03-30-2017 05:05 PM
    It is the same sensor. They usually source from two different manufacturers every year. This is no different.
    03-30-2017 06:37 PM
    It is the same sensor. They usually source from two different manufacturers every year. This is no different.
    Did you read the article? They are using the new Sony IMX333 sensor, not the same one as last year.
    03-30-2017 06:40 PM
    Did you read the article? They are using the new Sony IMX333 sensor, not the same one as last year.
    I did read it. I just misunderstood because it links to their article that says that there were no changes from last year and the only difference would be based on the chip. It still has the exact same specs though so I'm not sure what's better about it. I guess it's good that it's a different sensor. The question is, is it just a repackaged version of last year's sensor since there are no obvious specification differences.
    03-30-2017 06:48 PM
    I did read it. I just misunderstood because it links to their article that says that there were no changes from last year and the only difference would be based on the chip. It still has the exact same specs though so I'm not sure what's better about it. I guess it's good that it's a different sensor. The question is, is it just a repackaged version of last year's sensor since there are no obvious specification differences.
    Not sure. You wouldn't think Sony would bother producing a new sensor that didn't have some kind of improvement. Apparently the new sensor isn't even listed on Sony's website but I haven't checked to be sure that's the case.
    03-30-2017 06:51 PM
    Not sure. You wouldn't think Sony would bother producing a new sensor that didn't have some kind of improvement. Apparently the new sensor isn't even listed on Sony's website but I haven't checked to be sure that's the case.
    I would hope they wouldn't. As long as picture quality isn't worse, I guess I'll be fine with it. I think I read somewhere that someone was saying it seemed to take in less detail. May have been Bader in the question thread. Another website said something similar too. That's not a good sign. Guess we'll see soon enough though.
    03-30-2017 06:56 PM
    I would hope they wouldn't. As long as picture quality isn't worse, I guess I'll be fine with it. I think I read somewhere that someone was saying it seemed to take in less detail. May have been Bader in the question thread. Another website said something similar too. That's not a good sign. Guess we'll see soon enough though.
    I don't put any stock on feedback from pre-production units.
    03-30-2017 06:57 PM
    I don't put any stock on feedback from pre-production units.
    I do. In all the time I've been following phones, any time they've cautioned people that "these are preproduction units, so things could improve" there seems to never have been any meaningful improvement. Like back when HTC was saying they were pushing out an update. Hopefully once people spend more time with the devices they'll be able to put them through the paces and we can get a true reading of how good they are. I don't think things are going to be drastically different secondary to an update though.
    03-30-2017 07:01 PM