About those PRE-ORDERS

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
A you know, I've decided to stick with my galaxy s7 edge and axon7. While the S8 is certainly a spectacular device, it doesn't offer me what I want in an upgrade. I'm writing to let you know that if I were going to buy, I'd definitely wait for may 9th to get the unlocked version. I've learned from past experiences that being tied to a carrier is NOT the way to go. Not only can you not take advantage of lower price deals from competitors, but even within your carrier, you can't change once you're tied to a contract. I've got 4 lines on Verizon and it coasts me 245.00 month. When I called to get the unlimited plan at 45.00 month per line, they said no because I've still got 3 lines on contract. That's why as they run out, im changing to another carrier. I've got my axon7 (unlocked), on project fi and loving it.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The unlocked Galaxy s7 STILL doesn't have nougat. Unless you're switching carriers often there's not really any benefit to an unlocked Samsung phone in the US, especially when it sometimes has less features (wifi calling depending on the carrier). Also, most carriers have trade in deals for if you have a phone from the different carrier. And the contract thing isn't a big deal, most carriers don't even offer them anymore. Sorry you're still in one but the wave of the future is device payment plans.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Two quick things, the Verizon version works on all carriers without needing an unlock code - and the CSR you spoke with is still completely full of it. You can go online and switch yourself to the unlimited plan, if you're still interested.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Two quick things, the Verizon version works on all carriers without needing an unlock code - and the CSR you spoke with is still completely full of it. You can go online and switch yourself to the unlimited plan, if you're still interested.
Won't be 45 per line a month though. Each contract line has to pay an additional 20 per month until it's out of contract.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Won't be 45 per line a month though. Each contract line has to pay an additional 20 per month until it's out of contract.

Right, but if I understood the other posts complaining about this, the OP was saying they were told they couldn't switch at all. It's easy to just make the switch yourself and leave customer service out of it. That's my only point on it :)

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Right, but if I understood the other posts complaining about this, the OP was saying they were told they couldn't switch at all. It's easy to just make the switch yourself and leave customer service out of it. That's my only point on it :)
Oh ok, yeah I was just going by this post where he was complaining about the price. Either way, I think In the US, the unlocked version is a bad idea.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The unlocked Galaxy s7 STILL doesn't have nougat. Unless you're switching carriers often there's not really any benefit to an unlocked Samsung phone in the US, especially when it sometimes has less features (wifi calling depending on the carrier). Also, most carriers have trade in deals for if you have a phone from the different carrier. And the contract thing isn't a big deal, most carriers don't even offer them anymore. Sorry you're still in one but the wave of the future is device payment plans.

I got it 2 weeks ago

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I got it 2 weeks ago
https://www.sammobile.com/2017/03/2...h-security-update-in-us-but-thats-not-enough/

Oh really? Because this article from 3 days ago talks about how it still hasn't been released. You must be in some special group.
can you go into more detail on why you think that, was thinking about going that route this time?
Slower updates than the carrier versions. Last I checked, if you're on Verizon, you can't use WiFi calling on the unlocked version either. There's just no benefit that I can see. You don't even get security updates in a timely manner. Until Samsung stops catering to the carriers first, they'll always get preferred treatment. And like was mentioned above, Verizon version comes unlocked anyway. If I go to another country, I can just put a different sim in no problem.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has promised to switch to a monthly security update on the us unlocked version, rather than the quarterly updates they were sending.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has promised to switch to a monthly security update on the us unlocked version, rather than the quarterly updates they were sending.
Yep and they've promised in the past to better their update process and they've largely remained the same. I'll believe it when I see it. If it is improved, then I'll gladly buy an unlocked model when I upgrade to the Note 8 as long as it has all the same features as the carrier version. I believe the Android Central blog said don't put much stock in what they said though and that they're going to do updates the same way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol