What should one buy S8 or S8+

SamsungMadness

Mar 31, 2017
Visit site
We all know samusng has launched its new flagship smartphone S8 and S8+. What should one buy.

My take anyone using either the Note 5 or S7 will prefer to go for a S8+ considering the battery apart from other new features.

S8 might not be the first choice for such people as now days battery plays a very important role considering the number of apps running on an handset.

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
For me the price gap is not justified between the two. The only differences are screen size and battery size. Yeah battery is important, but it's only a 500 mah difference which will be somewhat negated by the difference in screen size. As far as the screen size itself is concerned, 5.8 inch is not small by any stretch...So it'll be S8 for me...

thunderbomb

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The S8+ is about the same size as the S7 edge. You get more screen on the s8+ at 6.2". It's the plus for me. My s7 edge is in the middle and s8+ to the right of it. 20170330_124512.jpg

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Warm Welcome to AndroidCentral @SamsungMadness! :D

My take anyone using either the Note 5 or S7 will prefer to go for a S8+ considering the battery apart from other new features.

Agreed, Those coming from the Galaxy S7 Edge + or the Galaxy Note 7 or Note 5 will definitely opt for the bigger Galaxy S8+ :) I think this is coming a really nice selling point for the larger devices. Having a bigger battery is always a really bug plus in my books and is sometimes the deciding factor between 2 devices. I think 3,500mAh is a nice size and should last everyone the whole day.

madgalaxy

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered the S8, but after seeing the S8+ in Best Buy last night I canceled it and pre-ordered the S8+! At the reveal and subsequent hands on videos I got the impression the S8+ was going to be too tall for me. I was wrong after using it for about 15 minutes at Best Buy. If you have a Best Buy close to you I would go in and try them out.

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I waited to decide until I could get my hands on both the S8 and the S8 Plus. The Plus is only a fraction taller than my S7 Edge and the S8 is just too narrow. I imagined getting annoyed at having to scroll sideways to read every sentence on a web page. I just ordered the Plus. From all the reviews I've read, you'd think the plus was a monster device. Don't be fooled by just the screen size. The overall size of the phone is not unreasonable.

GrumpyMomofMacR

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
I pre-ordered the S8, but after seeing the S8+ in Best Buy last night I canceled it and pre-ordered the S8+! At the reveal and subsequent hands on videos I got the impression the S8+ was going to be too tall for me. I was wrong after using it for about 15 minutes at Best Buy. If you have a Best Buy close to you I would go in and try them out.
Like I responded to your similar post elsewhere I did the same thing. The S8+ is not scary huge like one of the AC articles makes it out to be. I had a Note7 and then after the recall ended up with an S7 and S7 Edge. The S8+ gives me back a bit of that immersive feeling I had lookingat the Note 7 display.

I also own an iPhone 7Plus so again, something this big is not going to be a huge stretch for me.

Lagann

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I'd say go for the regular S8 all the way. They both have the exact same processor and RAM. Just seems kinda silly to pay all that extra cash for a few extra inches.

Erick47

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
We all know samusng has launched its new flagship smartphone S8 and S8+. What should one buy.

S8 might not be the first choice for such people as now days battery plays a very important role considering the number of apps running on an handset.

I'd get the s8+ since I like the bigger screen and bigger battery. I'd also get it in black but gray would be my second choice.

Luis Angulo

Trusted Member
Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
Warm Welcome to AndroidCentral @SamsungMadness! :D

Agreed, Those coming from the Galaxy S7 Edge + or the Galaxy Note 7 or Note 5 will definitely opt for the bigger Galaxy S8+ :) I think this is coming a really nice selling point for the larger devices. Having a bigger battery is always a really bug plus in my books and is sometimes the deciding factor between 2 devices. I think 3,500mAh is a nice size and should last everyone the whole day.

Perhaps there will be little difference between the battery life of both phones... we have to wait and see how do they behave in daily conditions

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I'll buy the s8 as this is comfortable as I'm coming from using a s7 edge.

S8+ is a little too big. (Maybe. ;) )

Thst said I'm sitting on the fence until the Note 8 is launched and then pull the trigger.

The timeframe from s8 / s8+ launch and Note 8 launch will provide ample time to watch YouTube videos of unboxings and user reviews to see if any issues exist. The lemon theory.

BeyondtheTech#AC

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Went to my local Costco and they had both on display.

While it was a little hard to test how it truly felt in my hand because of those huge, clunky security clamps on them, I'm starting to think I should have preordered the S8 Plus.

They're both gorgeous to look at, but the Plus size just makes it more gorgeous. Typing on it felt a bit more comfortable. Granted, I was forced to use both hands on both devices because the retracting security cable was pulling them back pretty firmly.

Wish I had more time to test, but the wife needed my attention in the produce section and the store was just about to close. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Went to my local Costco and they had both on display.

While it was a little hard to test how it truly felt in my hand because of those huge, clunky security clamps on them, I'm starting to think I should have preordered the S8 Plus.

They're both gorgeous to look at, but the Plus size just makes it more gorgeous. Typing on it felt a bit more comfortable. Granted, I was forced to use both hands on both devices because the retracting security cable was pulling them back pretty firmly.

Wish I had more time to test, but the wife needed my attention in the produce section and the store was just about to close. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You were doing something very important like looking at the new S8, the wife can wait. LOL