05-31-2017 09:38 PM
141 ... 23456
tools
    If you go to the LG thread there's lots of complaints about the camera
    04-04-2017 11:53 AM
    The results of the G6 camera are great. The usability is the problem. Lots of complaints about slow focus and picture taking. Those flowers look nice. That shot of your dog? Probably looks better taken with the S8 or even S7 Edge. Samsung wins in low light as well.

But there's this one thing where the S8 absolutely destroys the G6 -- they're the same exact height, but the S8 is almost 4mm narrower than the G6. Here's the kicker -- the S8 screen is actually bigger. Bigger screen and easier one handed use? This is no contest. And if you think that 4mm doesn't sound that significant, the difference in width between the S7 (not Edge) and the Note 7 was... 4mm.
    04-04-2017 01:35 PM
    Just saw the g6 at the Verizon store. Reminds me of the S7, a last generation phone.
    04-04-2017 02:09 PM
    But there's this one thing where the S8 absolutely destroys the G6 -- they're the same exact height, but the S8 is almost 4mm narrower than the G6. Here's the kicker -- the S8 screen is actually bigger.
    It depends what you mean by bigger: the areas of a 5.8" diagonal display with a 18.5:9 aspect ratio and a 5.7" display with a 2:1 aspect ratio are actually almost identical (0.03% different, which since the display dimensions aren't given to anything like that precision is meaningless).

If you laid both displays flat the 5.7" 2:1 display would actually be 0.5% wider than the 5.8" 18.5:9 (and the S8's display correspondingly slightly longer than the G6's). The difference in widths of the devices is almost entirely due to Samsung curving the edges of the display.

BTW don't get me wrong, the 4mm difference in width is a big selling point for me. But the larger diagonal length is due to the different shapes of the 2 displays, and doesn't really mean that the S8's display is larger.
    04-04-2017 02:32 PM
    All the usual suspects make S8 cases, including slim and clear. I imagine S7 edge and note 7 owners might have some tips on how delicate the curved edges have been.
    Let's face it all the real drop cases rated for like six feet are not super slim (seidio dilex vs thin surface, otter box defender vs thinner commuter, lifeproof). If what I want is basically a clear shell that only really scratch protects and holds a shatter together, basically just skin the S8 in ghost armor and enjoy a phone in invisible clothes. Make sure you keep your accident protection, while it costs more.
    In other words, I don't think cases are a reason to pick a G6, even though I don't like the curved screen.
    It'll be interesting to see more phones like the drop proof moto.
    04-04-2017 02:44 PM
    Reply to vid and comment on color post. Samsung actually gives you control to set your phone to more natural colors. They even give you an auto to go between the three different settings. Not only do you get natural view, you save some battery life, while you are at it.
    04-04-2017 02:48 PM
    But the larger diagonal length is due to the different shapes of the 2 displays, and doesn't really mean that the S8's display is larger.
    You are correct, I asssumed both screens were 1440 x 2960. The G6 is 1440 X 2880. The width of the G6 screen is .3mm wider.
    04-04-2017 03:12 PM
    Just saw the g6 at the Verizon store. Reminds me of the S7, a last generation phone.
    Until you actually use one. I much prefer the G6 to the S7.
    04-04-2017 03:29 PM
    Yep. With last year specs as well. It's a v20 in a new body
    04-04-2017 03:43 PM
    You would have to love lg and hate Samsung to get the 6 over the 8. The only place lg wins is battery life.
    04-04-2017 03:44 PM
    You would have to love lg and hate Samsung to get the 6 over the 8. The only place lg wins is battery life.
    Not true. I love Samsung , but can admit the G6 is an amazing phone.
    04-04-2017 04:14 PM
    By that logic, you could say the S8 has last year's 4gb of RAM and battery size.

Stats don't mean everything.
    04-04-2017 04:15 PM
    No, the G6 has 1/2 the storage and no quad DAC. The V20 seems much nicer.
    04-04-2017 04:38 PM
    If you care about a quad DAC sure -- But I don't so the G6 is nicer for me since the wide angel lens is better on the G6 versus the V20.
    04-04-2017 04:42 PM
    Ya but that's only in u.s
    In India and other parts of Asia G6 will have 64gb memory with hi-fi dac
    04-04-2017 08:12 PM
    It's all preference.....I went into a Verizon store, ready to buy a G6. At the corner of my eye I caught this cutie looking at me. I went to play with her and fell hard..hahaha....the G6 felt like a really great "updated" phone...the S8 felt like an "unprecedented" phone that is the first of its kind...best way to describe it
    Crimsonforce and aokusman like this.
    04-04-2017 08:28 PM
    I actually preordered the G6 and had it for a few days. Out of the blue I got internal file system corrupt and it wouldn't power back on for a while. Send that bad boy back. Maybe it was a sign for me to get the S8
    04-04-2017 10:24 PM
    It's all preference.....I went into a Verizon store, ready to buy a G6. At the corner of my eye I caught this cutie looking at me. I went to play with her and fell hard..hahaha....the G6 felt like a really great "updated" phone...the S8 felt like an "unprecedented" phone that is the first of its kind...best way to describe it
    Exactly the way I feel.
    Wopback likes this.
    04-05-2017 12:36 AM
    I felt like LG was in a unique spot where it could really be something different, but going with the smaller bezels and not much else puts it squarely against the S8 and I don't believe that will end well for them. If I'm trying to compete with Samsung in the Android space, I'm going in a different direction that presents an alternative to what they're bringing to the table. Large battery, large amount of internal storage, and a more stock UI that eliminates the nonsense they've included in their current UI.

Going head to head with a phone that already had a leg up with the Snapdragon 835? Not going to work.
    04-05-2017 09:33 AM
    I felt like LG was in a unique spot where it could really be something different, but going with the smaller bezels and not much else puts it squarely against the S8 and I don't believe that will end well for them. If I'm trying to compete with Samsung in the Android space, I'm going in a different direction that presents an alternative to what they're bringing to the table. Large battery, large amount of internal storage, and a more stock UI that eliminates the nonsense they've included in their current UI.

Going head to head with a phone that already had a leg up with the Snapdragon 835? Not going to work.
    Well they did say they weren't playing the spec game .. And if they waited for the 835 they most likely would have had to delay the phone release as well.

There is more then just bezels being small to the G6.. let's be real .
    04-05-2017 09:45 AM
    Well they did say they weren't playing the spec game .. And if they waited for the 835 they most likely would have had to delay the phone release as well.

There is more then just bezels being small to the G6.. let's be real .
    Oh and the wide angle/dual cameras on the back. Outside of that, most everything is an attempt to match what the S8 is doing (IP68, wireless charging, microSD, etc). All I'm saying is that they would probably have more success if they went a different route. I don't see most people seeing the G6 and S8 and being torn on which one to get considering how similar they are.
    04-05-2017 09:58 AM
    Oh and the wide angle/dual cameras on the back. Outside of that, most everything is an attempt to match what the S8 is doing (IP68, wireless charging, microSD, etc). All I'm saying is that they would probably have more success if they went a different route. I don't see most people seeing the G6 and S8 and being torn on which one to get considering how similar they are.
    Of course they're matching the IP68, SD, etc. -- all phones are. IP68 used to be a called a "Gimmick" by tons of Samsung users .. Now it is a standard. That is how things work. People get new things and at first don't like them then it becomes standard across the board so no surprise other manufactures are doing it.

I believe the G6 will be good on sales but I wouldn't expect it to be at Samsung levels .. TBH I don't think anyone would think that. I think everyone would expect the Samsung to beat pretty much any other Android phone in sales since it is most known by consumer (hence Samsung spending 10 Billion last year on advertising).

LG just put out a good phone to compete. For me the S8 really didn't have much.. Bigger screen / battery but it is pretty much an S7 Edge (but bigger). Oh and a faster SOC but I doubt anyone on day to day use is truly going to notice. That is why Android is nice though .. everyone can get what they want. Some love the Samsung apps.. I don't since I use all of the Google ones that do what Samsung ones do (since they're dupes of the Google ones usually) and will work on any phone (so I am not locked into Samsung).
    04-05-2017 10:03 AM
    Ok this one might not be as 'heated' as the iPhone vs S8 thread I just started, but hey. Let's have some more fun.

If you could choose (and I'm sure many of you are) between the S8 and G6, which one would you choose and why? Or maybe you've already settled on one and placed a pre-order... which one did you get?
    Honestly, S8 is a better phone. Better cameras (both front and rear), better screen, 64gb, 4.4 kernel. I own LG G6 but luckily me I get to have both phones.
    04-05-2017 10:11 AM
    Of course they're matching the IP68, SD, etc. -- all phones are. IP68 used to be a called a "Gimmick" by tons of Samsung users .. Now it is a standard. That is how things work. People get new things and at first don't like them then it becomes standard across the board so no surprise other manufactures are doing it.

I believe the G6 will be good on sales but I wouldn't expect it to be at Samsung levels .. TBH I don't think anyone would think that. I think everyone would expect the Samsung to beat pretty much any other Android phone in sales since it is most known by consumer (hence Samsung spending 10 Billion last year on advertising).

LG just put out a good phone to compete. For me the S8 really didn't have much.. Bigger screen / battery but it is pretty much an S7 Edge (but bigger). Oh and a faster SOC but I doubt anyone on day to day use is truly going to notice. That is why Android is nice though .. everyone can get what they want. Some love the Samsung apps.. I don't since I use all of the Google ones that do what Samsung ones do (since they're dupes of the Google ones usually) and will work on any phone (so I am not locked into Samsung).
    I'm not saying it's bad for them to include these things, but when you look at it next to an S8, the idea behind the phones is basically the same. The big difference? The camera. I can't say this with any real certainty because I haven't gotten to test either camera, but I would be shocked if LG ended up with the better performing shooter. So if you look at their marketing, they're touting the smaller bezels and the dual cameras----not really a huge difference from the S8.

People will buy a Pixel because it has a great camera, great software, and the ability to get updates as fast as they come from Google. People will buy an iPhone for the same reasons, plus the ecosystem. People buy Samsung because they generally push the envelope in hardware, have the best displays, and more often than not the best camera. What I'm saying is I wish LG would create their own identity. There's nothing wrong with the G6, but I just can't see it being too big of a success when it's too similar to the S8.
    04-05-2017 10:15 AM
    I'm not saying it's bad for them to include these things, but when you look at it next to an S8, the idea behind the phones is basically the same. The big difference? The camera. I can't say this with any real certainty because I haven't gotten to test either camera, but I would be shocked if LG ended up with the better performing shooter. So if you look at their marketing, they're touting the smaller bezels and the dual cameras----not really a huge difference from the S8.

People will buy a Pixel because it has a great camera, great software, and the ability to get updates as fast as they come from Google. People will buy an iPhone for the same reasons, plus the ecosystem. People buy Samsung because they generally push the envelope in hardware, have the best displays, and more often than not the best camera. What I'm saying is I wish LG would create their own identity. There's nothing wrong with the G6, but I just can't see it being too big of a success when it's too similar to the S8.
    And I get that but how can they make their own identity in terms of hardware .. The most you can do it put the latest SOC in it. If they did the 835 most would say they're copying Samsung right? Just like you said they're copying Samsung on the SD card when SD cards weren't invented by Samsung and LG actually kept the SD card in the G4, G5, V20, and now the trend continues with the G6 .. But yet you say they're copying Samsung by doing a SD card?

See what I mean? .
    04-05-2017 10:20 AM
141 ... 23456