Held one today. Finger print reader worse than feared.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: FPS Placement... Final note.

Sure, they'll sell millions of devices, but it still doesn't mean the FPS location isn't in a terrible place.

McDonald's sells billions of hamburgers every year but that doesn't mean they have good tasting hamburgers.
So McDonald's has a fatal flaw in that it's hamburger's don't taste good but they have sold billions of them.

I can't believe these successful companies and their fatal flaws.

Should Samsung strive to be the LG mobile division and have declining profits 6 quarters in a row?

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

So McDonald's has a fatal flaw in that it's hamburger's don't taste good but they have sold billions of them.

I can't believe these successful companies and their fatal flaws.

Should Samsung strive to be the LG mobile division and have declining profits 6 quarters in a row?

I don't recall seeing McDonald's getting high marks on the Michelin Star ratings.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

Um...you do realize that the lens on every camera regardless of device gets smudged and dirty. The FPS position on the S8/S8+ isn't going to make it worse. Think about the environment the phone is in. I wish my Canon EOS 6D had software to tell me my lens is dirty. That's actually a nifty feature.

No other phones require a person to reach across the camera to unlock a phone.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

You are right. Many other companies just hemorrhage money with their perfectly placed FPS. Hmm, I wonder what the board of directors would rather have: a perfectly placed FPS or billions in profits?

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
FPS Placement... Final note.

And? My iPhone's camera lens gets smudged all of the time because of the stupid camera location. Besides, I've actually held the S8 and S8+. In the dozen or so times I've held one, not once did my finger land on the camera. The FPS is slightly indented. You can tell immediately that your finger is on it. The very first time I picked up the phone my left index finger landed right on the FPS. Do you really think Samsung (or any other phone maker) is dumb enough to NOT test it first with real people BEFORE finalizing the design?

Last edited:

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site

Why are people even arguing over the placement. If you like it great. If not that's great also. Fact is no one knows what the majority think. We on this forum are but a fraction of actual users. Just because you have a group who agree with you one way or the other on here is no indication whatsoever what the majority is.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Like o said if you don't like it fine you do great. It will be ok. For as much as we all seem to enjoy phones there are plenty other devices that suit your individual needs. I know. I buy just about all of them due to this illness. Lol.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Sure, they'll sell millions of devices, but it still doesn't mean the FPS location isn't in a terrible place.

McDonald's sells billions of hamburgers every year but that doesn't mean they have good tasting hamburgers.

I beg your pardon.... McDonald's burgers are the best... Not! Haha they do sell a ton of burgers though.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

And? My iPhone's camera lens gets smudged all of the time because of the stupid camera location. Besides, I've actually held the S8 and S8+. In the dozen or so times I've held one, not once did my finger land on the camera. The FPS is slightly indebted. You can tell immediately that your finger is on it. The very first time I picked up the phone my left index finger landed right on the FPS. Do you really think Samsung (or any other phone maker) is dumb enough to NOT test it first with real people BEFORE finalizing the design?

But your camera isn't getting smudged up because you're reaching for the fingerprint sensor. ;)

BTW, I also played around with the S8s. I know what I'm talking about.

Dubzgb

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site

Yeah....I won't drive a Mercedes Benz because they put the gas cap on the driver's side of the car. Terrible placement!!! I don't know who designs their vehicles..Uggghhh

I'm joking by the way. I would love a Mercedes regardless of one little miniscule aspect of the car😃

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

Yeah....I won't drive a Mercedes Benz because they put the gas cap on the driver's side of the car. Terrible placement!!! I don't know who designs their vehicles..Uggghhh

I'm joking by the way. I would love a Mercedes regardless of one little miniscule aspect of the car??????

Gas caps don't require you to reach across the windshield to fill the tank up with gas.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

I touched the S8 Plus more than once and the FPS is not ideal but for my hands /holding style it's not horrible but for you it just might be. Such an individual thing it is not really worth fighting over.

Dubzgb

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site

Gas caps don't require you to reach across the windshield to fill the tank up with gas.

Regardless. If the fps placement is that important to you. Why not pay more attention to the countless of other devices available for you to buy or use one of the other unlocking methods?

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

Regardless. If the fps placement is that important to you. Why not pay more attention to the countless of other devices available for you to buy or use one of the other unlocking methods?

And I am. But I am providing my opinion on this matter just like everyone else. I just think that it's a bit ridiculous that just because I don't agree with the placement of the FPS doesn't mean that I cannot participate in the discussion.