07-01-2017 05:26 AM
243 ... 78910
tools
    I can tell you one thing that is a big adjustment for me with my new truck (2017 F150)... It shutting off at red lights. I stop and the engine just stops.. Let go of break insta starts and I go. Supposed to save gas. First time it happened I freaked out thinking a brand new truck stalled lol.
    My bike does that sometimes ... but it's an issue with the carburetor, not a feature :s
    ClintRo likes this.
    04-10-2017 12:08 PM
    My bike does that sometimes ... but it's an issue with the carburetor, not a feature :s
    That's not good..
    04-10-2017 12:20 PM
    That's not good..
    It just has a hard time idling unless the choke is pulled out when I do cold weather riding. 15 year old fatboy, easier to just give it a little throttle than to tear the carburetor apart Another good example of how quickly people get used to things that are weird and just deal with it.
    04-10-2017 12:23 PM
    It just has a hard time idling unless the choke is pulled out when I do cold weather riding. 15 year old fatboy, easier to just give it a little throttle than to tear the carburetor apart Another good example of how quickly people get used to things that are weird and just deal with it.
    I rode bikes for years.. I totally agree with you on just giving it more throttle vs repairs. Plus it lets people know you're there.
    Aquila likes this.
    04-10-2017 12:25 PM
    I had the opportunity to try the phone, specifically the S8+ and the fingerprint sensor position really is terrible. There is no way to reach and not touch the camera glass. Sure, you may be touching it where it won't interfere with the camera IQ, but you are touching it nonetheless. There is no getting around it. It is a poor design choice on an otherwise pretty good phone. Also, for the home button haptic feedback, Samsung needs to take a clue from Apple, you want the feedback to originate in the general area of the button press, not in the middle of the phone. If you didn't understand the last point, go try the S8+ yourself and feel where the haptic feedback occurs...it is not under the button but rather feels like it is in the middle of the phone.
    04-10-2017 12:30 PM
    I guess the problem is Samsung could've done better but as posted everyone will eventually get used to it.
    Aquila likes this.
    04-10-2017 12:38 PM
    I guess the problem is Samsung could've done better but as posted everyone will eventually get used to it.
    You'll get used to a lot of things in life. Some things are a choice though and don't require you to compromise. I'm sitting out the S8/S8+ series as a consequence. Note8 will hopefully be what the S8 wanted to be.
    04-10-2017 12:50 PM
    I love how bent out of shape everyone is about the FPS - even with the FPS as my unlock method, I need to put my PIN in 90% of the time for "security policy!" I wish I could just use it period! (This is on my S7 Edge)
    04-10-2017 02:22 PM
    For most it's not a deal breaker and because of it, the phone will not be a failure...

But let's be honest... it's like if they had put the speaker rocker on the top of the phone instead of the side... not a deal breaker... just in ergonomic design... poor design. Just because you have other options to log in, it doesn't change the issue that the FPS placement, no matter what the reason, was poor placement and basically a poor choice. Especially on a phone as tall as the Plus. You design buttons and put thought in placement for ease of access and use. Samsung just created a new phrase for reaching the FPS...

"The Samsung Shimmy"

And logging in is not the only function of the FPS, it has swipe features, swipe up and down and I believe left and right to do things like go back or something. Hard to reach for many one handed and you swipe right, you'll be swiping right into the camera. It's a great sounding feature that probably wont be used much at all.

Like I said, not a deal breaker, but be honest, poor design choice.

04-10-2017 02:36 PM
    Tried out the S8+today and found the fps to be ok. I have big hands which help of course. Samsung should have removed the bixby button and added the fps sensor there, just like Sony
    Aquila likes this.
    04-10-2017 02:41 PM
    I won't re-write my entire post on the FPS on the S8+ site but I'll mention this part...

It's not just about logging in... it has swipe features, swipe up and down and I believe left and right to do things like go back or something. Hard to reach for many one handed and you swipe right, you'll be swiping right into the camera... if you can reach it without needing to do the "Samsung Shimmy."

Again, not a deal breaker. beautiful phone but the FPS placement was a poor design choice.

Ordered my S8 yesterday after playing with one for 10 minutes. Absolutely beautiful phone.

FPS location is a non issue on the regular S8 and it off reach for need on the plus. However, I didn't pass on the plus die to this, I passed on it because it simply felt too tall for me.

I probably won't use the FPS at all anyway since I use Smartlock with my Gear S3 like 75% of the time. The rest of the time using a pin or the FPS wouldn't be difficult.

Can't wait to get mine.
    04-10-2017 02:47 PM
    In any case, use your car's Bluetooth as a trusted device. I do this with every phone and have never needed to unlock it any other way while in the car.

Reading comments in several forums people are finding excuses not to like the S8. They are picking on anything. IMO a product, or a person even, is a package of good and bad traits. You will never, ever, get perfection but if the package as a whole pleases, then it's good.
    04-10-2017 02:55 PM
    You stated 'They had choices'. That's not an opinion. So don't rant about how you are stating an opinion when you aren't.

Back up your statement. What choices did they have?

I'll be waiting with an utter lack of anticipation.
    You'll see the proper spot when the release the s9. lol because ill bet you 1,000 potatoes it won't be next to the camera lens....
    04-10-2017 03:10 PM
    And most of them are either not secure or not convenient.

PIN-not convenient for frequent unlocking
    Pattern- see PIN
    Face-not particularly secure
    Iris-see PIN

Fingerprint-only method convenient for frequent unlocking and secure.

Seriously, coming from a Galaxy S5, if I find the S8 fingerprint scanner frustrating, am I really going to go back to a pre S5 unlocking method? I'd rather wait for Samsung to include the embedded scanner or choose something like the LG G6.
    I'm not sure how much it matters for you, but law enforcement can legally compel you to swipe your fingerprint or use the iris scanner to unlock your phone. They can't compel you to enter your password, though. That's been deemed by the courts to be a violation of the 5th amendment.
    04-10-2017 03:52 PM
    So I wasn't expecting to like it, but it's worse than I thought. It's almost flush with the back of the device, exactly like the camera. There is no way to "feel" for it. Almost indistinguishable from the camera horrible job Samsung.
    I know, right? It's the worst placement of anything on any cell phone ever. And that's not even hyperbole. It's just awful. WTH was Samsung thinking?

But hey, we're probably wrong because we're not following the herd on liking it.
    04-10-2017 04:44 PM
    Been to two stores to try out demos one Best buy only 1 out of 4 was working and it was in the demo mode, also at a Costco and asked about displays the girl said they were locked in a cabinet because they quit working she said in demo mode that they always replay a video and both phones had stopped working she opened the case and tried to start one but it wouldn't go past boot mode, I said this is a bad 1st impression of a new flagship and she agreed.
    She also commented on the curved screen saying 4 people that worked there have the edge 7 and 3 have cracked screens, she wasn't to impressed with the phone
    04-10-2017 05:01 PM
    Went to Bestbuy this weekend to finally check out the S8+, the finger print scanner is in an odd location but once I put my case on it, it may be easier to locate due to the cut out on the back of the case. Size wise, the phone is almost exactly the same as my S7 Edge with my slim Tech 21 case on it. I do have a case for my S8+ and put it next to my S7 Edge and it's slightly taller but nothing crazy like I envisioned. The screen was very nice, looking forward to getting the phone!
    20blks and Paul109 like this.
    04-10-2017 05:03 PM
    I held both at Best Buy today, beautiful devices, best I've felt or seen by far! as far as the FPS, it is not ideal, but it really isn't bad at all, those complaining, are looking for something to gripe about, and likely wouldn't have been buying one to begin with
    20blks, KupKrazy and scgf like this.
    04-10-2017 05:52 PM
    04-10-2017 07:48 PM
    I've used the following phones for extensive periods
    Iphone 5,6,7,,7plus
    Google pixel and pixel XL
    Samsung Note 5, 7
    Galaxy 5,6,7,7e
    Lg V20, G6

Yes I've owned many phones as I am a bit of a maniac. My point is all these phones have different style finer print scanners. I've likes some better than others but I got use to all of them after time and so will you if you give it time.
    04-10-2017 09:02 PM
    I know, right? It's the worst placement of anything on any cell phone ever. And that's not even hyperbole. It's just awful. WTH was Samsung thinking?

But hey, we're probably wrong because we're not following the herd on liking it.
    Who says they like it? No need to make stuff up. We all agree it's not idea, but damn it's like you guys are obsessed with it. lol
    04-10-2017 09:11 PM
    Who says they like it? No need to make stuff up. We all agree it's not idea, but damn it's like you guys are obsessed with it. lol
    I don't mind it being there a bit. It's not uncomfortable. It will be an easy adjustment. Ppl are really making a huge deal about nothing. Buy a different phone if it is a big deal. To each their own.
    gernerttl likes this.
    04-10-2017 09:30 PM
    Yeah, I haven't heard one person say they like the placement - everyone seems to be agree with that. Now, whether it's a dealbreaker is where the divide is. For me it is not.. and I have the S8+ and hold the phone with my left hand. My finger moving that way will feel awkward, but it's not a dealbreaker for me.
    04-10-2017 09:48 PM
    So I wasn't expecting to like it, but it's worse than I thought. It's almost flush with the back of the device, exactly like the camera. There is no way to "feel" for it. Almost indistinguishable from the camera horrible job Samsung.
    And you're referring to the smaller version..... Damn shame.
    04-10-2017 10:17 PM
    Look at the design.
    Have you had the choice to handle a S8/S8+? I thought it was a bad choice, but once I picked one up, I realized it's not so bad.

I also understand it's subjective. But don't pass judgement without actually picking it up yourself. Like I tell my daughter, "how do you know you won't like it unless you try it?"
    04-10-2017 11:55 PM
243 ... 78910