Can the S8 be used underwater? Typing and all that

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I was watching some video and the guy said the S8 can be actually used underwater with ur fingers, like typing and all that...is this true?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it, but not having used one, I can't say for sure. The IP rating for this phone, just like the S7 Edge, is not for underwater pressure for too long, so I wouldn't use it underwater. Plus, the screen, just like the Note 7 before it (and pretty much any touch panel) doesn't really 'like' water for touch input (remember those movie scenes where people get electrocuted with water? it conducts electricity (and the less pure water is, the more conductive it is... and we don't really swim in ultra-purified water, do we? :p) as it just conducts our touch input to the entire screen. The S-Pen got away with that (that does work underwater) as the receiver was not ON the screen itself and thus isolated from the water film.

But yeah, even if you can operate this underwater (again, I don't think you can other than general big-button presses), I would advice against it.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
If I remember right on the note 7, you had to use the S pen to use the screen under water.

The video I seen on the S8 didn't show them typing under water, just showed you could use it with a wet screen, which is differnt as a wet screen doesn't have pressure on the screen like there would be if submerged. So don't know if they changed things on the S8.

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
The problem also to handle the screen underwater is that the technology needed to recognize the fingers under water isn't available right now, maybe being wet but I don't think underwater

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I doubt that would work underwater lol

Aaaaactually... not quite. Yes, TALKING to them might now work, but since Bixby seems to be integrated in the device's camera too, you could, in theory, still interact with Bixby by having it recognize and search for objects underwater. Getting a signal underwater, however, might be tougher so you'll probably have to be near the surface for the thing to work.

Oh, and although BT 'dies' quickly underwater, it is technically still possible to connect a BT headset and either keep your head above water and the phone VERY close to the surface so the BT headset signal still reaches the phone, or be both underwater (waterproof headphones, of course) but pretty much stuck together and hope your bubbly, underwater yelling is recognized by your BT microphone.

Cale Cadman

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site
You can't use any phone's touch screen under water unless it's pressure sensitive. The S8+ is not pressure sensitive. Any note device by Samsung has pressure sensitive option.

You can take pictures under water by using the volume keys instead of the touch screen. The water may try to change settings though as your phone will think all of the water is you touching the screen.

You won't get service under water either. So no, no bixby vision. You'll lose service after 6-12 inches of submersion regardless of having full bars 4g before going under.

All answers are from experience on my S8+

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I was watching some video and the guy said the S8 can be actually used underwater with ur fingers, like typing and all that...is this true?

You could, but it's problematic. The water excerts enough pressure that it will register and cause erratic behavior. Even in a water proof pouch of case you'll get wierd behavior.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You could, but it's problematic. The water excerts enough pressure that it will register and cause erratic behavior. Even in a water proof pouch of case you'll get wierd behavior.

The pressure has absolutely nothing to do with it. Water is a carrier for electricity, even in minute amounts. Since the S8's screen is capactive (uses the tiny amounts of electric charge in your body to register touches) the water interferes with normal operation.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
The pressure has absolutely nothing to do with it. Water is a carrier for electricity, even in minute amounts. Since the S8's screen is capactive (uses the tiny amounts of electric charge in your body to register touches) the water interferes with normal operation.

Perhaps the OP was planning on swimming in a pool of deionized water? 😁

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Can't help but think people are saying no just to say no to silly questions.

1) the screen will have problems registering touches under water.
2) the IP rating is fine for swims in the kiddy pool up to 30 minutes, but its a protection rating not a feature. There is still a chance that water can get inside and it is NOT covered by warranty. Also the seals are tested with fresh water, contaminants like salt and chlorine can damage the seals.
3) you will lose the phone with your seals bursting before you will get deep under water enough to lose signals. :)

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I take under water photos with my S7 by submerging the camera under, but leaving the end with the charge port above, microphone picks up voice commands to take photos.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

Thanks. I didn't realize that. Learning has occurred.