pre order or not?

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I spent half the day today worrying about if I wanted to spend $130 to do JOD with the S8+. I kept thinking, I am going to get the Note 8 in a few months,why spend an extra $130. I could get the smaller device and "settle" on the S8 until the Note comes out.

Tonight went to dinner with my 2 sons and spent $75 after desserts and tip.

So although I would rather not pay $130, getting the smaller device and saving money is not worth wishing I had the S8+ for four to five months. Especially when I am going to use that device multiple hours per day, and it is basically 2 weekends of dinner difference

Posted via the Android Central App
Lol same here. We have 3 older kids and eating out is a $$. I eat out for lunch at work often and starbucks, so I can make a few small changes there to warrant this s8 Plus

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Lol same here. We have 3 older kids and eating out is a $$. I eat out for lunch at work often and starbucks, so I can make a few small changes there to warrant this s8 Plus

Yup, the next day after the $75 dinner I took my son to get some lunch and it was $21.

So in less than 24 hours I was down $96 for a couple of steaks, chicken kabobs, and chicken tenders

I would rather have the plus

I used to spend a lot on lunches at work, but luckily my current job is 3 minutes from my house, so I save a bunch of money by going home for lunch every day

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I think most people considering this $850 phone can easily find a way to cut expenses for a few weeks or in Mike-Mike case, 2 meals lol

I still don't agree with down payment on JoD and I'll continue to voice my displeasure with them about it but after my GF claimed my S8 pre-order, I relented.

Although, I did get some of my pre-order back. For some reason my main CC that I use for everything to get airline points wasn't working in their system. I was on the phone with the rep for 25 minutes as we kept verifying the info, trying the card, etc. He finally asked if I had another card and I said sure, I have plenty, but this is my primary card for points. He said he understood and if we had to use another card he would give me a $50 account credit for my time and trouble. We switched to the other card and it went thru the first time and he credited my account $50.

I guess in the end the pre-order will only cost me $90 net after taxes. Slightly better than a kick in the face.

I haven't called my CC company yet but I'm guessing they blocked the charges because the first time they ran the card he entered the wrong security code. That probably prevented all other attempts.

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
The nice thing about JOD-no taxes up front.

I have T-Mobile with Jump On Demand and I was charged tax for the S8+ but I ordered over the phone because I have Jump On Demand so I can only order over the phone or at a corporate store.

Breakdown:

S8 Plus: $130

Upgrade Support Charges: $20

Taxes and fee: $12.23

Total price: $162.23

I will fight for a refund once I get the phone for the upgrade and taxes charges. I can see this breakdown when I log into T-Mobile, select my order status and select more details.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I have T-Mobile with Jump On Demand and I was charged tax for the S8+ but I ordered over the phone because I have Jump On Demand so I can only order over the phone or at a corporate store.

Breakdown:

S8 Plus: $130

Upgrade Support Charges: $20

Taxes and fee: $12.23

Total price: $162.23

I will fight for a refund once I get the phone for the upgrade and taxes charges. I can see this breakdown when I log into T-Mobile, select my order status and select more details.
You should not be charged the $20 support fee. However you will pay the taxes on the $130 down payment. That's sales tax and required.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Yup, the next day after the $75 dinner I took my son to get some lunch and it was $21.

So in less than 24 hours I was down $96 for a couple of steaks, chicken kabobs, and chicken tenders

I would rather have the plus

I used to spend a lot on lunches at work, but luckily my current job is 3 minutes from my house, so I save a bunch of money by going home for lunch every day
Well that is awesome my job is 47 miles from my house lol

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
You should not be charged the $20 support fee. However you will pay the taxes on the $130 down payment. That's sales tax and required.

That makes sense about the taxes but yeah screw the upgrade support fee!

I'm extremely surprised that T-Mobile STILL doesn't allow Jump On Demand customers to do an upgrade online like Jump customers. The Jump On Demand program is going on almost 2-years old now...

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Is the sales charge on the down-payment ($130) only for JOD customers? I ask only because I purchased my V20 about 3 and half weeks ago when it was $360 and I had to pay tax on the whole purchase ($31.95 @ 8.875%). The S8+ would be twice as much if I wanted to get it.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

I'm extremely surprised that T-Mobile STILL doesn't allow Jump On Demand customers to do an upgrade online like Jump customers. The Jump On Demand program is going on almost 2-years old now...
I did a JOD on the t mobile chat window, sort of online. There's a technical issue but they're working to resolve that hopefully today

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I did a JOD on the t mobile chat window, sort of online. There's a technical issue but they're working to resolve that hopefully today
I just have to return my 7edge (the jumped from) in store within 14 days from receipt of the s8 plus

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

I'm sure they want to make JoD as difficult as possible to discourage people away from it. It's obvious by charging a down payment they are trying to recoup some cash. I doubt JoD is profitable for them at all for customers that switch phones 3x/year on high end devices.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Is the sales charge on the down-payment ($130) only for JOD customers? I ask only because I purchased my V20 about 3 and half weeks ago when it was $360 and I had to pay tax on the whole purchase ($31.95 @ 8.875%). The S8+ would be twice as much if I wanted to get it.
Well technically JoD isn't supposed to have down payment at all but Legere seems to be going back on his word at this point.

But yes, on JoD the taxes are billed monthly vs up front like regular EIP payment plan. Basically the down payment is a supersized monthly payment so we get taxed on just the $130.

My monthly will be $30 plus tax which is $32.48.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Well technically JoD isn't supposed to have down payment at all but Legere seems to be going back on his word at this point.

But yes, on JoD the taxes are billed monthly vs up front like regular EIP payment plan. Basically the down payment is a supersized monthly payment so we get taxed on just the $130.

My monthly will be $30 plus tax which is $32.48.
Dont forget the $12/mo for JOD added. To that

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit, I'm sooooo tempted to get the S8+ now! I was at Best buy yesterday playing with it for more than 20 mins. The phone is gorgeous! But I know the Note 8 is in the horizon and I think I can wait. I'm hoping my Nexus 6 can hold on until then lol.