Why is everyone comparing S7 edge with S8+?

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
As an S edge owner IMO the smaller S8 is the obvious replacement with the S8+ being step up with comparison in the current line and the current S7 (non-edge) not being replaced at all. However, all of the reviews I have seen compare the smaller non-edged S7 with the S8 and S7 edge with the S8+. Is this just really lazy reviewing of have they been lead by Samsung on this?

Battery life remains the biggest question mark for me and is (along with the lazy after-thought fingerprint placement) why I have not pre-ordered. Yes, comparing the S7 edge with the larger S8+ does make for a more flattering comparison, for me though the direct replacement for the edge is the smaller S8. It has a slightly larger screen and in what is pretty much the same footprint, the S8+ is another beast altogether.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Mmmm hi Neil, welcome to the forums mate! Some of the journos just wrote to meet a deadline I reckon.
The S8 looks a beast, not fond of this Nougat on my S7, hopefully they have a better version on the S8. The fingerprint thing is just plain stupid.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
My gripe precisely. I guess it's because on the S7 line you had S7 and S7 Edge, so it would make 'sense' to do S8 and S8+ in that order, but I agree with you, the S8 should be paired with the S7 Edge and the S8+ on a league of its own or compared to the ill-fated Note 7.

I, too, had a hard time finding side-by-side comparisons of the S7 Edge with the S8, as that's what I wanted to reference to.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
It looks pretty clear that the S8 will be a slight downgrade battery wise vs. the S7 edge. I understand that they needed to be cautious after the N7 but for me that is probably enough of a show stopper right there. Whilst the individual battery stats for the S7 are good I still find that in real life every day use it can drop quite quickly, it's ok but I was hoping for some improvements. The IP7+ for example is just a beast for battery life.

The finger print is I can only assume a late change due to not being able to put it in the screen. I was kind of hoping for a dual lens camera too.

This has of course all been general knowledge for weeks with all the leaks but it was a shame that there were no surprises on Wednesday.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I think they're comparing it because there's 2 sizes this year just like last year and they're comparing the big one to the big one and the small one to the small ones. I can see what you're saying though. I couldn't go with an S8 because of that small battery. I have a feeling the battery life is going to be disappointing.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I actually agree I'm hoping to see more S7E to S8 comparisons I have an S7E myself and leaning towards the regular S8

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
There is no reason we should have to carry an extra battery pack around to make up for poor battery life.

There is depending how you use your phone and time away from a socket. I have one in my bag all the time. Constant screen on time will kill any battery no matter the size.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
There is depending how you use your phone and time away from a socket. I have one in my bag all the time. Constant screen on time will kill any battery no matter the size.

Yes, that true, and I will sometimes bring a battery pack on vacation, but for normal use I'm not willing to excuse a phone for having lackluster battery life with the idea that I can make up for it with a charger. I don't want to have to carry a charger. My S7e battery has been pathetic. Nougat fixed it, but now its back to its pre-nougat suckiness. I'm hoping the 8/8+ is more reliable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon