04-03-2017 05:59 PM
41 12
tools
    I'm just wondering if this could be a non-starter for some. I know there is an iris scanner, but I think in day to day usage a fingerprint scanner in a practical spot is better.

I really want to get the S8+ but that makes me worried that a simple basic feature like unlocking might be more painful than it needs to be...i mean it's a big device. I currently have a Galaxy S7 Edge, and it's a great phone, so I'm wondering if this is a downgrade in a sense since apparently the under the screen fingerprint sensor was not ready.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are?
    03-31-2017 10:19 AM
    Just pair it to your smart watch... problem solved...LOL

No Seriously, I magine once you get used to it it wont be that bad, unless someone has really tiny hands.
    Mr_Spencer likes this.
    03-31-2017 10:21 AM
    Honestly i'll probably try out the iris scanner / face scanner first and see how that works.

I just saw the article today that lets you use the finger print scanner as a swipe ability to drop down the notification bar which is cool.

I have the finger print scanner set up on my S7E but i don't use it. I feel like i have to turn my fingers weird every time to use it (perhaps i just set up my print wrong). If i do use it to unlock my phone on the S8+, at least my finger will lay in a natural position. Also there's always the pattern/pin combo if i just don't feel like picking up my phone.
    03-31-2017 10:24 AM
    I'll probably use either the Iris or Face Scanner since the FPS is ridiculously too high for me to reach so the placement of the FPS is no big deal.

I can already see my little ones trying to unlock my phone if I'm asleep so they can play games or watch their YouTube haaaa !!!!
    03-31-2017 10:28 AM
    Bad placement I use the FS to open many apps and it's just easier on the face bottom
    03-31-2017 10:39 AM
    Two phones I own have it. DTEK60 not so reliable and slow. But Huawei Mate 9 is fast reliable a breeze to use. If it's as good, and should, you'll love it.

And any finger can be used for there functions like snap photo or video.

Some see snakes where there are none. Shadows in dark. Even easier than on front
    03-31-2017 10:45 AM
    On the the Google Pixel phone, the fingerprint scanner is on the back as well where the Apple logo of an iPhone would be. I personally like this as it would make opening your phone potentially easier so you don't need to stretch you thumb to the bottom (depending how you hold you phone). With the scanner near the the top/middle of the phone, you can use your index finger to unlock the phone with ease
    03-31-2017 10:56 AM
    Definitely an odd placement and i think will be a bit of an annoyance in a day to day basis having to down the camera all the time but maybe you'll get used to it. Also send quite high up which may impact people with small fingers.
    03-31-2017 11:10 AM
    My biggest problem with the FPS on the back is that I like to keep my phone on a Tilt charger at work and it is easy to unlock with the front facing FPS... but that will only be an issue if I forget my watch as I use smart lock so as long as my watch is on my wrist my phone doesn't lock.
    03-31-2017 11:52 AM
    I honestly don't see it as that big a deal since you have other options like the iris scanner and face scanning.

I think the location is terrible and I wish Samsung would have done something similar to how LG has theirs and put it below the camera but I don't plan on using it so it won't bother me.
    03-31-2017 12:07 PM
    Just tried the display unit. I can get use to the placement of the scanner. Muscle memory will kick in quickly.
    03-31-2017 12:15 PM
    It is just harder to unlock when the phone is face up on a flat surface. Kinda awkward to use face or iris there. But it is what it is if you don't like it.... Don't buy it right? 😆
    BergerKing and sweetypie31 like this.
    03-31-2017 12:17 PM
    I thought the location would be a big deal and it isn't for me. With my iPhone 7+ I can hold it and type with one hand while also reaching near the top with my index about half way distance of the camera lens. With the S8+ being more narrow it actually makes reach up higher easier. I will admit that while I can reach it with no problem, it is a little awkward with the left hand just because your fingers are naturally pointing towards the right when holding the phone so you have to bring your finger back to the left with is a little uncomfortable. So while reachable with the left, it's more awkward. But all in all, it's not a deal breaker for me as I thought it would. I would suggest anyone go to their local Best Buy that has a Samsung section and try it out.
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-31-2017 12:27 PM
    i thought I would hate the location but after trying it at Best Buy it seems like no big deal
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-31-2017 01:37 PM
    OT but seems you can just use a good photograph to trick the facial recognition to accept it as you and unlock the S8. CNBC report.
    03-31-2017 02:25 PM
    The FPS will be fixed on the s9+. lol huge mistake by sammy. imho!
    03-31-2017 02:52 PM
    OT but seems you can just use a good photograph to trick the facial recognition to accept it as you and unlock the S8. CNBC report.
    On the N7 facial wasn't very good , finger print however was great , my Dell laptop has facial and it's super easy not sure how secure ?!
    03-31-2017 03:03 PM
    I suspect yes, the next model will always have improved _____.
    The S6 wasn't as good with wireless charging or fingerprint recognition.
    Same for iPhone 5S compared to 6S ONCE IT GOT 10.x Seems iOS 9.x was... clumsy?

Android 8.1 (?) could plug that facial recognition too for now, or push it into 7.2 (if it isn't in beta now)
    03-31-2017 04:49 PM
    I have the Pixel and really like it on the back.
    03-31-2017 04:53 PM
    I was at Bestbuy last night and was able to press it fine. I didn't find it cumbersome as I thought I would strangely enough.
    BergerKing likes this.
    04-01-2017 07:13 AM
    Might be a pain for things like Samsung Pay and unlocking Apps with your fingerprint.
    04-01-2017 07:17 AM
    I like it on the back better. When holding your phone it is easier to use your finger on the back.
    04-01-2017 08:06 AM
    Ten times better, easier. Becomes automatic to hold phone in one hand and slide finger up.
    Beware of shell cases that interfere and not friendly. Went through two before finding one for Huawei.
    BergerKing likes this.
    04-01-2017 08:21 AM
    Might be a pain for things like Samsung Pay and unlocking Apps with your fingerprint.
    This. I'm not worried about unlocking the phone. It's the other apps that I care about.
    04-01-2017 09:51 AM
    I use the phone on a table or in my car on a charger a lot, so not looking forward to the FPS on the back. The Iris and face lock might be ok but that won't work in the dark or when not pointed at you correctly, as is often the case when on its back.
    04-01-2017 11:32 PM
41 12