Verizon Galaxy S8 So I guess those of us coming from the Note 7 are just screwed

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
My only issue with Verizon is i have not been able to get them to reset my upgrade status. I returned the Note7 and have been using an old iphone that i had laying around.

I am just going to buy an unlocked S8+ this time.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Legally speaking they are only required to put you in the position you in before you bought it... Meaning a full refund. Samsung already gave you some concessions by letting you keep accessories, watch or vr, gave you a $25 credit or a $100 discount on another Samsung device.

It was explained or should have been explained to you that the discount was a one time thing, and that you couldn't trade in the s7 for the s8 or whatever.

Now if Verizon or samsung promised you that you could do this then i could see why you are upset but that didn't happen

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My only issue with Verizon is i have not been able to get them to reset my upgrade status. I returned the Note7 and have been using an old iphone that i had laying around.

I am just going to buy an unlocked S8+ this time.

So the line you used to buy the Note 7 still has a DPP on it? Or it's still on-contract? What plan are you on?

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
So the line you used to buy the Note 7 still has a DPP on it? Or it's still on-contract? What plan are you on?

No device payment, was never on contract. we are on the XL16 GB plan. I have tried several times since January (when i returned my note 7) to have them change my upgrade status with no luck.

verizon 3-30-17.JPG

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
No device payment, was never on contract. we are on the XL16 GB plan. I have tried several times since January (when i returned my note 7) to have them change my upgrade status with no luck.

View attachment 255374
That's just a system error. It doesn't stop you from being able to upgrade unless you're talking about a 2 yr contract which they don't do anymore, but your line expiration means nothing since you are month to month.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Verizon is telling me that I have to pay off my S7 Edge IN FULL if I want to get the S8. That is total BS considering that we were forced into these phones. Samsung or Verizon better figure something out quick. I'm not paying $600+ to upgrade. It would be cheaper to cancel my service & go elsewhere.

You Do know that if you cancel your service or port to a new carrier, they WILL send you a bill for remaining balance of the S7 And plan charges. If you don't pay it, they will put it on your credit rating as Bad credit.
A phone is Not worth Bad Credit.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is telling me that I have to pay off my S7 Edge IN FULL if I want to get the S8. That is total BS considering that we were forced into these phones. Samsung or Verizon better figure something out quick. I'm not paying $600+ to upgrade. It would be cheaper to cancel my service & go elsewhere.

wait.. were you paying it off before you decided you wanted the galaxy S8 right?

then what has changed? your desire for a new phone means you get to walk free ?

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Is that not allowed?

Let me elaborate -

You bought a Note 7. You had to return it. You're saying you were "forced" to buy a S7 Edge. I disagree. No one is forced to buy a phone. You bought a phone on a device payment plan. In order to buy another phone on that line on a device payment plan, you need to pay off the current phone. That's standard. Also, that doesn't block you from actually buying a phone. You can pay full retail and get an S8.

Anyone that has an active DPP is in the same situation. No one is screwed.

on top of this, Samsung should have already paid for atleast $100 of his S7 Edge, probably got even more and now thinks everything is free.

samsung Fkd up, it cost them money and people got free ****.. that is over.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
To the OP, you didn't get screwed over. That's how the upgrade process works, I planned ahead and just got a refurbished phone. That's why I'm able to upgrade now. I pre-ordered my S8 last month.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but some former Note 7 owners make me laugh. S8 releases and all of a sudden, "we were forced into this...." Wait until the Note 8 releases: "Samsung, you OWE me a Note 8 🤔.

If Samsung or their carrier cuts them a deal on the S8 they'll jump on it. And they'll be talking in August about how they didn't want the S8, because it all started with the N7.

JohnT3

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Note 5 on ebay to replace the Note 7. I knew the situation, there was never a suggestion that you could just grab a different phone on contract and until the next phone release.

jn3wman

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
on top of this, Samsung should have already paid for atleast $100 of his S7 Edge, probably got even more and now thinks everything is free.

samsung Fkd up, it cost them money and people got free ****.. that is over.
I'm not expecting anything for free. This word free wasn't used at all in my original post, so not sure where you got that from. If you don't agree with me, then that's fine, but don't put words in my mouth.

Sounds like most of you in this thread didn't go through the whole note 7 issue. And if you didn't, then clearly this thread is not for you. You guys have no idea what I've gone through with Verizon the past few months, so spare me the lectures on what they're technically responsible for. And just so you know, I spent all day yesterday on the phone with Verizon & the situation is currently being sorted out.

jn3wman

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry, but some former Note 7 owners make me laugh. S8 releases and all of a sudden, "we were forced into this...." Wait until the Note 8 releases: "Samsung, you OWE me a Note 8 🤔.

If Samsung or their carrier cuts them a deal on the S8 they'll jump on it. And they'll be talking in August about how they didn't want the S8, because it all started with the N7.
It's cute that you think N7 owners care about your opinion. And I'm getting exactly what I want from them now, so you can continue laughing.

alt075

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
The part I'm dissapointed in over this entire thing is this. I was affected by the note 7. I had the note 5 and was more than halfway paid off. Upgraded to note 7. Had to send note 5 in cause it was a trade. Was very happy with note 7 then recall. Had to hand it back in. Now they said refund or another phone. I wanted my note 5 back along with what I had left to pay on it. Nope couldn't do that. Had to settle with 7edge and to pay for it. Much higher than what I had left. I was put into a phone I was not really happy with. Not settling for a really cheap phone. Because what I had before was a really good phone and I had paid a lot on it already. So I was really hoping for at least a discount. I didn't want the extra gifts. They can have those back. I would have rather them reset my payment to what I had owed before all this and have my note 5 back. That is how this should have happened. I just sent my note 5 back two days before we found out about the recall. GRRRRRRR. Well you live and you learn. Such is life. Sometimes we lose out.They don't owe free phones to us.