04-20-2017 12:14 AM
78 123 ...
tools
    1st fail,,, I hate curved edge displays, that's thee reason I traded my S7 Edge for the regular S7.
    2nd fail,,, fingerprint sensor location on the back right next to the camera lens and at the top portion of the phone.
    3rd fail,,, no improvements to the camera or at least none mentioned.
    4rth fail,,, odd phone shape (too tall).
    5th fail,,, 21x9 screen ratio with black side bars when watching 16x9 content.
    6th fail,,, no stereo speakers (correct ?)
    7th fail,,, all glass phones do scare me for drops.
    S 8th fail,,, the ability to protect the S8 with a case.

Ok,,, my personal opinions of course, but I was really interested in the S8 until after the all hype keynote.

I'm currently rocking an iPhone 7 Plus (I hate the bezels and the big size screen to footprint ratio, but still love the iPhone 7 Plus in spite of those drawbacks)

So now I'm just waiting for the September iPhone keynote or a suprise announcement of a new Note 8.

Cheers
    Davyo
    03-31-2017 10:27 AM
    You should just stick with the iPhone then. The Note 8 will probably disappoint you.
    03-31-2017 10:29 AM
    Curious to understand more as most of the reasons you have mentioned is due to not using the phone yet, may be except the curved part.

Every manufacturer has their uniqueness and Samsung has been the leader in displays and curved screens. It will be interesting to see how iPhone tackles the bezel-less era.
    03-31-2017 10:32 AM
    The S7 didn't have stereo speakers, the S7 would also playback with bars on the screen, so...You are just complaining to complain. ๐Ÿ‘†๐Ÿ‘†๐Ÿ‘† like he said.. go to an iPhone.
    stackberry369, bkeaver and jamezr like this.
    03-31-2017 10:32 AM
    I didn't see a need to make a post about this
    But your last 2 reasons kind of contradict each other...why can't you protect it with a case?
    Ninjarette likes this.
    03-31-2017 10:41 AM
    I didn't see a need to make a post about this
    But your last 2 reasons kind of contradict each other...why can't you protect it with a case?
    I think most people assume that since the screen now wraps around the sides, you can't cover them with a case, or that the case would provide minimal protection. This is somewhat true, but the S7 Edge has plenty of cases available and they protect the sides from a direct side impact. But it's also true that the curved part of the glass is now exposed.
    03-31-2017 11:10 AM
    I have an iPhone 6S Plus, and love it. However I also really love this phone and am looking to switch to it. Here are my reasons.

1. I love the sharpness of the curved edges. It really catches the eye and stands out from other phones.
    2. I rather enjoy the new fingerprint scanner being at the top near the camera because it would allow me to open my phone easier. From the way I hold my phone I usually have to stretch my thumb to reach it a tiny bit, but my index finger would get to this scanner with ease.
    3. Although I don't think improvements to the camera, I don't take too many pictures anyway and it's just as good as the camera on the phone I have now. So this doesn't affect my decision much.
    4. I enjoy having a bigger phone as I'm used to it. I looked back on my iPhone 5, and I can hardly use the keyboard because it's too small to me now. The 5.6" (I think) display would be perfect for me.
    5. I didn't actually think about their aspect ratio when watching 16:9 but there might be a way around it. If not, this is indeed a fail. I'll give you that one.
    6. It actually does have stereo speakers from what I've read so that's pretty alright I guess
    7. Glass phones are often something I turn away from, but seeing it with this phone... I just like the way it looks haha.
    S8. I agree that protecting the this phone with a case would be problematic. At least the screen. Since the screen goes edge to edge, a case to protect the screen would need to cover a bit of the edges. However I've never dropped my phone by accident so this would not be a huge problem for me.
    9. (Bonus) This thing has way more features than any iPhone.

Of course, this is just my personal opinion and I'm not trying to say that your opinion is a **** one. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I am too waiting for the iPhone keynote because I'd like to see the iPhone 8 to truly compare which is better.

Sorry for such a long response!
    jma78b likes this.
    03-31-2017 11:11 AM
    I think most people assume that since the screen now wraps around the sides, you can't cover them with a case, or that the case would provide minimal protection. This is somewhat true, but the S7 Edge has plenty of cases available and they protect the sides from a direct side impact. But it's also true that the curved part of the glass is now exposed.
    I don't really buy it... The lips on a good case will protect the edges... I have the S7 Edge and the screen doesn't even touch the table if I put it face down... I'm sure case manufacturers know what they are doing to protect the phone
    03-31-2017 11:12 AM
    1st fail,,, I hate curved edge displays, that's thee reason I traded my S7 Edge for the regular S7.
    Then perhaps this isn't the phone for you.

2nd fail,,, fingerprint sensor location on the back right next to the camera lens and at the top portion of the phone.
    Yea, doesn't seem like an ideal place

They said the improved the processing aspect of the camera

Again, maybe this isn't the phone for you.

I don't watch enough videos to really care about that. I do a lot more looking at text where the extra screen size is useful

No. But how much stereo can you get from speakers that are an inch apart?

Me too. That's why they make cases.

