05-31-2017 09:38 PM
141 ... 3456
tools
    And I get that but how can they make their own identity in terms of hardware .. The most you can do it put the latest SOC in it. If they did the 835 most would say they're copying Samsung right? Just like you said they're copying Samsung on the SD card when SD cards weren't invented by Samsung and LG actually kept the SD card in the G4, G5, V20, and now the trend continues with the G6 .. But yet you say they're copying Samsung by doing an SD card?

See what I mean? .
    I'm not saying they're copying Samsung on the SD card. I said they've included all those things, as they should, but did nothing to differentiate themselves outside of that. I brought up the 835 because regardless they were going to be behind on that---so why introduce a phone that relies on the same marketing scheme as the phone who already has a huge advantage? They created the G5 because they were trying to be different, which is good, but it was just a bad idea. That didn't work out so well for them so now they're going right back to being similar to Samsung.

How can they make their own identity in terms of hardware? I don't know. Samsung managed to do it with curved edges and then went the smaller bezel route which, in my opinion, already beats out LG's attempt. It doesn't even have to be hardware. The Pixel isn't superior to the S8 in hardware, but it is in software (although that gap is being lessened with this new Samsung Experience UI).

I guess I can ask the people in this thread--if LG came at you with a larger footprint for the device, same screen size, but had a 4000 mah battery and 128GB internal storage with microSD, would that change your mind? If their UI was more akin to what Moto/Lenovo is doing on top of that, would that sway you to the G6 over the S8?
    04-05-2017 10:29 AM
    I'm not saying they're copying Samsung on the SD card. I said they've included all those things, as they should, but did nothing to differentiate themselves outside of that. I brought up the 835 because regardless they were going to be behind on that---so why introduce a phone that relies on the same marketing scheme as the phone who already has a huge advantage?
    Because only us phone nerds care about that. I have never ever heard one of my friends say "Well I want (X) phone because it has (X) processor versus that other one".

I guess I can ask the people in this thread--if LG came at you with a larger footprint for the device, same screen size, but had a 4000 mah battery and 128GB internal storage with microSD, would that change your mind? If their UI was more akin to what Moto/Lenovo is doing on top of that, would that sway you to the G6 over the S8?
    I agree who wouldn't want more? If i asked the same thing about S8 / S8 + users .. "Hey would you rather a 4,000 battery versus your 3,500 and would you rather 256 GB internal instead of 64 GB?" I bet they would say the same so I truly don't get your point on that. I doubt anyone would be shocked if you asked someone do they want bigger and better things why they would say no. I can agree LG should have done 64 minimum (I think all phones should be minimum 64 GB) but other than that they decided to go with a big screen in a small package versus doing an "edge" display. That was their idea.

Also I am sure Samsung will have an amazing camera -- zero doubts in my mind at all. LG tries to be different by having a wide angel lens in their camera since most phones don't have that. All these things are their identity but you for some reason act like they had to do more .. when they're doing THEIR own thing .. You just don't LIKE it so you think it isn't their own identity.

And sorry if you weren't saying they copied but it sure as hell seemed like it lol. "They included IP68, wireless charging, SD because Samsung did" -- yes IP68 was also picked up by iPhone, they throw in wireless charging because consumers obviously want it for them to put it in so.. Why is that bad?, and the SD card was never taken away (like Samsung) on LG phones so how are they doing it because "Samsung did" when they never stopped?

Just saying .. let's not pretend things aren't the way they are. You may not like / agree with what they do but their phone is different in its own way (smaller bezel, dual camera w/ wide angel, etc.). All good and dandy to love your S8... and I hope everyone here does. I just find it crazy to say they include something they always have included because "Samsung did it" -- when that makes no sense.
    04-05-2017 10:36 AM
    No, both have SD cards which is a mistake in both devices. 128 is better than 64, battery size doesn't matter unless battery life is better, etc. It'd still be a weird aspect ratio and still be made of glass on the back, so everything that's currently an issue for me on the G6 would still be an issue except for the internal storage quadrupling. Of course, all of that stuff is also wrong with the S8, meaning there's no win possible here.
    04-05-2017 10:42 AM
    By that logic, you could say the S8 has last year's 4gb of RAM and battery size.

Stats don't mean everything.
    well not really. and no phone needs more than 4gb of ram. there are a bunch of new features on the s8 that the s7 or s7e didnt have. v20 to g6 is probably a downgrade. at least sammy upgraded. if you think 4gb isnt enough then go buy a oneplus 3 and tell me how that 6gb of ram works out for you. you wont see a difference
    04-05-2017 10:51 AM
    Because only us phone nerds care about that. I have never ever heard one of my friends say "Well I want (X) phone because it has (X) processor versus that other one".

I agree who wouldn't want more? If i asked the same thing about S8 / S8 + users .. "Hey would you rather a 4,000 battery versus your 3,500 and would you rather 256 GB internal instead of 64 GB?" I bet they would say the same so I truly don't get your point on that. I doubt anyone would be shocked if you asked someone do they want bigger and better things why they would say no. I can agree LG should have done 64 minimum (I think all phones should be minimum 64 GB) but other than that they decided to go with a big screen in a small package versus doing an "edge" display. That was their idea.

Also I am sure Samsung will have an amazing camera -- zero doubts in my mind at all. LG tries to be different by having a wide angel lens in their camera since most phones don't have that. All these things are their identity but you for some reason act like they had to do more .. when they're doing THEIR own thing .. You just don't LIKE it so you think it isn't their own identity.

And sorry if you weren't saying they copied but it sure as hell seemed like it lol. "They included IP68, wireless charging, SD because Samsung did" -- yes IP68 was also picked up by iPhone, they throw in wireless charging because consumers obviously want it for them to put it in so.. Why is that bad?, and the SD card was never taken away (like Samsung) on LG phones so how are they doing it because "Samsung did" when they never stopped?

Just saying .. let's not pretend things aren't the way they are. You may not like / agree with what they do but their phone is different in its own way (smaller bezel, dual camera w/ wide angel, etc.). All good and dandy to love your S8... and I hope everyone here does. I just find it crazy to say they include something they always have included because "Samsung did it" -- when that makes no sense.
    Yeah I don't think you're getting it. You're seeing this as a dig on the G6, a phone you obviously like, and aren't really understanding what I'm getting at here. Do you know what a 4000 mah battery and more internal storage would do? It would present the G6 as more of a power user's phone. When you're shopping for a phone and see the S8 and G6, the added battery and storage may be enough to entice people to buy that. That's my point. It doesn't even need to be that. I'm just saying that LG didn't do enough to differentiate itself from Samsung on this and it's going to cost them when people pull out their wallets/purses. That's it. It shouldn't make people who like the phone like it any less. Just a general observation.
    04-05-2017 10:52 AM
    No, the G6 has 1/2 the storage and no quad DAC. The V20 seems much nicer.
    lol ok i was trying to give it some points but that is very true. thats even worse
    04-05-2017 10:53 AM
    I actually preordered the G6 and had it for a few days. Out of the blue I got internal file system corrupt and it wouldn't power back on for a while. Send that bad boy back. Maybe it was a sign for me to get the S8
    it would have eventually bootlooped as well
    04-05-2017 10:53 AM
    Yeah I don't think you're getting it. You're seeing this as a dig on the G6, a phone you obviously like, and aren't really understanding what I'm getting at here. Do you know what a 4000 mah battery and more internal storage would do? It would present the G6 as more of a power user's phone. When you're shopping for a phone and see the S8 and G6, the added battery and storage may be enough to entice people to buy that. That's my point. It doesn't even need to be that. I'm just saying that LG didn't do enough to differentiate itself from Samsung on this and it's going to cost them when people pull out their wallets/purses. That's it. It shouldn't make people who like the phone like it any less. Just a general observation.
    I do get it .. But they do have differences that you seem to disagree with even though they are different. I get you feel it is less but it simply has different needs. Sure it is easy for us to say "Put a 4k battery in that bezel size .. they should have!" but .. could they? Do you TRULY know if they could have kept what they wanted and done that with everything? Those are things we don't know.

I do like the G6 but I have always loved Samsung phones.. especially the Note series (still sucks what happened to the Note 7 or I would still have it I am pretty sure).. I just don't like "They copied this" or "They aren't doing anything different" when they are .. They just aren't doing it the Samsung way, which you obviously like, and are going how they think it should be.
    04-05-2017 10:55 AM
    I do get it .. But they do have differences that you seem to disagree with even though they are different. I get you feel it is less but it simply has different needs. Sure it is easy for us to say "Put a 4k battery in that bezel size .. they should have!" but .. could they? Do you TRULY know if they could have kept what they wanted and done that with everything? Those are things we don't know.

I do like the G6 but I have always loved Samsung phones.. especially the Note series (still sucks what happened to the Note 7 or I would still have it I am pretty sure).. I just don't like "They copied this" or "They aren't doing anything different" when they are .. They just aren't doing it the Samsung way, which you obviously like, and are going how they think it should be.
    In fairness, I did say they'd have to make the device footprint bigger to add that bigger battery, but I digress. I'm not saying they copied anything or that I prefer they do it the Samsung way. In fact, my whole point is not to do anything of the sort. We'll just agree to disagree on this. I would have preferred them be a tad more different than Samsung and you think they already are. Not a big deal.
    04-05-2017 11:01 AM
    LG tried to set upon their own path. It didn't work. I don't blame them one bit for just putting out a solid phone.
    sydneycooper1979 likes this.
    04-05-2017 01:09 PM
    I would have preferred them be a tad more different than Samsung and you think they already are. Not a big deal.
    Since both devices were developed in parallel I don't see there's much difference between saying that you'd prefer the LG to be more different from the Samsung or saying that you'd prefer the Samsung to be more different from the LG. They both responded in similar ways to I expect similar market research, both developed products with the same basic idea of a longer and relatively narrower screen, otherwise relatively standard flagship specs. I think LG slipped in not spotting that 64GB was going to be normal for flagship storage in 2017, but that was the only real slip.

BTW when it comes to IP ratings I think we should give credit to Sony for that, as they were doing that about a year before anyone else.
    04-05-2017 01:38 PM
    Since both devices were developed in parallel I don't see there's much difference between saying that you'd prefer the LG to be more different from the Samsung or saying that you'd prefer the Samsung to be more different from the LG. They both responded in similar ways to I expect similar market research, both developed products with the same basic idea of a longer and relatively narrower screen, otherwise relatively standard flagship specs. I think LG slipped in not spotting that 64GB was going to be normal for flagship storage in 2017, but that was the only real slip.

BTW when it comes to IP ratings I think we should give credit to Sony for that, as they were doing that about a year before anyone else.
    Except one is clearly more popular and more successful. I don't have a problem with the G6, but I like LG and I would have wanted them to really make their mark this year. We can all agree to disagree on this, but I don't see the G6 as anything that's going to really improve their standing in this game.
    04-05-2017 03:08 PM
    Except one is clearly more popular and more successful. I don't have a problem with the G6, but I like LG and I would have wanted them to really make their mark this year. We can all agree to disagree on this, but I don't see the G6 as anything that's going to really improve their standing in this game.
    Oh, I'm sure it will improve their standing relative to the G5 . Sorry, that was a cheap shot, I know.

My point was that they couldn't go out of their way to be different from a phone they wouldn't have known much about until late in the design process. And apart from these screen form-factors and some variation in cameras (where LG have stuck to their formula and Samsung have stuck to theirs) there's not such a huge variation in hardware features between most flagships - the smartphone is an established product now. And LG did make a break with the screen aspect ratio, which I think we'll see a lot more of (and maybe some more variations on) next year. Pity the manufacturers who decided to simply update the SoC and mildly tweak the cosmetics, because this wasn't the year to take that approach...
    04-05-2017 04:30 PM
    Oh and the wide angle/dual cameras on the back. Outside of that, most everything is an attempt to match what the S8 is doing (IP68, wireless charging, microSD, etc). All I'm saying is that they would probably have more success if they went a different route. I don't see most people seeing the G6 and S8 and being torn on which one to get considering how similar they are.
    Don't forget 1/2 the storage, great match to the S8.
    04-05-2017 06:16 PM
    Of course they're matching the IP68, SD, etc. -- all phones are. IP68 used to be a called a "Gimmick" by tons of Samsung users .. Now it is a standard. That is how things work. People get new things and at first don't like them then it becomes standard across the board so no surprise other manufactures are doing it.

I believe the G6 will be good on sales but I wouldn't expect it to be at Samsung levels .. TBH I don't think anyone would think that. I think everyone would expect the Samsung to beat pretty much any other Android phone in sales since it is most known by consumer (hence Samsung spending 10 Billion last year on advertising).

LG just put out a good phone to compete. For me the S8 really didn't have much.. Bigger screen / battery but it is pretty much an S7 Edge (but bigger). Oh and a faster SOC but I doubt anyone on day to day use is truly going to notice. That is why Android is nice though .. everyone can get what they want. Some love the Samsung apps.. I don't since I use all of the Google ones that do what Samsung ones do (since they're dupes of the Google ones usually) and will work on any phone (so I am not locked into Samsung).
    I fully disagree the G6 will be the 2 for 1 deal on all networks by summer.

Which phones were IP68 before the Samsung Active?
    04-05-2017 06:19 PM
    I fully disagree the G6 will be the 2 for 1 deal on all networks by summer.

Which phones were IP68 before the Samsung Active?
    Huh? I didn't say any were before.. I said they included it since all consumers want that as a must whereas before it was a gimmick. Not sure what you're asking.
    04-05-2017 06:31 PM
    Oh, I'm sure it will improve their standing relative to the G5 . Sorry, that was a cheap shot, I know.

My point was that they couldn't go out of their way to be different from a phone they wouldn't have known much about until late in the design process. And apart from these screen form-factors and some variation in cameras (where LG have stuck to their formula and Samsung have stuck to theirs) there's not such a huge variation in hardware features between most flagships - the smartphone is an established product now. And LG did make a break with the screen aspect ratio, which I think we'll see a lot more of (and maybe some more variations on) next year. Pity the manufacturers who decided to simply update the SoC and mildly tweak the cosmetics, because this wasn't the year to take that approach...
    My point was that they didn't do enough to differentiate themselves from their competition, hardware or software. With all things relatively equal, I don't see a lot of people choosing it over the S8. If it offered something different (i.e. being a power user's phone, more stock software, etc), it might attract those that didn't see the S8 as much of an upgrade over the S7.
    04-05-2017 07:01 PM
    My point was that they didn't do enough to differentiate themselves from their competition, hardware or software. With all things relatively equal, I don't see a lot of people choosing it over the S8. If it offered something different (i.e. being a power user's phone, more stock software, etc), it might attract those that didn't see the S8 as much of an upgrade over the S7.
    Flat screen and dual camera is enough to differ from s8... and ya 821
    04-05-2017 07:49 PM
    Can you imagine if the G6 was fitted with the Snapdragon 835? The 821 is one of the reasons that turned me off.
    04-06-2017 09:15 PM
    SD835 would have added some 'prestige' to the G6 but I don't think they could afford to wait until they had access to them too. They know they can't sell the same numbers as Samsung so they gotta come out early, make a very solid phone over the G5 from last year and sell as many as they can while they have momentum.

They probably knew what specs the S8 would be and have the best specs and they could have played the spec game too and gone for it... 64gb, 4gb, better dual cams, quad DAC... throwing it all in there with the 821 and take there chances... but then they'd have to price as expensive as the S8 or more and if they did that they probably know they'd lose like that and not make as much money either.

I think they wanted to reset after a terrible G5 with a solid G6 at a solid price to sell and get as many millions of units out and I think they did it. I think he review below reflects those thoughts.

Can you imagine if the G6 was fitted with the Snapdragon 835? The 821 is one of the reasons that turned me off.
    04-06-2017 09:43 PM
    Why?
    04-06-2017 10:41 PM
    Why?
    I know it's still very capable but i just like the "Latest & Greatest".
    04-06-2017 11:13 PM
    Fair enough.
    04-06-2017 11:32 PM
    Latest is not always the greatest...
    04-07-2017 02:47 AM
    Latest is not always the greatest...
    But it is the latest...
    04-07-2017 03:08 AM
141 ... 3456