Held one today. Finger print reader worse than feared.

garment69

Banned
May 10, 2013
Visit site
So I wasn't expecting to like it, but it's worse than I thought. It's almost flush with the back of the device, exactly like the camera. There is no way to "feel" for it. Almost indistinguishable from the camera horrible job Samsung.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Watching Pocketnow reviews they even showed Samsung videos showing how you have to use two hands to use the fingerprint reader. Curious to know how fast the iris scanner works.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
The fingerprint reader wasn't as bad to me when I held it in hand. Plus, once you throw a case on it with the cutout for camera/flash/fps, you'll know exactly where to place your finger. It only took me a few minutes in the store to get used to the location. A pocket now review shouldn't replace a personal experience

gpatrick15

Mar 27, 2009
Visit site
Watching Pocketnow reviews they even showed Samsung videos showing how you have to use two hands to use the fingerprint reader. Curious to know how fast the iris scanner works.
If it's anything like the Note 7's Iris scanner, it should work pretty quickly.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
The fingerprint reader wasn't as bad to me when I held it in hand. Plus, once you throw a case on it with the cutout for camera/flash/fps, you'll know exactly where to place your finger. It only took me a few minutes in the store to get used to the location. A pocket now review shouldn't replace a personal experience

Someone gets it!

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
A case won't change the proximity of the camera and fingerprint reader but a case should help find it more easily. There's no question that Samsung put it way too high and in an awkward place

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It's honestly not as bad as people say it is, I will see thought when I use it more when I get it. I read however when u get a case its much easier to find it because the case raises around that area

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Fingerprint sensor placement discussion

Folks act like they'll never get used to the placement. Do you still look down to see where the gas and brake pedals are?

AjieGFX

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site
Re: Fingerprint sensor placement concerns? Wait till you read this.

Something new never goes over lightly lol.

I'm sure camera smudges will be a nuisance but people will adjust, well those who actually want the device.

I use note 4 and one hand utilization is not bad, so the sensor won't really bother me.

s2kmafia

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

I messed around with an s8+ again today...it's definitely not as bad as the first time I tried but regardless it's poor placement.

I'm a loyal Samsung and Android user for quite some time but I don't like adopting the attitude "well we'll get used to it."

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
As a former Note 7 owner, I can assure you that the fingerprint reader isn't necessary when you have the iris scanner.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Do you need to wake the phone for the fingerprint sensor to work? Or can it wake and unlock the phone directly from sleep?

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site

That's what I'm saying. Just like how I got used to the stock Android nav bar after coming from Samsung nav bar, I'll get used to the fingerprint scanner location easily.

Anyway, I'm still going to use iris scanner / facial recognition. I've seen reviews where they tried to fool the facial scanner with a picture and it wouldn't budge, so there's a particular way to fool it. I'm not worried because if I lose my phone, I really doubt someone is waiting with a picture of me.