I have no clue what you're saying here.
    Ninjarette and jma78b like this.
    03-31-2017 11:36 AM
    i have already seem one comparison of the camera, complete with pictures and video to
    the s7--sorry, it was on youtube and I didn't make a note of title or anything but mostly what I've read indicate considerable upgrades in the software and processing which can have a big effect on the results. And if the edges are like Note 7's they were way less pronounced than on the 7 edge and the folio case I had for it did a pretty good job of covering the edges. I would defer judgment until you interact with one in a store or if you know someone who gets one. Unless of course you just posted to tell everyone how much you prefer Apple, which is your right, but kind of boring in a Samsung forum. Personally, I am waiting for the Note 8. The 8+ looks pretty good, but I want the spen.
    jimd1050 and Mr_Spencer like this.
    03-31-2017 11:40 AM
    I agree I have always been an Samsung fan but I will skip the galaxy 8 not as much as an upgrade as I would think sure it's has an 835 but that's not going to make that much if an diffence, the design is not much different then S7 and they should of put stereo speakers it dose make an difference, I am using the mate 9 and happy but Will also get the g6 over the s8
    03-31-2017 11:43 AM
    The curves on the S7 Edge suck! The curves on the Note 7 were designed much better! The S8 curves are subtle like on the Note 7.

If you always hold your phone with your left hand, many people do, your pointed finger will rest on the location of the fingerprint sensor unless you have small hands. If a person has small hands then it would be a problem, but that's why there's iris unlocking or face recognition unlocking or Smart Lock, which is great for trusted locations or devices.

They said there are software improvements. The camera on the S7 is considered one of the best, so it's not really a problem that it's almost the same on the S8.

S8 Plus is about the same height as an iPhone 7 Plus and the fingerprint sensor has gestures for opening the notifications menu.

You may be right on this one!

No mention of stereo speakers so I doubt it has it.

Most damaged phones I see are iPhones, which aren't all glass. They either have a cracked screen, dents, scratches, or all of the above.

Spigen is already selling cases for the phones on Amazon for $11 or $12. I currently have a Spigen case on the S7 Edge and I've dropped it a few times on tile and ti's fine.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    03-31-2017 11:55 AM
    Why the G6? Does it have stereo speakers ? And I would think the S8 and the G6 are pretty close with the S8 having a little better processor
    03-31-2017 01:27 PM
    sounds like someone cant upgrade or cant afford the device and is making excuses on why it sucks to make himself feel better about not being able to get it
    20blks, DEman19901 and fsfty like this.
    03-31-2017 02:01 PM
    What does Netflix HD movie look like? Full screen or bars?
    03-31-2017 08:28 PM
    03-31-2017 09:49 PM
    That's why Iam buying LG G6 ..flat screen and dual camera... Fly like a G6
    03-31-2017 11:43 PM
    That's why Iam buying LG G6 ..flat screen and dual camera... Fly like a G6
    Flying with last year's processor...
    hail2030 and bkeaver like this.
    04-01-2017 07:49 AM
    "Last year's processor" isn't a big deal. Only offering 32GB internal storage is however a bit 2016.
    hail2030 and mrcrusha829 like this.
    04-01-2017 07:58 AM
    Flying with last year's processor...
    The 821 is a perfectly fine chip but I sent my G6 back because the camera is stuck in 2015.
    04-01-2017 08:50 AM
    As the OP of this thread I can definitely say I'm not trolling,,,, if anyone thinks that, check my posting here and on iMore.
    I use, own and buy both Samsung and Apple phones and love both platforms for different reasons.
    I've owned every model iPhone ever made and every model Galaxy and Note ever made, except the Note 7.
    As to the person that commented that I might not be able to afford and S8 and that's why I'm criticizing the S8 nothing could be farther from that, I'm on a business plan with T-Mobile and my Jump Program I'm grandfathered into allows me to switch phones whenever I want for very little money.
    These phone forums are made for the purpose of the discussion of products, but if I offer an opinion that goes against the fanboys of one platform over another I'm accused of trolling,,, I've never understood that thought process.
    My apologies for posting anything negative about a Samsung product in the Samsung forum,,, what was I thinking.
    Ohh,,, and for anyone that takes the time to check my postings in the iMore forum you will easily find negative comments by me about iPhones.
    I have postings of negative and positive comments about Samsung's and iPhones on both forums,,, so check it out before writing me off as a troll.
    But no worries,,, I post less and less on either forums these days as I find very few people wish to have a discussion about opinions,, everyone is just more interested in defending the product they own and are blindly faithful too.
    Since I love both Android and iOS my opinions are not biased.
    Ok,,, my rant is done.
    Cheers
    Davyo
    Bertolus and recDNA like this.
    04-01-2017 09:30 AM
    well then you should stick with the iphone because the note 8 will be the same screen ratio as the s8
    04-01-2017 09:30 AM
    Some I agree. Im not a fan of the fingerprint sensor placement, and I wish they did something about the muffled mono sound that the S7 has, but they didn't. I see some people complain about the screen height and aspect ratio, but to this I figure the upside is more screen visible when the keyboard is up and blocking much of it. Like others, I want to see what happens with battery life. I'm afraid they went too small. People keep trying to make excuses like Samsung didn't want to take any more risk of squeezing in a larger battery, but to me that's just dumb. You don't have to "squeeze it in" - just make the phone a hair thicker. No one I know cares if the phone is a tiny fraction thicker for a better battery.
    04-01-2017 10:02 AM
    "Last year's processor" isn't a big deal. Only offering 32GB internal storage is however a bit 2016.
    821 is a very capable processor that's shows on the pixel.. And 835 still not tested... And in. India I will. Get 64gb with hi-fi dac happy with G6..if not happy will sell and buy s8 or s8+ no bill deal... But I wanted flat screen and dual camera
    recDNA likes this.
    04-01-2017 10:59 AM

If you always hold your phone with your left hand, many people do, your pointed finger will rest on the location of the fingerprint sensor unless you have small hands. If a person has small hands then it would be a problem, but that's why there's iris unlocking or face recognition unlocking or Smart Lock, which is great for trusted locations or devices.
    From going and holding it yesterday, the FPS is on the wrong side for holding it left handed. You really have to contort your index finger over to reach it. It's on the same side as your thumb as you hold it.
    04-01-2017 12:30 PM
78 123 ...