05-31-2017 09:38 PM
141 123 ...
tools
    Ok this one might not be as 'heated' as the iPhone vs S8 thread I just started, but hey. Let's have some more fun.

If you could choose (and I'm sure many of you are) between the S8 and G6, which one would you choose and why? Or maybe you've already settled on one and placed a pre-order... which one did you get?
    03-30-2017 02:32 PM
    I don't really have a choice. Lol I'm on Boost Mobile so I'll have to get the S8. They never carry LG Flagships except for the G2, G3, & Flex 2. They always carry the Samsung Flagships though. *Sigh* But I'll have to wait awhile for them to carry it. My S6 will hold me over until then.
    -
    I really liked the dual cam set up of the G6.
    03-30-2017 02:43 PM
    Had the G6 for less than 24 hours and returned it. Didn't care for the camera. S8 is on order now.
    03-30-2017 02:55 PM
    Wow, I heard nothing but good things about that camera. With that said the S8 is pretty impressive I can't blame for returning.
    03-30-2017 03:01 PM
    I can even argue for the moto Z.

I love the moto Mods the JBL SoundBoost is amazing, besides my addiction why do I want to sell it for the S8+?
    03-30-2017 03:16 PM
    Had the G6 for less than 24 hours and returned it. Didn't care for the camera. S8 is on order now.
    I saw a video with some camera samples and was not impressed either.
    03-30-2017 07:00 PM
    I decided to splurge and pay $850 for the S8 Plus over the G6. Plus with Samsung there are more cases and such for them too. I doubt I buy the Note 8 now unless I won the lotto or something lol because I don't feel like blowing more money but I might pickup a tab s3 when the price goes down later in the year and get my spen fix from that!
    The Phone Company likes this.
    03-30-2017 08:12 PM
    I saw a video with some camera samples and was not impressed either.
    It was very disappointing. I'll be giving up my V20 as well when the S8 arrives.

Samsung puts a brand new Sony IMX333 sensor in the S8/+ and LG is still using 2+ year old sensors. I'm a huge LG but that is a fail in my opinion.
    03-30-2017 08:14 PM
    After going from enjoyment to frustration, and finally staring at my 6-day-old LG G6 'fast-charge' from 6% to 20% in the past hour, I decided to contact T-Mobile to initiate a mail-in return. Fast battery drain and battery charging speed has been a real issue, and I've made sure I had no apps or settings causing it. That, plus the fact it's only 32GB has me juggling moving apps and data to the MicroSD card, I thought the S8 would probably give me better peace of mind.

I could've simply JUMP!ed to it, but:
    1. phone orders are not subject to the $50 restocking fee like in-store purchases
    2. I actually have until 4/11 to ship it out back to T-Mobile, and
    3. I'll get refunded the $60 initial down on it.

So I may be out of a phone for up to nine days until the S8 arrives (or less if preorders actually ship early!), but luckily, with the T-Mobile DIGITS beta and my LG Watch Sport, it's been working independently as a full-fledged phone and texting device on my same number, so it won't be so bad.

I couldn't justify the additional 500mAh and 0.4" screen size upgrade to the S8 Plus for $100, and since I'm on JUMP! on Demand, I'd rather not put money down in the event another phone comes along, as that gets lost in the upgrade.
    03-30-2017 10:05 PM
    After going from enjoyment to frustration, and finally staring at my 6-day-old LG G6 'fast-charge' from 6% to 20% in the past hour, I decided to contact T-Mobile to initiate a mail-in return. Fast battery drain and battery charging speed has been a real issue, and I've made sure I had no apps or settings causing it. That, plus the fact it's only 32GB has me juggling moving apps and data to the MicroSD card, I thought the S8 would probably give me better peace of mind.

I could've simply JUMP!ed to it, but:
    1. phone orders are not subject to the $50 restocking fee like in-store purchases
    2. I actually have until 4/11 to ship it out back to T-Mobile, and
    3. I'll get refunded the $60 initial down on it.

So I may be out of a phone for up to nine days until the S8 arrives (or less if preorders actually ship early!), but luckily, with the T-Mobile DIGITS beta and my LG Watch Sport, it's been working independently as a full-fledged phone and texting device on my same number, so it won't be so bad.

I couldn't justify the additional 500mAh and 0.4" screen size upgrade to the S8 Plus for $100, and since I'm on JUMP! on Demand, I'd rather not put money down in the event another phone comes along, as that gets lost in the upgrade.
    Just a heads up in case you run into this odd issue like I did...

I dropped my G6 off to UPS on Tuesday for return. It wasn't going to far and was out for delivery to the return center on Wednesday. When I checked last night to make sure it was delivered, the status said 'Package held for future delivery'. Umm, what?

I contacted UPS today and a supervisor from the UPS facility called me back. She said she had been on the phone all day with people about this because the T-Mobile return center put a hold on all deliveries until next week because of excess inventory. What a joke.

I contacted TMobile on Twitter earlier this evening and they were able to rectify the situation. They said normally the phone needs to be scanned at the return center first but because the was some issue there and the tracking showed I did in fact send the phone back, they went ahead and processed the return. It's currently showing completed in my account and I should get an email in 24 hours.
    BeyondtheTech and left4dead like this.
    03-30-2017 10:19 PM
    I don't get why anyone would want a G6 over an S8. Let's talk about the bootlooping issues of the last few generations of LG phones (lawsuit pending on that), let's talk about the failed attempt to use mods (G5), How about the so called metal body of the G5 that turned out to be a mixture of plastic and metal and lastly, The battery on most LG phones are terrible and Lgs answer is, "Your battery is removable, Buy another one".... Are you serious? I actually really enjoyed the V10 and then they ruined the V series on the V20 with a incremental upgrade and boring design.

LG is done, Google, Samsung, Apple and even HTC are ahead of the game. Even other companies like Haewai, One Plus and Motorola.

Don't make the mistake of getting the G6 over the Galaxy S8, Pixel or even Apple's Boring IPhones.

Oh, I forgot, How about the terrible and slow updates?

Pass...
    03-30-2017 10:25 PM
    Just a heads up in case you run into this odd issue like I did...

I dropped my G6 off to UPS on Tuesday for return. It wasn't going to far and was out for delivery to the return center on Wednesday. When I checked last night to make sure it was delivered, the status said 'Package held for future delivery'. Umm, what?

I contacted UPS today and a supervisor from the UPS facility called me back. She said she had been on the phone all day with people about this because the T-Mobile return center put a hold on all deliveries until next week because of excess inventory. What a joke.

I contacted TMobile on Twitter earlier this evening and they were able to rectify the situation. They said normally the phone needs to be scanned at the return center first but because the was some issue there and the tracking showed I did in fact send the phone back, they went ahead and processed the return. It's currently showing completed in my account and I should get an email in 24 hours.
    Tmobile returns process is a nightmare and slow. Actually it can take up to 4 weeks to be scanned at the warehouse. I took a roll of the dice and orderd my s8 via Samsung's website this time.
    03-30-2017 10:34 PM
    Tmobile returns process is a nightmare and slow. Actually it can take up to 4 weeks to be scanned at the warehouse. I took a roll of the dice and orderd my s8 via Samsung's website this time.
    Yeah they told me when I requested the return label it could take up to 30 days which is absurd. I guess that's the price to pay for no restocking fee.

They ticked me off so much by requiring $130 down payment on the S8+ on JOD that I bought the silver S8 on Samsung.com this morning for $650.
    03-30-2017 10:58 PM
    S8. My g4 bootlooped ( very common problem) and LG USA refused to warranty it due to it being the h815. I also had touchscreen problems. Of course my note 7 was recalled but Verizon/ Samsung gave me a full refund plus $25 credit and i got to keep the vr and accessories.
    03-30-2017 11:15 PM
    Yeah they told me when I requested the return label it could take up to 30 days which is absurd. I guess that's the price to pay for no restocking fee.

They ticked me off so much by requiring $130 down payment on the S8+ on JOD that I bought the silver S8 on Samsung.com this morning for $650.
    Tmobile while they have some great prices on plans and their cell signal strength is great in most areas, the customer service and service fees though are not very good at all. I'm on a grandfathered plan for texting and data since I've been with them for almost 11 years now so I don't have JOD or anything which is why I stay with them because it's far cheaper than switching to ATT or Verizon and Sprint cell service is crap.
    03-30-2017 11:17 PM
    I like both phones but for me if lg gets the pricing right on the g6 i might buy it
    03-31-2017 12:18 AM
    The G6 is a great phone (I'm using it as we speak) and quite a return to form for LG, but the S8 easily wins in my book. Unless you absolutely need a flat screen, that S8 is just a beast of a phone.
    03-31-2017 12:32 AM
    Haven't seen either in the flesh yet, and know nothing about real-world battery life or audio performance of the S8. But with those caveats, on specs along the S8 is narrower (better for me, despite LG's claiming that 72mm is the ideal width) & comes with more storage, so wins on those practical grounds.
    03-31-2017 03:31 AM
    Samsung puts a brand new Sony IMX333 sensor in the S8/+ and LG is still using 2+ year old sensors. I'm a huge LG but that is a fail in my opinion.
    The G6 actually uses an IMX258.

Specs-wise, it's similar to the IMX214 but adds phase-detection autofocus along with some smaller updates.
    03-31-2017 05:52 AM
    S8+ for me.

The G6 is a very good phone and a great showcase for LG's return to form. But LG's butchered history with the bootloop fiasco on the G4, Nexus 5X and V10 along with the failure of the LG G5 have given me pause, especially since I've been affected by the bootloop issue.

That being said, no one should be mocked for choosing one over the other. We all have different preferences and whichever way you go, you're getting a great phone.
    03-31-2017 05:55 AM
    I am returning my G6 today and will be preordering a Midnight black 8 today as well. The phone is built well but the camera was very slow with focusing on moving subjects in anything but perfect light. My s7 edge takes tremendous photos and I loved the camera in my Note 7 so I'll be very excited for a Note style phone albeit no stylus. After the V20 and now G6 having horrible auto modes in cameras I'm done with LG.
    03-31-2017 06:16 AM
    The G6 actually uses an IMX258.

Specs-wise, it's similar to the IMX214 but adds phase-detection autofocus along with some smaller updates.
    Ok, my bad, it's only 18 months old. Older than the sensor in the V20 and Sony has produced quite a few more sensors since then.

It's old. It wasn't good IMO. They should do better.
    03-31-2017 06:37 AM
    I have both.
    03-31-2017 06:41 AM
    This is a tough one! The S8 edges out in my opinon, but not by much.
    03-31-2017 03:58 PM
    Does anyone know where to find the LTE bands for the S8? LG lists the LG G6 bands on their website for each carrier but I can't seem to find anything from Samsung. T-Mobile doesn't bother to list all the bands for either.
    03-31-2017 05:21 PM
141 123 ...