Held one today. Finger print reader worse than feared.

Dubzgb

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
Re: FPS Placement... Final note.

But I am an Android fan. So...yeah. Not sure where you're going with that.

I apologize! I guess I'm just getting tired of people complaining about the fps location. We all know why it had to go there. I am extremely excited for this phone and for what they have achieved with the screen to body ratio and all the other goodies that come with the s8/s8plus. I just don't see why people feel the need to keep kicking the dead horse with the fps. Get over it or move on imo.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

I apologize! I guess I'm just getting tired of people complaining about the fps location. We all know why it had to go there. I am extremely excited for this phone and for what they have achieved with the screen to body ratio and all the other goodies that come with the s8/s8plus. I just don't see why people feel the need to keep kicking the dead horse with the fps. Get over it or move on imo.

I had the Note 2, Note 3, Note 5, Note 7, S6, S7, and S7 edge. I have a long history with purchasing Samsung phones. All of those phones I listed were solid phones for their time. I didn't hesitate to purchase any Samsung phone when it came out because I knew it was going to be an amazing phone with amazing industry-leading specs. Then Samsung announced the S8s. i'm excited for what's inside the phone, but the fingerprint sensor location seems like an afterthought and it feels like Samsung rushed a prototype to the masses. It doesn't feel like the complete package that I'd expect from Samsung. I was looking forward to finally getting an Android phone that could unseat my iPhone 7 Plus in quality, but after playing around with the S8s at both Verizon and Best Buy on two different dates, I just can't get excited for them. That fingerprint sensor is in a terrible location. I have small hands and I don't want to be accidentally touching the camera in order to unlock the device.

That's why people are frustrated.

blaine07

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

For me, I just wish they'd traded flash and finger print sensor sides... I'm right handed and something like what, ~70% of the world is? I do feel flopping those two things could've been achieved. Assuming they're similar in size behind the glass. 🤷🏼*♂️

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Cleaned a few posts -- Please leave politics in the political section of the forum.

Also debates are great -- but once you start just insulting people due to difference of opinion then it isn't as cool. No real need for it ya kno? :).

Last edited:

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

I agree with whoever said this seems like a major deal now, but won't in a month or so once people get used to the placement.

I honestly don't care why Samsung had to place the FPS where they did. This is where it is, and people will deal, whether you personally buy the phone or not, it's not moving.

It's not an idea placement. I'm over it. Give me the damn phone and let me make it work, because this phone seems worth it.

cconn

Banned
Jan 11, 2017
Visit site

I touch my camera lens every now and then when I'm just kind of idly fiddling around with my phone, and I've never had to wipe it off or anything. It's not that big of a deal.

I think the one reason why Samsung put it where they did is they figured everyone was already okay/using the heart rate monitor in the same location, so putting the finger print sensor there wouldn't be a big deal...little do they know practically no one ever uses the heart rate monitor, haha.

And we all know what happened at this point. They wanted to put it under the front glass and they ran out of time. Oh well. I'm sure it'll be rectified on the S9, if not the Note 8. It happens. Innovation is incremental.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

Does this fps placement really matter that much? I guess I don't see what the big deal is because I don't use it and I'll probably forget about it like I forgot about the heart rate monitor. *shrugs *

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

But your camera isn't getting smudged up because you're reaching for the fingerprint sensor. ;)

BTW, I also played around with the S8s. I know what I'm talking about.

You just made my point. The FPS location won't change the fact that the camera's going to get smudged.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I have the S8+ on order and also got the G6 yesterday and guess what I'm accidentally touching the camera lenses on the G6 as well instead of the fingerprint sensor. Ideally, the fingerprint sensor and the camera shouldn't be close to each other like the Pixel. If it's next to the camera or below won't make that much difference in terms of smudging. But having it below will help in reachability. Ideally, the camera lenses should be on the top left like Pixel, iPhones.

Personally, don't mind fingerprint on the back as long as the cameras are not close by. But it's what it is and let's see if can get used to it.

lsmith9523

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site

Yeah....I won't drive a Mercedes Benz because they put the gas cap on the driver's side of the car. Terrible placement!!! I don't know who designs their vehicles..Uggghhh

I'm joking by the way. I would love a Mercedes regardless of one little miniscule aspect of the car😃

My current and past three Mercedes all have the fuel door/cap on the passenger side. My current is a 2016 E350 Sport. Granted, I am in the U.S.,,,they could be placed differently in other regions.

Dubzgb

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site

My current and past three Mercedes all have the fuel door/cap on the passenger side. My current is a 2016 E350 Sport. Granted, I am in the U.S.,,,they could be placed differently in other regions.

Tbh I don't even know where they put it. I was just referring to throwing a fit over 1 aspect of an otherwise beautiful and high performance product. I could care less where they put it and if I could afford a Benz I'd totally drive one😃

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

I'm interested to see how the fps works out. I saw the phone at att, but with the security cable on it, it wasn't easy for me to see how it would work for sure.
So until I get my phone and see for myself, I won't know.
Will it be awkward, maybe at first, But I bet we all figure it out.
If not and we don't like it, we can take it back.

I believe everyone is entitled to an opinion. . Just because someone voices an opinion that maybe different then ours, doesn't mean there wrong. . This is my opinion. 😉

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Best Buy Samsung booth have tethering of the phones that actually let you play with the phone better. Instead of a big block on the back they have a bottom solution as if you are charging the phone. Might want to swing in to one if you really want to try it out.

Last edited:

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I'm left handed and for one will probably not use the FPS to unlock the phone. It's quite easy for me, but I'm curious as to how easy it is to use the iris unlock... Or at least how fast it is. Other than that, I'd till. On the fence about which size to get...

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Well, I have used a Huawei Mate 9 and what do ya know? I keep smudging the camera lens when reaching for the fingerprint sensor.

That doesn't mean the location of the sensor on the S8 is ideal. It isn't, especially for those with smaller hands. Kinda feels like a last-minute tack-on, which it probably is.

As for smudging the lens, I think we all have done so at some point, maybe without us knowing. I actually smudge the camera on my Z regularly because my index finger is really long, and always somehow lands right on the actual camera module.

IMHO, I prefer the Honor 8's implementation because the cameras are on the top-left, and the FPS is lower down in the middle. It's easy to find and there's also much less risk of accidentally smudging the cameras.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
(Speculation and sarcasm) THIS JUST IN: Samsung sells record number of Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus models despite record number of sore backsides in forum discussions! Buyers prove with their wallets that this is a non-issue.

All joking aside though I can understand the FPS not being on the front if you are trying to unlock your phone while it's on a table or something, yet I haven't seen that argument in this thread. Focus on the positive...The headphone jack is on the bottom...PLUS there IS still a headphone jack so there are plenty of things to be thankful for. Timings 9 Days...Phew!

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

Regardless of which phones I've ever owned it is great practice to wipe the camera lens before EVERY photo. I always have and always will regardless of the damn placement of the FPS. This ensures clear shots almost every time. This is common sense... I think.

People will always have something to ***** about. Don't feed into the hype.

Anytime my girlfriend goes to take a photo I remind her to wipe her lens. She has an S7 Edge.

Regardless of where the bathroom is, it is a great practice to wash your hands after going to the restroom EVERY time. I always have and always will (wash my hands) regardless of the damn location of the bathroom. This ensures clean hands almost every time. This is common sense....I think.

I just couldn't resist.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Fingerprint sensor placement concerns? Wait till you read this.

2. I've driven only manual transmission my entire life. They're all slightly different. I've accidentally tapped the brake while pushing for the clutch. Recently had a cast on my foot and did this horribly. 3. The reach for the fingerprint sensor is adjustable much like your car seat slides forward you slide your hand up the phone.

I can tell you one thing that is a big adjustment for me with my new truck (2017 F150)... Is it shutting off at red lights. I stop and the engine just stops.. Let go of the break and it insta starts and I go. Supposed to save gas. First time it happened I freaked out thinking a brand new truck stalled lol.