T-Mobile Pre-Order Question and Comment Thread

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry if this has already been addressed but are people actually complaining about the $130 as if that's T-Mobile trying to get one over? Because if that's the case, it seems a bit silly.

I am confident that T-Mobile is trying to keep the phone payment to $30 or less. In order to do that with an $850 phone and 24 payments, you have to reduce the amount borrowed by $130. Sure, I bet they feel better getting that money up front as an equity payment given what has to be a substantial amount of bad debt but it's hardly unexpected. I'd rather have that anyway than a $36 monthly payment although as an interest free loan, I can see how people might choose otherwise.

So when the N8 comes out at $925, expect a down payment of $200 or $205.

And if you don't like it, blame Samsung for the price of the phone or yourself for wanting all the bells and whistles.
You have clearly been sipping to much Legere Sunday Slow Cooker Kool aid.

JoD was launched as a "walk out the door without paying a penny for your new smartphone" up to 3 times a year plan. They tried to do the down payment thing on the Note 7 and the backlash was immense so they relented and stopped requiring the down payment after 2 days.

Now they are back at their antics again. There's still backlash but the difference this time is the reps are able to persuade people to the S8 with no down payment. With the Note 7 there was no other similar option.

If the $6/month difference in monthly price between a down payment and no down payment has any effect at all on your monthly budget, people have no business buying a $850 phone.

For people that use JoD like it was intended, a down payment of $130 for someone who switches phones even every 6 months, raises the monthly cost to lease the device to about $51/month.

JoD isn't profitable for T-Mobile, I'm sure. But Legere spends a good portion of his day on social media ranting about how the other carriers go back on their promos, stick you with hidden fees, etc. So now he's changing JoD, which is going back on his word, which is exactly the thing he rails on the other carriers about. That makes him a hypocrite right now.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry if this has already been addressed but are people actually complaining about the $130 as if that's T-Mobile trying to get one over? Because if that's the case, it seems a bit silly.

I am confident that T-Mobile is trying to keep the phone payment to $30 or less. In order to do that with an $850 phone and 24 payments, you have to reduce the amount borrowed by $130. Sure, I bet they feel better getting that money up front as an equity payment given what has to be a substantial amount of bad debt but it's hardly unexpected. I'd rather have that anyway than a $36 monthly payment although as an interest free loan, I can see how people might choose otherwise.

So when the N8 comes out at $925, expect a down payment of $200 or $205.

And if you don't like it, blame Samsung for the price of the phone or yourself for wanting all the bells and whistles.

Wow! T-Mobile IS trying to get a cash grab. It's obvious, not silly. If they were doing the customers any favors, the down payment would be an option, not a requirement. They word it like they are doing you a favor. If people are angry over this, what does that tell you? No favors to the customers.
JOD should not be considered a loan. It's a rental program. If you want to keep it for 18-24 months, then JOD is not for you. If you'd rather pay $56 per month for the 6 month ownership of your phone, that's your choice. At least it's a choice, though.
From my perspective, for whatever reason, they want to keep both the S8 and S8+ at $30 per month. Obviously, they will sell a lot more S8's because of this. I also don't think $30 per month is their ceiling.
When the Note8 comes out, I think $35 will be their limit and they will require a down payment for the rest.
So, for $900, it would be $60 down and $35 per month.
Of course, that's assuming JOD is still around and they haven't killed it off yet.
If anyone is dumb enough to put $200 or more down on a JOD, shame on them. I don't think even T-Mobile has the nerve to make those terms.
Basically, they are slowing killing off JOD by changing the terms to be ridiculous to accept.
This reminds me of how Verizon got people off of their upgrade programs and pushed them to 2-year equipment purchase loans on paying for phones outright.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
You have clearly been sipping to much Legere Sunday Slow Cooker Kool aid.

JoD was launched as a "walk out the door without paying a penny for your new smartphone" up to 3 times a year plan. They tried to do the down payment thing on the Note 7 and the backlash was immense so they relented and stopped requiring the down payment after 2 days.

Now they are back at their antics again. There's still backlash but the difference this time is the reps are able to persuade people to the S8 with no down payment. With the Note 7 there was no other similar option.

If the $6/month difference in monthly price between a down payment and no down payment has any effect at all on your monthly budget, people have no business buying a $850 phone.

For people that use JoD like it was intended, a down payment of $130 for someone who switches phones even every 6 months, raises the monthly cost to lease the device to about $51/month.

JoD isn't profitable for T-Mobile, I'm sure. But Legere spends a good portion of his day on social media ranting about how the other carriers go back on their promos, stick you with hidden fees, etc. So now he's changing JoD, which is going back on his word, which is exactly the thing he rails on the other carriers about. That makes him a hypocrite right now.

If everybody could see this, there would be more backlash. T-Mobile has basically turned into their competition.

BIG CAT 7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I ordered the S8+ Samsung and Samsung has already charged my card. My T-Mo order is still pending.

I as well ordered my T-Mobile S8 plus from Samsung and my account has already been charged and cleared. Says "Preparing for shipment". Not sure how much longer it will say that but I check everyday to see if it has changed. I ordered the first day pre-orders went live also.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I as well ordered my T-Mobile S8 plus from Samsung and my account has already been charged and cleared. Says "Preparing for shipment". Not sure how much longer it will say that but I check everyday to see if it has changed. I ordered the first day pre-orders went live also.

So you order directly from Samsung? They might process the charging of the account different than TMO does. TMO doesn't charge unless a shipping label ahs been created and it is getting ready to ship it out. Not sure how Samsung handles this or how soon it will actually ship for them though....

BIG CAT 7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
So you order directly from Samsung? They might process the charging of the account different than TMO does. TMO doesn't charge unless a shipping label ahs been created and it is getting ready to ship it out. Not sure how Samsung handles this or how soon it will actually ship for them though....

Yes. I went through a huge mess trying to pre-order through T-Mobile online and even after being on the phone numerous times and trying to pre-order 6 times my orders kept getting canceled. So I went onto Samsung's site and just purchased it outright.

For some reason it would not let me submit the order online for TMO. They had the order in the system but never sent me an EIP email to sign after I signed the original one on their site. After dealing with all that I was fed up and just went to Samsung and bought it. At least I know I have it coming now and I also should get the freebies when the phone arrives and not have to worry about the hassle of submitting the information and waiting for however long to receive them.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

It will likely say that for a couple more weeks until they ship them. Like my promotions for example the the micro SD and watch it said that right away and stayed that way for the next few weeks until I got the email saying it was shipping.

BIG CAT 7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
It will likely say that for a couple more weeks until they ship them. Like my promotions for example the the micro SD and watch it said that right away and stayed that way for the next few weeks until I got the email saying it was shipping.

Yeah that's what I figured. At least when it arrives I will be able to enjoy the VR right away as it is supposed to ship with the phone. Never used the VR and really excited to try it out.... Oh yeah and also the phone too, ha ha...

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
They definitely were having issues I had a similar experience period i pre-ordered the S8 then decided to cancel it and the next five days of attempting to pre-order the s8plus was a real Adventure. I almost order three samsung.com as well but my current 7edge is on jod. So finally this morning I was able to successfully pre-order the s8plus and in addition to that TMobile give me a $50 credit and sent me a return label for the seven Edge so I wouldn't have to bother with the store after all this trouble.
Yes. I went through a huge mess trying to pre-order through T-Mobile online and even after being on the phone numerous times and trying to pre-order 6 times my orders kept getting canceled. So I went onto Samsung's site and just purchased it outright.

For some reason it would not let me submit the order online for TMO. They had the order in the system but never sent me an EIP email to sign after I signed the original one on their site. After dealing with all that I was fed up and just went to Samsung and bought it. At least I know I have it coming now and I also should get the freebies when the phone arrives and not have to worry about the hassle of submitting the information and waiting for however long to receive them.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I pre ordered my phone with my mom using her credit card and she checked yesterday and said it hasn't shown on her credit card yet. She used her credit card, not a bank debit card if that matters.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I also pre-ordered from Samsung, What day did you pre-order and when did you get the email?

I think you have to be signed up for S8 updates. I got a email last week to sign up for samsungs mailing list for s8 updates but never signed up for it because I didn't notice it in my junk folder until today.

Hopefully in a few days then cards are charged and tracking numbers come. I did see a couple articles last week mentioning 8 days early though.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Just got an email from Samsung saying pre order the Galaxy S8 and get the device 8 days early.

I better go have a closer look at that email.

Hello to @felloffthetruck:

If you have this email, kindly please do a screenshot to show us please.

It is seemingly defying conventional wisdom that this is happening to you only.

No disrespect whatsoever, please. Merely wishing to see some evidence.

Thank you kindly, sir/madam.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I just got an email from Samsung as well but don't see anything about getting it 8 days early. It does say get it before everyone else but their site has said that the whole time.

Edit: just says all promos added at time of order, no mention of shipping. We will see.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835