08-31-2018 12:04 PM
149 1234 ...
tools
    Agreed, even budget phones are having QC 3
    It's not really the case of QC3 or QC2.

It's how Samsung has not bothered to update their charging standard at all since 2014, when it was introduced on the Galaxy Note 4.

USB-C specifications require that quick charging should be accomplished by non-proprietary means. Basically, to maintain specs, USB Power Delivery needs to be used as the base. Qualcomm Quick Charge 4.0 uses Power Delivery as its base, making it compatible with USB-C specs. But QC3 and QC2 are not. They weren't even designed for USB-C in the first place.

Samsung basically hacked on a Quick Charge 2.0-based standard for use with a new port type, which has a number of implications if that turns out to be the case.
    bhatech and cinn124 like this.
    04-07-2017 02:25 AM
    I really think they are just limiting it software based because of the battery mishaps on the Note. Maybe they will continue to test and push it out as an update at a later date.
    blaine07 likes this.
    04-07-2017 08:08 AM
    I really think they are just limiting it software based because of the battery mishaps on the Note. Maybe they will continue to test and push it out as an update at a later date.
    I agree with you.
    04-07-2017 08:52 AM
    So they stuck with QC 2, instead of QC 4, when one of the features of QC 4 is that it reduces battery charging temperatures by 5 degrees C compared to QC 2/3?

Interesting strategy.
    Aquila likes this.
    04-07-2017 08:55 AM
    None of us really know what or why. I didn't know QC 4 reduced temp, still just feels like they are playing it safe.

What they need is for other manufactures to get the 835 chip and offer QC4. Competition is key, manufacturers have to be pushed otherwise innovation dies.
    04-07-2017 08:58 AM
    None of us really know what or why. I didn't know QC 4 reduced temp, still just feels like they are playing it safe.

What they need is for other manufactures to get the 835 chip and offer QC4. Competition is key, manufacturers have to be pushed otherwise innovation dies.
    Maybe it's just me, but a hotter battery does not seem like playing it safe(r).

Besides the cooler battery charging temperatures, here is a list of the other QC 4 features we won't be getting on our 2017 SD835-equipped flagship phone should it use QC 2...

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapdr...s-battery-life
    04-07-2017 09:08 AM
    I could come with the flip of a switch... or a build prop edit
    04-07-2017 09:14 AM
    Just because Qualcomm says it is cooler doesn't mean that is the case. Sammy said the New Note 7s wouldn't catch fire... but we see how that turned out.

For the most part manufactures have an idea of how QC 2.0 will work and moving to a new tech always has risks. Sammy escaped the Note 7 debacle relatively unscathed. Imagine the damage if the S8 series had the same issue.

QC 2.0 = lots of data points.

QC 4.0 = some risk.
    04-07-2017 09:18 AM
    Just because Qualcomm says it is cooler doesn't mean that is the case. Sammy said the New Note 7s wouldn't catch fire... but we see how that turned out.

For the most part manufactures have an idea of how QC 2.0 will work and moving to a new tech always has risks. Sammy escaped the Note 7 debacle relatively unscathed. Imagine the damage if the S8 series had the same issue.

QC 2.0 = lots of data points.

QC 4.0 = some risk.
    I was unaware that the Note 7 battery failures had been ascribed to charging issues. Since that Note 7 used QC 2, perhaps a roll back to QC 1, or standard-only charging is in order then.

Less risk that way.
    04-07-2017 09:27 AM

That's not even close to playing it safe, unfortunately.

Yes, it has been tried and tested, but that was on microUSB. On USB-C, it's a totally different ball-game.

USB-C is designed for use other than just power and storage. It's a multipurpose standard, designed for all types of usage and can handle varying degrees of power, whether it's small or large. USB Power Deliver should be used as the base in order to guarantee compatibility with USB-C specs as it was designed by the USB-IF and is made to work specifically for USB-C. Because other USB-C power supplies need to follow that spec for compliance, it also makes it safer should you plug in a charger/cable that is not the one supplied with the device.

Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 and especially 2.0 were not designed for USB-C in the first place. While Qualcomm states that it is compatible with USB-C, it does so in a way that violates Section 4.8.2, in which proprietary forms of modifying Vbus voltage cannot be used (basically, don't use proprietary forms of fast charging).

Samsung's QC 2.0-based AFC may be tried and tested, but when it comes to USB-C, I think that's actually a problem.
    bhatech, afh3, Aquila and 1 others like this.
    04-07-2017 09:59 AM
    Well then if they do actually leave it out, it makes no sense. They have to have a reason it is not supported, the chip and the standard support it and Sammy most like wouldn't do it just because. So either the reports that it is only QC 2.0 are wrong or there has to be a reason.

Maybe they want everyone to use wireless, but I doubt that as that method in my experience creates more heat.
    04-07-2017 10:09 AM
    Well then if they do actually leave it out, it makes no sense. They have to have a reason it is not supported, the chip and the standard support it and Sammy most like wouldn't do it just because. So either the reports that it is only QC 2.0 are wrong or there has to be a reason.

Maybe they want everyone to use wireless, but I doubt that as that method in my experience creates more heat.
    There's no good reason in my mind on why Samsung chose not to utilize Quick Charge 4.0 and subsequently updating AFC to support USB-C.

If you're going to use USB-C, at least make sure it's compatible.
    afh3 likes this.
    04-07-2017 10:13 AM
    I guess we don't have all the facts then.

That is all I am saying, there has to be some reason, they wouldn't just give someone a competitive advantage for the fun of it.
    04-07-2017 10:16 AM
    Or maybe Qualcomm has not released it commercially yet.

Source: https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapdr...s-battery-life

Does the S8/S8+ Use Qualcomm's Quick Charge 3.0 or 4.0-qc.jpg
    GrooveRite likes this.
    04-07-2017 10:20 AM
    Maybe the phone does support it, but they just didn't include a 4.0 charger to be on the safe side? I still can't find a 4.0 charger so maybe when they're available you'll be able to use one?
    04-07-2017 10:29 AM
    Or maybe Qualcomm has not released it commercially yet
    Certainly possible.

In light of the lack of information on what the phone itself can support, and in deference to the in-the-box charger's seemingly apparent QC 2 standard, the best we can hope is that when QC 4 chargers are available the phone will take advantage tag of it.
    04-07-2017 10:30 AM
    Maybe the phone does support it, but they just didn't include a 4.0 charger to be on the safe side? I still can't find a 4.0 charger so maybe when they're available you'll be able to use one?
    If the S8 supports QC 4.0, it will also support USB Power Delivery.

In theory, plugging it into a Google Pixel charger will trigger quick charging.
    04-07-2017 10:30 AM
    Hopefully... 1375 mAh in 15 minutes sure does sound nice!! I have a QC3.0 in my car right now and would probably be willing to upgrade to 4.0 once available if it work with my phone.
    04-07-2017 10:32 AM
    Or maybe Qualcomm has not released it commercially yet.

Source: https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapdr...s-battery-life

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qc.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	256145
    Yup! Just like I speculated on the first page! Thanks for digging that up ClintRo!
    04-07-2017 12:40 PM
    So, does anyone really know what it uses?
    Highrisedrifter likes this.
    04-07-2017 12:45 PM
    Pretty sure Samsung's design engineer knows. The rest of us, not so much.
    felloffthetruck likes this.
    04-07-2017 12:48 PM
    It should use QC 3.0 UNLESS Samsung didn't pay Qualcomm the license fee for its use on these devices. If it doesn't, they probably have some form of quick charge that they've implemented in-house I would guess.
    04-07-2017 12:51 PM
    If the S8 supports QC 4.0, it will also support USB Power Delivery.

In theory, plugging it into a Google Pixel charger will trigger quick charging.
    Yep it should. My G6 is QC 3.0 but they made it accept power delivery as well. I plug it into my old Pixel XL charger at work and it registers as fast charging.
    04-07-2017 12:55 PM
    Pretty sure Samsung's design engineer knows. The rest of us, not so much.
    I am going to ask the Best Buy guy... I am sure he has the inside scoop. I mean he is the one that everyone believes know the two day early release date...LOL
    04-07-2017 01:29 PM
    I am going to ask the Best Buy guy...

Good idea. Be sure to ask if we're all making a giant mistake getting the S8 Plus instead of the S8 too.
    jacobjanzen likes this.
    04-07-2017 01:37 PM
149 1234 ...