Palm rejection

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's because they're not meant to do that. Only BT Pens and external hardware like an S-Pen can allow that and only if you effectively turn off sections of the screen via some manufacturer's Accessibility Settings.

Side touches ARE minimized (remember the Note 5's big touch patch?), but touchscreens are touchscreens.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
The curves on the sides of the S8/S8+ are just like the Note 7 which was steeper compared to the gradual edge of the S7E. In my experience the unintentional touches was greatly reduced. I am looking forward to this cause the S7E drives me crazy sometimes.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Side touches ARE minimized (remember the Note 5's big touch patch?), but touchscreens are touchscreens.

I did a test with my iPhone 6S and my Note 5. I did the exact same gestures on the Note and with the 6S and found the 6S to ignore the touch when the Note would register the touch causing an unwanted action. There is something Apple is doing to prevent unwanted touches. It makes a huge difference in the experience, I just wish Android would figure it out.

I'll give you an example, on the Note I can grab the phone and my palm will select an icon and actually drag it to another screen. I literally can just pick up the phone with the screen on and select something. I can not replicate this on the iPhone. There definitely is something deliberate Apple is doing to prevent this type of unintended touch.

jonty12

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I agree with this. This is my biggest S7E frustration. Something is different with what Apple's doing. Not enough to get an iPhone, but worth investigating.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Palm rejection on the S8 and S8 plus is phenomenally excellent. I've never seen an Android phone have such good Palm rejection

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I did a test with my iPhone 6S and my Note 5. I did the exact same gestures on the Note and with the 6S and found the 6S to ignore the touch when the Note would register the touch causing an unwanted action. There is something Apple is doing to prevent unwanted touches. It makes a huge difference in the experience, I just wish Android would figure it out.

I'll give you an example, on the Note I can grab the phone and my palm will select an icon and actually drag it to another screen. I literally can just pick up the phone with the screen on and select something. I can not replicate this on the iPhone. There definitely is something deliberate Apple is doing to prevent this type of unintended touch.
The side bezels on the iPhone are slightly wider than the Note.

They may have helped a bit.

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
It just depends on your hand ergonomics and if you can adjust. I had a few errant touches initially w the Se7 but adjusted very quickly and almost never have one now. I think it is hard to predict but larger hands would intuitively be easier grabbing around the edges. However, a friend w hands larger than mine had constant problems and threw in the towel. Ymmv.

Mahesh Abnave

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site