Disable Bixby?

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
Bixby can be completely disabled.
How?

Currently there is no way to disable Bixby from spying through your camera and eavesdropping. I went to Settings --> Applications --> Bixby, and found the "DISABLE" button is grayed out. The only thing I could do was "FORCE STOP" but Bixby would restart in a few seconds.
I just went to Verizon and Best Buy to check, and sure enough, you cannot disable the Bixby app. The app itself is only 50-80 KB (I can't remember exactly) so I tried showing all system apps, and there are a few others with Bixby in the name. Can't disable those either. All of them except Bixby Vision say that they do not require any permissions, so either they really don't or Samsung has hidden them from the OS and you can't turn their permissions off. Bixby Vision had three permissions that you could toggle: Camera, Internet, and Storage.

So unless there are other "under the hood" apps that we can tweak permissions on, it looks like the core of Bixby is baked into the S8s. I hope I'm wrong, but this is starting to smell like more of a rootkit than an "assistant".

I'm not going to give up hope yet, but unless someone figures out how to turn off intercepting of SMS, phone calls, monitoring the microphone etc, I'm going to cancel my preorder.

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
All these bixby haters. Haven't even tried it yet but know all about it. Gimme a break. Samsung is just giving their buyers options. Don't like it? Don't use it!

"How Bixby gonna be useful"
Not useful to us, but useful to "them". Those who watch you through your front facing "selfie" camera and check your stress levels through the 'heart rate sensor'. Just making sure you aren't deviating from the grid and trying to escape the matrix. Think 'pre-crime".
1984+33=NOW!

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Currently there is no way to disable Bixby from spying through your camera and eavesdropping. I went to Settings --> Applications --> Bixby, and found the "DISABLE" button is grayed out. The only thing I could do was "FORCE STOP" but Bixby would restart in a few seconds. If you remap the Bixby button to launch a different app Bixby still runs in the background regardless and will launch if you swipe to the right. Also note that Bixby is running in addition to Google, so now you have 2 Assistant running. I cancelled my pre-order of S8+ and will wait to see what’s up with the Note8 later this year and if they offer the option to disable Bixby.

Great minds think alike… I am seriously considering canceling for the exact same reason. Total intrusion, yet the masses lap it up as they do Iris Scanner, Face Recognition, Fingerprint Scanner. Absolute lunacy.

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
How?

I just went to Verizon and Best Buy to check, and sure enough, you cannot disable the Bixby app. The app itself is only 50-80 KB (I can't remember exactly) so I tried showing all system apps, and there are a few others with Bixby in the name. Can't disable those either. All of them except Bixby Vision say that they do not require any permissions, so either they really don't or Samsung has hidden them from the OS and you can't turn their permissions off. Bixby Vision had three permissions that you could toggle: Camera, Internet, and Storage.

So unless there are other "under the hood" apps that we can tweak permissions on, it looks like the core of Bixby is baked into the S8s. I hope I'm wrong, but this is starting to smell like more of a rootkit than an "assistant".

I'm not going to give up hope yet, but unless someone figures out how to turn off intercepting of SMS, phone calls, monitoring the microphone etc, I'm going to cancel my preorder.

For those with eyes… now we are starting to see what they meant when they said the S8 will be different to what we used to think of as a 'smart phone'. We were lead to believe it was because of the screen and no physical home button, but they knew what they meant and they knew what they wanted us to think they meant. I am seriously considering canceling my pre-order.
I don't need some advanced monitoring of my personal photos and such. **** I need my privacy!

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Don't use it? From Samsung's own web page:

"Bixby Talks: Bixby knows your phone’s apps and how to use them."
"Bixby sees: Bixby lives inside your Camera, Gallery and Internet to give you a deeper understanding of what you’re looking at"
"Bixby learns your routine, so you’ll always have the right content ready when you need it. From your recent messages and upcoming events, to your next Uber ride and daily news—Bixby pulls the most important information from different apps"
How exactly do you not use it? Please explain…

Sounds like the early stages of the "Cyberdyne System" which we all know is responsible for creating the ultimate AI...the Terminator:)

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
For those with eyes… now we are starting to see what they meant when they said the S8 will be different to what we used to think of as a 'smart phone'. We were lead to believe it was because of the screen and no physical home button, but they knew what they meant and they knew what they wanted us to think they meant. I am seriously considering canceling my pre-order.
I don't need some advanced monitoring of my personal photos and such. **** I need my privacy!

Break out the tinfoil hat and quit taking nudes then.. like your photos and other information isn't already being monitored by Google Facebook, apps, wireless network providers and so on.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site

this phone is not for you, going forward there are going to be fewer and fewer phones for you. the world is moving in a different direction then you are.

keno101

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
It is because they are trying to beat Google at one of Google's core competencies and given their track record it is highly unlikely they will succeed. This is the same company that delivered S voice.

Why they dump which must be considerable resources into development of these kinds of things is beyond me. I won't even try this!
Plenty of features google doesn't have. I mean i see your shoes take a pic and order from Amazon without searching. See an interesting landmark want to know more take pic and info comes up all without searching google. Im thinking ill use bix a lot.

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
Not lunacy technology. The fact that you are on this site and think you can hid from being watched by "big brother" is the true lunacy. You are watched every second of everyday. Through amazon, Google, facebook, any other smart phone. To ***** about bixby you might as well ***** about facebook, you current smartphone, etc. This is the world you live in accept it enjoy it and relax.
Everybody knows (or should know) that there's nothing you can do about Big Brother and still have a normal first world existence. Google is reasonably transparent about data they collect, and you can disable Google Now if you want. Facebook is easy to avoid; it's full of insipid narcissists anyway.

As a longtime user of Samsung phones, I'm not happy if the only way to opt out of Samsung's new tracking is to not buy their phone.

HikariNoKitsune

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Why so much hate for Bixby when no one has actually tried it out in real life yet ??!!!

My theory in trying or experimenting with something new in life is ........ I'll try it at least once ....... twice just in case I did it wrong the first time wink wink !!!!!!

Give it a shot a few days after getting your new S8s ...... never know no ????

Love your comment. Not really. Assuming someone hasn't already tried it and is asking to disable it is arrogant..

On top of that,as someone who has tried it and hates it, I'd love to disable that ungodly annoying button. The FP sensor placement and this terrible dedicated button are the worst things ever. Every time I pull the phone out of my pocket it opens up Bixby. To make matters worse, even if the phone is locked it basically UNLOCKS the phone! People can see personally identifiable info about you just by hitting this oh so wonderful assistant's dedicated he'll button. I want it disabled. It needs to go away.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Why so much hate for Bixby when no one has actually tried it out in real life yet ??!!!

My theory in trying or experimenting with something new in life is ........ I'll try it at least once ....... twice just in case I did it wrong the first time wink wink !!!!!!

Give it a shot a few days after getting your new S8s ...... never know no ????

In my case, it's because Bixby is just a new (and not fully mature) clone of google assistant. Google assistant will work better. But in my case, I don't even use google assistant (or google now for that matter) so Bixby is of ZERO interest to me. I'd love to disable Bixby entirely and remap the button for something more useful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton