Default resolution out of the box is 1080p. will you be running daily at 1080 or 1440?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Default resolution on the S8 phones is full HD+ out of the box... 1080p... not set to the amazing looking Quad HD+ 2960x1440.

I know the S7 had resolution change ability too right? But I thought they defaulted at Quad HD and still had great battery life. But I did read when Nougat update was available, the update changed the default resolution to 1080p. So people that noticed a little more battery life after Nougat... well ya if you brung down the resolution to 1080p that might help.

Not sure how to think about that default of 1080p... most likely to save battery life since they will be rocking 3000 mah and 3500 mah batteries. But isn't it kinda cheaty? Doesn't it defeat the purpose of having the spec if it's not set at default? Most likely people won't even notice the difference or ever realize they are running 1080p.

If you buy an S8... are you going to run it at 1080p or are you going to run it at its full glory?

When we start reading reviews... are they going to mention if they ran battery tests with screen at default 1080. Or at Quad HD?

Just some thoughts I had while waiting on full reviews and battery is going to be important to me.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Re: Default resolution out of the box is 1080p... will,you be running daily at 1080p or 1440

If there is not much difference in battery life I'll run WQHD so I can at least get my moneys worth. Otherwise, FHD doesn't bother me. I'm running FHD on my S7E now.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Re: Default resolution out of the box is 1080p... will,you be running daily at 1080p or 1440

I never really see a big degradation in image quality running at 1080 so if I can get better battery life with it at 1080 I'll go for that.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I never really see a big degradation in image quality running at 1080 so if I can get better battery life with it at 1080 I'll go for that.
1440 unless I'm playing a very heavy game.

Look, even when it's running at 1080, it will still be utilizing all the pixels on the display. Simply reducing the resolution from a display's native resolution won't reduce consumption by itself. Instead, where you'll see potential benefits is from less processor load. Because the GPU doesn't have to drive so much pixels, power consumption should theoretically be lower, though probably not to the point of giving you 3 more hours of SOT.

Because the S8 utilizes OLED, you'll see more potential power savings by either reducing the brightness, utilizing true black themes or using a filter that shuts off some pixels.

GrumpyMomofMacR

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site

I took a look at the S8 and S8+ in Best Buy and tried them out at 1080p and 1440 and really couldn't see a difference looking at most apps and screens and even pictures. Usually my eyes are pretty good at detecting differences, for example an iPhone 7 display looks kind of "dotty" to me. I'm going to run it at the default except of course for VR.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

I will run 1440. Unless the battery life is simply terrible like the S6 was but I don't think it will drain nearly that bad even though I got the bigger screen with the s8 plus.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site

Battery savings will be minimal based on my experiment with my s7.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site

1440p. None of these phones have great battery life. To make the battery last longer it needs to be bigger and that would mean the phone would need to be bigger. Aesthetics win out over function every time. Hopefully, the 835 chip is a little more efficient. In the scheme of things, the trade off of battery power versus everything else, I am ok with sticking an extra charger in my purse.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
And I read somewhere else that out of the box, there is power management setting and defaults at "optimized" and not "high performance." :confused:

So... display capability reduced by default... power management reduced by default. I feel like we're dealing with a Windows OS laptop with these default settings :-\ I don't hear these type of settings on other phones that are promoting their top specs.

Many times I choose Aesthetics over function too with a lot of things... but as long as function is not reduced on the severe side. I don't think battery will be terrible... but to exaggerate... if at full power the phone can only get 3 hours SOT, then no thank you. 4 hours SOT with all the power management on... I don't know.

I'm gonna say I'd expect close to 5 hours then with default settings... display at 1080 and power mgmt at "optimized." G6 reviews have over 3.5 hours to 4 SOT... and I believe they run display at full and no power management on the SD821.

I like that it has controls to change if you feel you need to conserve power... but come on... show me how the phone runs at full power and how long it lasts. sell your phones with the screen displaying what it's capable of out of box and processor running apps at what it's capable of and show me how the battery performs at its best. Then if I want to reduce to squeeze out that extra hour then so be it.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
And I read somewhere else that out of the box, there is power management setting and defaults at "optimized" and not "high performance." :confused:

So... display capability reduced by default... power management reduced by default. I feel like we're dealing with a Windows OS laptop with these default settings :-\ I don't hear these type of settings on other phones that are promoting their top specs.

Many times I choose Aesthetics over function too with a lot of things... but as long as function is not reduced on the severe side. I don't think battery will be terrible... but to exaggerate... if at full power the phone can only get 3 hours SOT, then no thank you. 4 hours SOT with all the power management on... I don't know.

I'm gonna say I'd expect close to 5 hours then with default settings... display at 1080 and power mgmt at "optimized." G6 reviews have over 3.5 hours to 4 SOT... and I believe they run display at full and no power management on the SD821.

I like that it has controls to change if you feel you need to conserve power... but come on... show me how the phone runs at full power and how long it lasts. sell your phones with the screen displaying what it's capable of out of box and processor running apps at what it's capable of and show me how the battery performs at its best. Then if I want to reduce to squeeze out that extra hour then so be it.

Your entire point hinges on the question of whether the naked eye can tell the difference. And many people have already said you really can't.

Why are people making up problems that don't really exist?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
But people are responding they prefer to run it at full quad even if you can't notice the difference.

The display part doesn't bother me that much... even though it just feels a little cheaty.

It's not the display part... it's the battery life and waiting on enough reviews to find out what the real battery life on these phones are.

3000 mah battery... around 20% less than last years S7 Edge... If it gets the same battery life, is it from running at 80% display and power? If it gets less than what the S7 Edge got and something like 4 hours... is it again at 80% power? And is that acceptable?

Just some thoughts until we get real reviews. It sounds like a great phone in many ways... but does it have the proper size battery that a great phone deserves?

Your entire point hinges on the question of whether the naked eye can tell the difference. And many people have already said you really can't.

Why are people making up problems that don't really exist?

djisia87

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I am onboard with you. I am not into VR yet so 1080P plus extra battery life! I will take it.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
You would have to be particularly eagle eyed to see the difference (maybe even superhuman). The only reason I'd run it at 1440 is if I'm using it enough for VR where it's annoying to keep switching back and there isn't much of a battery hit between the two.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
B3000 mah battery... around 20% less than last years S7 Edge... If it gets the same battery life, is it from running at 80% display and power? If it gets less than what the S7 Edge got and something like 4 hours... is it again at 80% power? And is that acceptable?
The S8 should be compared to the S7, not the Edge. 3000 mah is identical to the S7. The S8+ is 3500, which is a small step down from the Edge. Don't go by raw screen size, which is skewed by the 18.5:9 screen.

Ziich47

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Primarily depends on battery life. I am worried about battery life on this device esp with optimized power management and default 1080p. Ideally I would run it at 1440p but I need to be able to get 4-6 hours so on a daily basis (which is what I get currently)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac