I have a Galaxy S8 in my hands — AMA!

Daniel Bader

Managing Editor, Android Central
Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
What Android OS version?
What color S8 do you have?

How the battery life so far? I'm assuming great since it's BRAND NEW, lol.

Is it slippery? Or more slippery than the S7 Edge?

It's shipping with Android 7.0 with the March or April security patch. The one I have is orchid grey and it's very nice. Really like the slight purple hue in the silver when it hits the right light.

It's definitely slippery but I haven't had a problem using it with one hand so far. And battery... Not really going to answer that yet.

Daniel Bader

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
How easy it one-handed use?

Pretty good. The GS8 is slightly more compact than the S7 edge and I have been using it one-handed with no issue. The sides are pretty slippery because the bezels are so slim but you'll get used to it quickly.

Daniel Bader

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
How's the pressure sensitive virtual home button? Can you still double "click" to launch the camera?

Honestly the virtual home button is fine, though I definitely miss the fingerprint sensor being there. The camera shortcut has moved to the power button on the right side of the screen. Bummer tbh

Daniel Bader

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
What is the purpose of the pressure home button? Do you have to press hard to go home, or can you tap it like any other software key?

Yeah the button is merely meant to make the transition from physical to virtual a bit easier. You don't have to press harder than normal but when you do press harder the taptic engine follows suit and gives you more feedback. It's pretty great.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Camera feel like a downgrade from the 7 series devices? Only ask because I've read that it appears to have less detail in the produced images. I've read a bunch already today but I think that may have come from somebody's review on here. Maybe the first post on this thread. Lol

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
The pictures are gorgeous, but it just seems so "fragile", like handling a piece of china, like I'd be afraid to 'use' it . . What's your opinion?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
How's the fingerprint sensor and new biometric sensors? That position of the FPS is gonna be a challenge, especially on the S8+.

In your use so far, how is the phone handling heat? Is it getting warm with moderate use?
Second this. Curious to know how the 10nm processors handle heat.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the button is merely meant to make the transition from physical to virtual a bit easier. You don't have to press harder than normal but when you do press harder the taptic engine follows suit and gives you more feedback. It's pretty great.

How's the feedback compared to the iPhone 7?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
The pictures are gorgeous, but it just seems so "fragile", like handling a piece of china, like I'd be afraid to 'use' it . . What's your opinion?

I agree. I'd love to do my S7e naked, but it's way too slippery and I assume this will be the same. Moto used to do a good job with their phones making them so they didn't seem like china.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol