Held one today. Finger print reader worse than feared.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Re: Fingerprint sensor placement concerns? Wait till you read this.

3 months in it will be a non issue. i am more wrapped up in weather i should leave the back button on the left or right.

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

Would you be concerned about a car that put the gas pedal on the steering wheel? I mean, in some ways, that's where it should be. What about if the Toyota Camry decided to replace the gas pedal and brake with a right hand throttle and a finger brake? It actually might be sweet but changing things could cause issues.

I'll get used to it I'm sure. Got used to the V10 placement back a year ago or whatever, but the problem is that if the phone had managed to launch an under the screen scanner, it would be a perfect phone.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

3 months in it will be a non issue. i am more wrapped up in weather i should leave the back button on the left or right.

Good news is that you can switch that up however you like! I think the left is better for me coming from the horrible V20.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

What's going to suck is the Note 8 is right around the corner and will have the fingerprint sensor under the glass home button on the front. Everyone that buys the S8 will be regret their purchase once this comes out. :'(

After seeing this video I'm having second thoughts.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

What's going to suck is the Note 8 is right around the corner and will have the fingerprint sensor under the glass home button on the front. Everyone that buys the S8 will be regret their purchase once this comes out. :'(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zqsqOMtzTs
I don't regret the S8. I'm already planning to Jump to the Note 8, I just need a much better camera than I have on the V20 until then.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I messed around with an s8+ again today...it's definitely not as bad as the first time I tried but regardless it's poor placement.

I'm a loyal Samsung and Android user for quite some time but I don't like adopting the attitude "well we'll get used to it."

Except you WILL get used to it. It's not like it's going to suddenly changed positions because folks will it lol. It's like getting used to no side power button going from the S7 to the G6. My hand kept going there by accident the first few days. It was frustrating, and now I barely think about it.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Naw... I will just buy that when it comes out...LOL.

Then people will complain that they have to touch the screen to unlock and have fingerprints on the screen I want a FPS on the side like some computers have now days. Like in the power button, so you can unlock when you turn it on.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

I disagree. I find the fingerprint scanner under my S6 Edge+ home button a nuisance, so I expect the same on the N8. The best placement for me would be on the power button, similar to Sony. The FP scanner on the S8+ is in the spot where my current phone's heart rate monitor sits. I seem to be able to hit that spot with accuracy.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Speak for yourself LOL, the note 8 will definately be more expensive, if prior price points play a role in it, you could be over a $1,000 for the note 8. I definately don't want a bigger screen, past years the note series always had a bigger screen. If the rumor of foldable phone is true, I'm 99% sure I don't want that. The S8+ looks to do everything I did with the N7, I only used the S pen for things I can do with my finger now on the s8 series.

If the note 8 isn't any of the above and I want one, I'll buy one then, but bigger screen doubtful, will see what happens then, for now I'll enjoy the S8 plus.

Last edited:

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

On the video, if the fingerprint is on the front under the display on the note 8, let's remember it will be a generation 1 in this area, never been done by Samsung. We all know that first time things don't always work out so well, look at cramming big battery in small area worked on the note 7. So, might be better that the note 8 users can be the beta testers and get it perfected for the S9.

You could say the S8 users are doing the same thing with the no home button, the hidden home button is a first for Samsung.

Last edited:

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

I'm not sure Samsung would risk new fingerprint technically in the Note they need to have a guaranteed success this time no issues

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

The same could be said for the S8 series. I do believe that is why they didn't roll it out on this version. If it is working well in time for the Note 8 I think they will roll with it.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Speak for yourself LOL, the note 8 will definately be more expensive, if prior price points play a role in it, you could be over a $1,000 for the note 8. I definately don't want a bigger screen, past years the note series always had a bigger screen. If the rumor of foldable phone is true, I'm 99% sure I don't want that. The S8+ looks to do everything I did with the N7, I only used the S pen for things I can do with my finger now on the s8 series.

If the note 8 isn't any of the above and I want one, I'll buy one then, but bigger screen doubtful, will see what happens then, for now I'll enjoy the S8 plus.
Foldable isn't happening until 2019 based on the most recent reports so you are safe.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

Ppl will complain about anything. If you don't lie it, don't buy it. There are so many options out there for you.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

On the video, if the fingerprint is on the front under the glass on the note 8, let's remember it will be a generation 1 in this area, never been done. We all know that first time things don't always work out so well, look at cramming big battery in small area worked on the note 7. So, might be better that the note 8 users can be the beta testers and get it perfected for the S9.

You could say the S8 users are doing the same thing with the no home button, the hidden home button is a first for Samsung.

Fingerprint scanner under glass has already been done on the new iPhones.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

I can't remember if the iPhone 6 was glass but my iPhone 7 is glass. What Samsung wants to implement is basically the same only Apple just made it look like a button.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

On the iPhone it's not under the glass it's just not a mechanical button it has heppic feedback and it's in the Basel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol