Samsung Galaxy S8 or LG G6?

washuai

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Reply to vid and comment on color post. Samsung actually gives you control to set your phone to more natural colors. They even give you an auto to go between the three different settings. Not only do you get natural view, you save some battery life, while you are at it.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
But the larger diagonal length is due to the different shapes of the 2 displays, and doesn't really mean that the S8's display is larger.
You are correct, I asssumed both screens were 1440 x 2960. The G6 is 1440 X 2880. The width of the G6 screen is .3mm wider.

SHO_3 5

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
I actually preordered the G6 and had it for a few days. Out of the blue I got internal file system corrupt and it wouldn't power back on for a while. Send that bad boy back. Maybe it was a sign for me to get the S8

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
It's all preference.....I went into a Verizon store, ready to buy a G6. At the corner of my eye I caught this cutie looking at me. I went to play with her and fell hard..hahaha....the G6 felt like a really great "updated" phone...the S8 felt like an "unprecedented" phone that is the first of its kind...best way to describe it

Exactly the way I feel.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I felt like LG was in a unique spot where it could really be something different, but going with the smaller bezels and not much else puts it squarely against the S8 and I don't believe that will end well for them. If I'm trying to compete with Samsung in the Android space, I'm going in a different direction that presents an alternative to what they're bringing to the table. Large battery, large amount of internal storage, and a more stock UI that eliminates the nonsense they've included in their current UI.

Going head to head with a phone that already had a leg up with the Snapdragon 835? Not going to work.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I felt like LG was in a unique spot where it could really be something different, but going with the smaller bezels and not much else puts it squarely against the S8 and I don't believe that will end well for them. If I'm trying to compete with Samsung in the Android space, I'm going in a different direction that presents an alternative to what they're bringing to the table. Large battery, large amount of internal storage, and a more stock UI that eliminates the nonsense they've included in their current UI.

Going head to head with a phone that already had a leg up with the Snapdragon 835? Not going to work.

Well they did say they weren't playing the spec game .. And if they waited for the 835 they most likely would have had to delay the phone release as well.

There is more then just bezels being small to the G6.. let's be real ;).

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Well they did say they weren't playing the spec game .. And if they waited for the 835 they most likely would have had to delay the phone release as well.

There is more then just bezels being small to the G6.. let's be real ;).

Oh and the wide angle/dual cameras on the back. Outside of that, most everything is an attempt to match what the S8 is doing (IP68, wireless charging, microSD, etc). All I'm saying is that they would probably have more success if they went a different route. I don't see most people seeing the G6 and S8 and being torn on which one to get considering how similar they are.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh and the wide angle/dual cameras on the back. Outside of that, most everything is an attempt to match what the S8 is doing (IP68, wireless charging, microSD, etc). All I'm saying is that they would probably have more success if they went a different route. I don't see most people seeing the G6 and S8 and being torn on which one to get considering how similar they are.

Of course they're matching the IP68, SD, etc. -- all phones are. IP68 used to be a called a "Gimmick" by tons of Samsung users .. Now it is a standard. That is how things work. People get new things and at first don't like them then it becomes standard across the board so no surprise other manufactures are doing it.

I believe the G6 will be good on sales but I wouldn't expect it to be at Samsung levels .. TBH I don't think anyone would think that. I think everyone would expect the Samsung to beat pretty much any other Android phone in sales since it is most known by consumer (hence Samsung spending 10 Billion last year on advertising).

LG just put out a good phone to compete. For me the S8 really didn't have much.. Bigger screen / battery but it is pretty much an S7 Edge (but bigger). Oh and a faster SOC but I doubt anyone on day to day use is truly going to notice. That is why Android is nice though :).. everyone can get what they want. Some love the Samsung apps.. I don't since I use all of the Google ones that do what Samsung ones do (since they're dupes of the Google ones usually) and will work on any phone (so I am not locked into Samsung).

Ilya Ivanov

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok this one might not be as 'heated' as the iPhone vs S8 thread I just started, but hey. Let's have some more fun.

If you could choose (and I'm sure many of you are) between the S8 and G6, which one would you choose and why? Or maybe you've already settled on one and placed a pre-order... which one did you get?
Honestly, S8 is a better phone. Better cameras (both front and rear), better screen, 64gb, 4.4 kernel. I own LG G6 but luckily me I get to have both phones.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Of course they're matching the IP68, SD, etc. -- all phones are. IP68 used to be a called a "Gimmick" by tons of Samsung users .. Now it is a standard. That is how things work. People get new things and at first don't like them then it becomes standard across the board so no surprise other manufactures are doing it.

I believe the G6 will be good on sales but I wouldn't expect it to be at Samsung levels .. TBH I don't think anyone would think that. I think everyone would expect the Samsung to beat pretty much any other Android phone in sales since it is most known by consumer (hence Samsung spending 10 Billion last year on advertising).

LG just put out a good phone to compete. For me the S8 really didn't have much.. Bigger screen / battery but it is pretty much an S7 Edge (but bigger). Oh and a faster SOC but I doubt anyone on day to day use is truly going to notice. That is why Android is nice though :).. everyone can get what they want. Some love the Samsung apps.. I don't since I use all of the Google ones that do what Samsung ones do (since they're dupes of the Google ones usually) and will work on any phone (so I am not locked into Samsung).

I'm not saying it's bad for them to include these things, but when you look at it next to an S8, the idea behind the phones is basically the same. The big difference? The camera. I can't say this with any real certainty because I haven't gotten to test either camera, but I would be shocked if LG ended up with the better performing shooter. So if you look at their marketing, they're touting the smaller bezels and the dual cameras----not really a huge difference from the S8.

People will buy a Pixel because it has a great camera, great software, and the ability to get updates as fast as they come from Google. People will buy an iPhone for the same reasons, plus the ecosystem. People buy Samsung because they generally push the envelope in hardware, have the best displays, and more often than not the best camera. What I'm saying is I wish LG would create their own identity. There's nothing wrong with the G6, but I just can't see it being too big of a success when it's too similar to the S8.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying it's bad for them to include these things, but when you look at it next to an S8, the idea behind the phones is basically the same. The big difference? The camera. I can't say this with any real certainty because I haven't gotten to test either camera, but I would be shocked if LG ended up with the better performing shooter. So if you look at their marketing, they're touting the smaller bezels and the dual cameras----not really a huge difference from the S8.

People will buy a Pixel because it has a great camera, great software, and the ability to get updates as fast as they come from Google. People will buy an iPhone for the same reasons, plus the ecosystem. People buy Samsung because they generally push the envelope in hardware, have the best displays, and more often than not the best camera. What I'm saying is I wish LG would create their own identity. There's nothing wrong with the G6, but I just can't see it being too big of a success when it's too similar to the S8.

And I get that but how can they make their own identity in terms of hardware .. The most you can do it put the latest SOC in it. If they did the 835 most would say they're copying Samsung right? Just like you said they're copying Samsung on the SD card when SD cards weren't invented by Samsung and LG actually kept the SD card in the G4, G5, V20, and now the trend continues with the G6 .. But yet you say they're copying Samsung by doing a SD card?

See what I mean? ;).

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
And I get that but how can they make their own identity in terms of hardware .. The most you can do it put the latest SOC in it. If they did the 835 most would say they're copying Samsung right? Just like you said they're copying Samsung on the SD card when SD cards weren't invented by Samsung and LG actually kept the SD card in the G4, G5, V20, and now the trend continues with the G6 .. But yet you say they're copying Samsung by doing an SD card?

See what I mean? ;).

I'm not saying they're copying Samsung on the SD card. I said they've included all those things, as they should, but did nothing to differentiate themselves outside of that. I brought up the 835 because regardless they were going to be behind on that---so why introduce a phone that relies on the same marketing scheme as the phone who already has a huge advantage? They created the G5 because they were trying to be different, which is good, but it was just a bad idea. That didn't work out so well for them so now they're going right back to being similar to Samsung.

How can they make their own identity in terms of hardware? I don't know. Samsung managed to do it with curved edges and then went the smaller bezel route which, in my opinion, already beats out LG's attempt. It doesn't even have to be hardware. The Pixel isn't superior to the S8 in hardware, but it is in software (although that gap is being lessened with this new Samsung Experience UI).

I guess I can ask the people in this thread--if LG came at you with a larger footprint for the device, same screen size, but had a 4000 mah battery and 128GB internal storage with microSD, would that change your mind? If their UI was more akin to what Moto/Lenovo is doing on top of that, would that sway you to the G6 over the S8?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol