04-03-2017 11:20 AM
40 12
tools
    I went and played with the 8 and 8+ at Best Buy today. The plus really doesn't seem that much larger. Maybe I'll talk myself into that one. One of the things that seemed odd though is that I really had to contort my index finger to get to the scanner. Being right handed and holding the phone with my left hand my index finger just naturally lies across the back of the phone easily reaching the spot where the camera flash is. It seems like it would have made more sense to put the FPS over there. Thankfully I usually have the phone set to smart unlock so its not usually locked when its on or near me so it won't be a huge deal at least.
    03-31-2017 03:15 PM
    I'd assume most people who are right handed (and the majority of people are right handed) pick the phone up with their right hand. This makes the FP sensor on the more natural side as chosen by Samsung.
    philly likes this.
    03-31-2017 03:19 PM
    I'm with you 100%. I'm right handed and have always held the phone with my left hand.
    jimd1050, Titan206 and LeoRex like this.
    03-31-2017 03:21 PM
    I'm more surprised with the fact they'd put it beside the camera. That's what doesn't make sense to me. Just smudge after smudge I'd think. If I decide to pick it up I'm thinking I'll be using the iris unlock
    jimd1050 likes this.
    03-31-2017 03:24 PM
    I think the majority of people who are right handed hold their phone in their right hand. If you just watch people walking around with their phones, that's usually which hand it is in. I'm sure Samsung has research on this and put it where it would benefit the most people. Sucks for people who hold it in their right hand though.
    03-31-2017 03:27 PM
    Maybe I'm odd man out. I always hold the phone with my left hand and control it with my right index finger. I agree though that it should have been below the camera. or put the camera up in the corner of the phone.
    jimd1050 and Gayle Lynn like this.
    03-31-2017 03:29 PM
    I went and played with the 8 and 8+ at Best Buy today. The plus really doesn't seem that much larger. Maybe I'll talk myself into that one. One of the things that seemed odd though is that I really had to contort my index finger to get to the scanner. Being right handed and holding the phone with my left hand my index finger just naturally lies across the back of the phone easily reaching the spot where the camera flash is. It seems like it would have made more sense to put the FPS over there. Thankfully I usually have the phone set to smart unlock so its not usually locked when its on or near me so it won't be a huge deal at least.
    May want to utilize iris scanner then. Ill check both methods out when I get my S8
    jimd1050 likes this.
    03-31-2017 03:44 PM
    Maybe I'm odd man out. I always hold the phone with my left hand and control it with my right index finger. I agree though that it should have been below the camera. or put the camera up in the corner of the phone.
    You don't ever use your phone one handed?

Hopefully this phone is like the pixel and allows multiple fingers to be scanned. I had my pixel set up so that almost all my fingers could unlock it.
    03-31-2017 03:59 PM
    Yes. Should be in the middle so distance is the same left or right handed as well as ease of reach. Not a deal breaker but definitely the wrong spot.
    MRS DIVA likes this.
    03-31-2017 04:14 PM
    You don't ever use your phone one handed?

Hopefully this phone is like the pixel and allows multiple fingers to be scanned. I had my pixel set up so that almost all my fingers could unlock it.
    Almost never one handed unless I have to.
    03-31-2017 04:45 PM
    In my opinion the fingerprint reader is the only thing that I don't like about the S8. It is extremely awkward to use. In fact even more so than I had anticipated before I held it in my hand. I am a frequent user of Samsung pay and I don't really want to have to utilize any sort of fingerprint reader on the back of the phone and especially the one on the S8
    03-31-2017 05:39 PM
    Almost never one handed unless I have to.
    I'm with you. I'm a two-handed user (hold phone with left hand and use the right index finger for touches). So for me, the location of the fingerprint scanner is fine (though better if it's directly below the camera as stated many times).
    jimd1050 and t11rmh like this.
    03-31-2017 09:29 PM
    I agree and I've thought of this as well. I'm right handed and I hold my phone in my left. Thought the sensor should switched with the flash
    jimd1050 likes this.
    03-31-2017 09:56 PM
    I'm with you. I'm a two-handed user (hold phone with left hand and use the right index finger for touches). So for me, the location of the fingerprint scanner is fine (though better if it's directly below the camera as stated many times).
    Have you held the phone? You really have to contort your left index finger over to reach it as it is on the left back of the phone. Not natural at all.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    03-31-2017 10:08 PM
    Right handed here, and have always used the phone primarily with left hand when I'm using it one handed. Feels downright odd for me if I hold and use it with right hand
    03-31-2017 11:23 PM
    I'm with you 'Snareman', but now that I think about it, there are two different types of phone users - I see a lot of folks that hold AND control with the SAME hand (which I don't - 67 year old arthritic hands)! So those right-handers WOULD benefit from the new placement. We don't because we hold the phone in our left and control with our right, which, BTW, is the way most everyone I know uses their phone too!
    04-01-2017 12:06 PM
    For the short time that I had my (2) Note 7s, I used the Iris Scanner instead of the fingerprint and loved it! That's the way I would go with this for sure based on this new placement!
    04-01-2017 12:11 PM
    Went into Best Buy today and played with both. The S8+? People have a point, it's very awkward.

To those folks getting the S8...it's really not that bad at all. In fact, I rather liked where it's positioned and had no issues reaching it.
    04-01-2017 03:28 PM
    For the short time that I had my (2) Note 7s, I used the Iris Scanner instead of the fingerprint and loved it! That's the way I would go with this for sure based on this new placement!
    I don't think that's an option for Samsung pay, is it? maybe I'm wrong
    jimd1050 likes this.
    04-01-2017 07:09 PM
    really bad place for the FP sensor and i think this is the only bad thing about this amazing smart phone
    04-01-2017 08:20 PM
    It kind of makes you wonder how half of the design team didn't profess that it was a bad idea.
    04-01-2017 08:21 PM
    It kind of makes you wonder how half of the design team didn't profess that it was a bad idea.
    You realize it was essentially a last minute decision right? They were hoping the embedded FPS tech would be ready.
    04-01-2017 08:35 PM
    You realize it was essentially a last minute decision right? They were hoping the embedded FPS tech would be ready.
    But surely they had at least some say where it went didn't they? Perhaps somewhere besides the worst spot on the phone?
    04-01-2017 09:22 PM
    04-01-2017 10:00 PM
    But surely they had at least some say where it went didn't they? Perhaps somewhere besides the worst spot on the phone?
    Read the article posted above.
    04-01-2017 10:15 PM
40 12