial recognition should, you know, recognize it.

I believe many people, including myself, thought it was more sophisticated (ie. 3d scanning). I believe that simple facial recognition was added in ICS. Sounds like Iris scanning will be the best security, if it'll work better than the Note 7.

reissc1

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
The iris scanner on my note 7 was great! It was definitely more consistent that the fingerprint sensor on my s7 edge. I was sad to give it up.

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Well I don't know how you get it but @Daniel Bader does the S8 has some clues on if it will work with Daydream?

Does it has the Daydream app installed? if not, have you tried the device in a Daydream Headset and installing the app?

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
OK, I've given the speaker a good listen and here's the thing: it's not very accurate, but damn this thing gets LOUD for a single down-firing speaker. Not sure I love it, but you'll definitely hear it.

This was Daniel's​ response.

I've heard that that the speaker is louder. Thanks for confirming this. I still would prefer stereo speakers but if it's louder than the S7e then I guess I'll take it.

Large Hadron

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Actually when I tried it in a shop I wasn't impressed. It may be that Samsung's pre-loaded tones are mostly very quiet: I found a couple where I thought it was loud enough to be usable, but most failed dismally. Without a known source it's hard to tell what's the speaker and what's the source file, but it didn't inspire confidence.

S8 and S8+ were indistinguishable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae