Hi guys,

I pre-ordered an S8+ through T-Mobile on 3/30 and had a chance today to play around with a BestBuy unit. Beautiful display! But oh man, the location of the FPS is killing me! The Samsung rep was hilarious - "You mean the heart rate sensor?" "Oh well obviously they had to put the fingerprint reader on the rear since they got rid of the physical home button!" When I asked him about the location compared to say a Pixel, G6, etc he had no response other than "You know you can also use the iris scanner!"

I did like the Note 7 iris scanner but mainly when working in the yard, having wet hands, etc. Unlocking through my fingerprint was my primary method.

Anyone having second thoughts? I'm torn now...$850 plus tax is not cheap and while I can afford it I also have certain expectations at this price point. How did Samsung not consider the ergonomics/usability of this? It's such a huge oversight I feel.

I'm now considering an LG G6 but still not quite sure as I've only had Samsung and Nexus/Google phones
    04-02-2017 07:50 PM
    The FPS was a back up plan. I believe that they wanted to use an on screen FPS but that the technology wasn't quite there yet. So they put it where they could. All IMO of course.
    04-02-2017 08:27 PM
    After holding an s8+, this is super over blown. I would say my hands are average sized and it isn't hard to reach at all. Can you reach the camera on the iPhone 7+? Youre good.

I don't understand why outlets like the verge are making a huge deal out of this when no one mentioned it about the pixel or any of lg's phones.
    milehigherik and jn3wman like this.
    04-02-2017 11:27 PM
    This is easy over blown. Two words: muscle memory. It's just going to take some getting used to. Finally played with the phone today. People are just freaking out for nothing.
    04-02-2017 11:53 PM
    I think it's overblown too. I have LG V20 and the power button is right under the camera and no problem to reach for me and the S8+ is a little taller My opinion is just they my opinion but I've been testing out my V20 at different positions and seem to have no issue reaching the button on the back. My concern will be the Bixby button so to start out I may disable Bixby until I get the feel of the phone. Also on the LG I like the double tap on the screen to wake the phone up so that would be nice to have that option on the S8 and the S8+.
    04-03-2017 12:00 AM
    Hopefully I'll get used to it. I think you guys are right with the muscle memory thing.
    04-03-2017 12:11 AM
    I can understand it being a deal breaker for some.

For me, I won't even be using it. I don't lock my phone at all because I need to get into it so often, lock systems just slow me down. Also, here in Australia, support for Samsung Pay and Android Pay is really lacking so I don't bother using those either. Ultimately, it comes down to how often you need to use the fingerprint scanner...

I will be using iris scanning for secure folder though because I found that worked well for me on the Note 7.
    04-03-2017 01:44 AM
    I posted this in another area and no I don't think the fingerprint scanner location is a deal breaker but it's a headache (for me). I know Samsung was in a rush because they couldn't get the technology working correctly in time for the S8/S8 Plus production but they should have enough time to correct it for the Note 8 launch.

"This is a big issue for me because I use Samsung Pay every time I purchase something. I also have a Spigen car dock which I love but now to unlock the phone I will need to take it off the dock first. The way the dock sits on my dash will make it too difficult to use the IRIS scanner correctly.

In case you're wondering no I don't text and drive but using Google Maps, music, etc will be a headache when the screen locks. I guess my best bet for the car will be to increase the screen lock timeout.

I hope when the Note 8 comes out they will have the fingerprint sensor embedded under the home screen glass. I think using a fingerprint sensor on the front is better than the back because of car docks, people who are left handed, using the phone while it's laying down, etc"
    04-03-2017 02:39 AM

"This is a big issue for me because I use Samsung Pay every time I purchase something. I also have a Spigen car dock which I love but now to unlock the phone I will need to take it off the dock first. The way the dock sits on my dash will make it too difficult to use the IRIS scanner correctly.

In case you're wondering no I don't text and drive but using Google Maps, music, etc will be a headache when the screen locks. I guess my best bet for the car will be to increase the screen lock timeout.
    Extremevl when i cannect to my Alpine Nav the app car dashboard automatically turns on. you can setup all your favorite apps music and so forth. your phone wont ever shut off or lock as long as it's connected to whatever you tell it to. in my case it my Alpine nav.... works real well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ashdroid&hl=en
    ol_jackburton likes this.
    04-03-2017 03:11 AM
    Extremevl when i cannect to my Alpine Nav the app car dashboard automatically turns on. you can setup all your favorite apps music and so forth. your phone wont ever shut off or lock as long as it's connected to whatever you tell it to. in my case it my Alpine nav.... works real well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ashdroid&hl=en
    I'II give that a try because not having the screen lock when I get into my car will be great, thank you!
    freddyttt likes this.
    04-03-2017 04:14 AM
    Won't say it's a deal breaker, but S8 would have been almost perfect if Samsung had succeeded in embedding the sensor onto the screen.
    ClintRo likes this.
    04-03-2017 04:39 AM
    I'II give that a try because not having the screen lock when I get into my car will be great, thank you!
    If your phone is connected to your car via Bluetooth, then just use the Smartlock feature,which allows you to make exceptions for when the phone should be locked, to have the phone automatically be unlocked when you're in your car. It automatically re-locks when you leave the car. Works well for me.
    ClintRo and ol_jackburton like this.
    04-03-2017 05:49 AM
    If your phone is connected to your car via Bluetooth, then just use the Smartlock feature,which allows you to make exceptions for when the phone should be locked, to have the phone automatically be unlocked when you're in your car. It automatically re-locks when you leave the car. Works well for me.
    This^ there are some good options other than the FP sensor. I use the Smartlock feature often on my Note 7
    04-03-2017 06:53 AM
    I definitely love the smart lock feature when Im in my car
    ol_jackburton likes this.
    04-03-2017 11:10 AM
    Ok, this could be an easy fix, esp for those that want to unlock their device while it is sitting in the car dock.
    Use goolge assistant. I know i did with my s7 edge. Using trusted voice allows you to use and unlock your phone from
    the lock screen. I know this worked for the 7 edge, but have not tested on any of the 8's so far.
    04-03-2017 11:20 AM
    I'm not thrilled about the location of the fingerprint scanner, but I think like all things not ideal or that I don't like about a feature or new hardware, I will get used to it.
    04-03-2017 11:33 AM
    correct me if i'm wrong but if you use fingerprint for things like banking or samsung pay and so forth you have to use the FP to mostly unlock your phone .?

ty
    04-03-2017 12:48 PM
    After holding an s8+, this is super over blown. I would say my hands are average sized and it isn't hard to reach at all. Can you reach the camera on the iPhone 7+? Youre good.

I don't understand why outlets like the verge are making a huge deal out of this when no one mentioned it about the pixel or any of lg's phones.
    This.

I tried out the plus at best buy & had no issues whatsoever with the sensor. Slight adjustment of the hand is all that's needed if you're left handed. I tried with both hands, gripping the phone as I normally would, & had zero issues. It will probably become muscle memory after a few weeks. Definitely NOT a deal breaker.
    04-03-2017 01:01 PM
    For anyone who thinks its an issue or deal breaker, simply go into a store and see for yourself and come to your own conclusion. After seeing and holding one in person at Bestbuy, for me, its a resounding, no!
    04-03-2017 01:28 PM