pre order from Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

LdotAdot13

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Anyone pre order straight from Samsung? I just did and noticed it says phone in hand 4/20.

Attachments

• 109252.jpg
    109252.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 170

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You gotta hand it to Samsung, they are definitely on top of their game with the rollout.

I bumped into a Samsung Rep at an AT&T store and she was nice enough to let me hold the S8+ for a few minutes. It definitely feels great and perfectly sized.

It also looks like they've revamped their Protection Plus and put some more effort into their product replacement plan. For like $11 a month, you get their insurance.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It looks like their Premium Care is 11.99 a month, but no deductible for damaged/cracked screens is listed.
They also state that the replacement device is hand delivered by a DISH (or some other company rep) or next day shipping.

If there is no deductible, then that is super sweet. Exchanges are limited to 1 per month.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
So on samsung.com it says you can activate your phone online and save a trip to the store. Does this mean for the SIM card that comes with it if you don't have one?

I already have Tmobile and using a NANO sim. Normally I just remove it and pop it into the new phone.

I'm assuming this is for people activating a new sim?

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
You gotta hand it to Samsung, they are definitely on top of their game with the rollout.

I bumped into a Samsung Rep at an AT&T store and she was nice enough to let me hold the S8+ for a few minutes. It definitely feels great and perfectly sized.

It also looks like they've revamped their Protection Plus and put some more effort into their product replacement plan. For like $11 a month, you get their insurance.

i do not like monthly charges, is there no option to buy that outright?

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Is there an option on free items, I don't really want the vr. Would love the watch, that can receive calls, text messages. 😊

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I just ordered through the samsung website. 20 bucks cheaper than ordering from tmobile since I'm not paying that stupid fee tmobile charges on top of the phone. A lot easier and straight forward than going into the tmobile store and ordering it.

Hopefully samsung here in the states is like in Europe and shipping them 8 days earlier before release. Tmobile last time I didn't get the phone until one day before release.

Compared to the note 7 it seems samsung has improved it's web process for purchasing. Hopefully this goes smooth not having to deal with the shysters at the tmobile store.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
i do not like monthly charges, is there no option to buy that outright?

Of course. You can buy outright from the carrier and Samsung.com. However, with the carrier you can't decide you want to pay an extra $10 per month or whatever. At least that's how it is with AT&T.

Its weird because the monthly payments are zero interest, and whatever extra you pay on your monthly bill should just go to paying down the balance of the device.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered through the samsung website. 20 bucks cheaper than ordering from tmobile since I'm not paying that stupid fee tmobile charges on top of the phone. A lot easier and straight forward than going into the tmobile store and ordering it.

that's the same reason I was thinking about ordering from Samsung directly. But I was confused about activation, didn't understand how that works

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It looks like their Premium Care is 11.99 a month, but no deductible for damaged/cracked screens is listed.
They also state that the replacement device is hand delivered by a DISH (or some other company rep) or next day shipping.

If there is no deductible, then that is super sweet. Exchanges are limited to 1 per month.

i looked at the FAQ and it says this:

Q21. Do I have to pay a deductible when I file for a damaged or malfunctioning device?
A21. There is a $99 deductible for each claim where the device has been damaged.

here it the FAQ

Samsung Premium Care - FAQ

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
that's the same reason I was thinking about ordering from Samsung directly. But I was confused about activation, didn't understand how that works

I believe that is if you're activating a new line, but from what I understand from the past if you do that and select a plan it starts the billing cycle right away so basically you're paying for the plan even though you don't even own the phone yet. If that is what you're doing I'd just would not do online activation and call the carrier when you get the phone or go to your local store and get a SIM card activated for it and save a months fee.

I already have tmobile service and will simply pop in my simcard into it and have another useless simcard laying around lol.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
After having to wait 3 months to get my refund directly from Samsung for my Note 7, there's no way I would pre-order from them.

Basically how my nightmare getting my refund from tmobile was. It looks like samsung is on the ball with this rollout though so I rolled the dice and ordered from them. 20 cheaper than Tmobile and don't have to deal with inept in store reps. If this goes smooth I won't buy from Tmobile again, just the samsung website or best buy unlocked ones.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Basically how my nightmare getting my refund from tmobile was. It looks like samsung is on the ball with this rollout though so I rolled the dice and ordered from them. 20 cheaper than Tmobile and don't have to deal with inept in store reps. If this goes smooth I won't buy from Tmobile again, just the samsung website or best buy unlocked ones.

I ordered from samsung.com instead of T-Mobile but the price is same. Why do you have to talk to useless store reps? You can order from T-Mobile.com for the same $850 + tax and there is no stupid $20 fee or anything else for online orders, that's only if you talk to any clueless reps.

Anyway, my other worry about samsung.com T-Mobile orders is they might be permanently sim locked to T-Mobile since for previous phones bought from samsung.com both samsung and T-Mobile were giving the run around for sim unlocking the phone. Don't want a permanently sim locked phone after paying $1000. Hopefully, that's not the case this time.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I ordered from samsung.com instead of T-Mobile but the price is same. Why do you have to talk to useless store reps? You can order from T-Mobile.com for the same $850 + tax and there is no stupid $20 fee or anything else for online orders, that's only if you talk to any clueless reps.

Anyway, my other worry about samsung.com T-Mobile orders is they might be permanently sim locked to T-Mobile since for previous phones bought from samsung.com both samsung and T-Mobile were giving the run around for sim unlocking the phone. Don't want a permanently sim locked phone after paying $1000. Hopefully, that's not the case this time.

For our account for some reason doesn't give me the option to order online when I log into my account. Always says to go in store or the 800 number. I don't think they will be perm sim locked. I would think it's the exact same packaging as the one you buy in the tmobile store and everything, no difference.

One word of caution if you're planning to eventually unlock it and go to a different carrier is that wifi calling might not work with other carriers on it since it's a tmobile version. Just a heads up about that. You might want to wait until the unlocked one comes out in May and see if wifi calling works with the major carriers on it.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
For our account for some reason doesn't give me the option to order online when I log into my account. Always says to go in store or the 800 number. I don't think they will be perm sim locked. I would think it's the exact same packaging as the one you buy in the tmobile store and everything, no difference.

One word of caution if you're planning to eventually unlock it and go to a different carrier is that wifi calling might not work with other carriers on it since it's a tmobile version. Just a heads up about that. You might want to wait until the unlocked one comes out in May and see if wifi calling works with the major carriers on it.
The problem is the T-Mobile sim unlock app was not working for T-Mobile phones bought direct from Samsung.com for the previous releases. Both T-Mobile and Samsung were just blaming each other, apparently the imei info was not in T-Mobile systems for the phones bought from Samsung. Will it be the same for S8? May be or may be not who knows.

I also have a back up order from T-Mobile.com for just in case. I'm trying to find more info on this over the next few weeks and will cancel either the T-Mobile or Samsung.com order based on what I find. I personally don't want to have permanently sim locked phone after paying close to $1000. It's not like I'm moving carrier or traveling regularly to have sim unlocked. I don't keep my phones for long and definitely a big negative for resale if it's sim locked.

I'm trying to find earlier threads about this issue, will post of if I find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey