04-03-2017 05:59 PM
41 12
tools
    On the N7 facial wasn't very good , finger print however was great , my Dell laptop has facial and it's super easy not sure how secure ?!
    The N7 didn't have facial recognition - just IRIS scanning. I understand the the IRIS scanning on the S8/S8+ is faster. I hope that is the case.
    ol_jackburton likes this.
    04-01-2017 11:48 PM
    I use the phone on a table or in my car on a charger a lot, so not looking forward to the FPS on the back. The Iris and face lock might be ok but that won't work in the dark or when not pointed at you correctly, as is often the case when on its back.
    If you have bluetooth in your car you can set it to smart unlock when connected... That way you don't have to worry in the car.
    04-02-2017 12:31 AM
    If you have bluetooth in your car you can set it to smart unlock when connected... That way you don't have to worry in the car.
    I do set it that way already, however sometimes it takes 10 or more seconds before it connects.
    04-02-2017 12:34 AM
    I'm just wondering if this could be a non-starter for some. I know there is an iris scanner, but I think in day to day usage a fingerprint scanner in a practical spot is better.

I really want to get the S8+ but that makes me worried that a simple basic feature like unlocking might be more painful than it needs to be...i mean it's a big device. I currently have a Galaxy S7 Edge, and it's a great phone, so I'm wondering if this is a downgrade in a sense since apparently the under the screen fingerprint sensor was not ready.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are?
    Great question, I would say, if you are happy with your Galaxy S7 Edge, then keep it and get the S9 when it comes out. From reviews i have watched it seems like the camera is pretty much identical. It might have a different sensor but the results are on par. Both are also able to run Nougat 7.0.

Personally for me. If I purchased the Galaxy S8 or S8+ i would simply just pretend the fingerprint sensor does not exist and use a PIN password or use the iris scanner to log in. The feature isn't that important to me. My hands are fairly small so it wouldn't be very convent or easy, unless I'm using 2 hands to unlock it.
    04-02-2017 06:08 AM
    I'm not fond of the fingerprint scanner on the back. I think it will be particularly difficult to use once the phone is in a case. I will wait to see what the Note 8 looks like. Unfortunately, it's likely the new Note will look very much like the S8.
    04-02-2017 10:32 AM
    A good case if like Mate 9 is no trouble with recessed soft slot.
    04-02-2017 11:28 AM
    Might be a pain for things like Samsung Pay and unlocking Apps with your fingerprint.
    This is a big issue for me because I use Samsung Pay every time I purchase something. I also have a Spigen car dock which I love but now to unlock the phone I will need to take it off the dock first. The way the dock sits on my dash will make it too difficult to use the IRIS scanner correctly.

In case you're wondering no I don't text and drive but using Google Maps, music, etc will be a headache when the screen locks. I guess my best bet for the car will be to increase the screen lock timeout.

I hope when the Note 8 comes out they will have the fingerprint sensor embedded under the home screen glass. I think using a fingerprint sensor on the front is better than the back because of car docks, people who are left handed, using the phone while it's laying down, etc.
    04-02-2017 11:55 AM
    This is a big issue for me because I use Samsung Pay every time I purchase something. I also have a Spigen car dock which I love but now to unlock the phone I will need to take it off the dock first. The way the dock sits on my dash will make it too difficult to use the IRIS scanner correctly.

In case you're wondering no I don't text and drive but using Google Maps, music, etc will be a headache when the screen locks. I guess my best bet for the car will be to increase the screen lock timeout.

I hope when the Note 8 comes out they will have the fingerprint sensor embedded under the home screen glass. I think using a fingerprint sensor on the front is better than the back because of car docks, people who are left handed, using the phone while it's laying down, etc.
    Obviously not ideal, but if your car has Bluetooth you can set it up as a Smart Lock or whatever they call it. That way while the phone is connected to the car blue tooth it does not lock
    ClintRo likes this.
    04-02-2017 04:19 PM
    If your car has Bluetooth, you can use Smartlock to keep your phone unlocked while you're in the car. It would then automatically unlock while it's connected to your car, and re-lock when you've existed the car and are out of Bluetooth range.
    04-02-2017 10:59 PM
    Is smart lock on the phone or an app to download?
    04-03-2017 07:43 AM
    It is on the phone

Search in settings and you will find it.
    04-03-2017 08:26 AM
    Thanks, good to hear. I use my phone in my car on Bluetooth all the time.
    04-03-2017 09:03 AM
    it's not that bad to be honest on the smaller s8. This video kind of show it.
    04-03-2017 09:43 AM
    I never use the fingerprint thingy anyway so the scanner being on the back is no big deal for me. I'm excited to have the iris scanner back though. That was awesome on the note 7.
    04-03-2017 10:05 AM
    If they don't put the FPS under the screen on the note 8, likely not ready for prime time, I guarantee they re-position it on the back. Adding it to the S8 was an after thought.
    04-03-2017 04:41 PM
    Another solution is set google assistant to work with unlock screen. It is part of the trusted voice, I know this works for 7 edge, I have it set up that way. All I need to do is just say Ok Goolge at the lock screen say play such and such or navigate to etc... it works fine.
    04-03-2017 05:59 PM
41 12