Held one today. Finger print reader worse than feared.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: Fingerprint sensor placement concerns? Wait till you read this.

On the iPhone it's not under the glass it's just not a mechanical button it has heppic feedback and it's in the Basel
But it's glass is it not? Or Saphire.

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Are they going to stick with the weird thin screen ratio in the Note 8?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Lol, ah yes under the screen but the comment said under glass hasn't been done before.
There I fixed it, figured most would have figured out what I was saying. I didn't know about Apple as I don't use Apple so I don't pay attention to Apple. Sorry for the confusion.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Folks act like they'll never get used to the placement. Do you still look down to see where the gas and brake pedals are?

If I had a Samsung car I sure would. First the pedals would be backwards for YEARS and then, once I got used to them, they'd move one to the passenger side where I can barely reach it, only if I straddle the console... yeah, if I drove a Samsung car, I would be looking every time. Never know where they might be.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Naw... I will just buy that when it comes out...LOL.

Then people will complain that they have to touch the screen to unlock and have fingerprints on the screen I want a FPS on the side like some computers have now days. Like in the power button, so you can unlock when you turn it on.

Sony did that for a bit, I like that idea.

rgladman

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site

Lol, ah yes under the screen but the comment said under glass hasn't been done before.

There also was a rumor recently that apple had planned to place their finger print sensor under the display in their next phone this fall. However the article said they were going to back off from this idea also.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

Coming from an iPhone 6s Plus, it will be a little annoying at first. I think the biggest argument for putting it on the back of the phone is now you have to pick it up to unlock it using fingerprint authentication. Since it is wireless charging that could be inconvenient if you have to remove it from the charger to unlock it.

As far as comparing it to the pedals of a car. That is a bad analogy. Pedal placement in cars is an international standard. The gas, break, and clutch are in the same spots on a right driving car as they are on a left driving car. The difference is the placement of the gear shift, turn signals and the windshield wipers.

If there was a defacto "standard" of where the fingerprint scanner is, then I would think there is a problem, but since there isn't, the argument about its placement is moot.

Samsung is not the first to place it on the back, nor will it be the last. It is the same argument when LG put the volume and home buttons on the back of the G3. There were a lot of complaints, but ultimately they kept that format.

I think if Samsung put it underneath the camera like on the Pixel or the G7, then there would be less complaining.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Lag, picture quality after zooming in on spots already taken (very granular.)
Oh I agree the camera sucks. I thought you hated the phone in general.
Every Sammy phone I've owned was way slower than my V20. Not even close. This includes Note 7

Last edited:

anon(9780053)

Banned
Jan 1, 2016
Visit site

What's going to suck is the Note 8 is right around the corner and will have the fingerprint sensor under the glass home button on the front. Everyone that buys the S8 will be regret their purchase once this comes out. :'(

After seeing this video I'm having second thoughts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zqsqOMtzTs

care less. got money now. not 7 months later when i dont. matter of fact after mu tradein....the price for me will be out of pocket it 250. try to buy a note 8 on that

we arent walking atms and its insanity to trade up everytime a new device comes out every 3 or 6 months. addiction.i got my asus gaming laptop which was 2900 buks, with 7th gen i 7 and 1080 graphics, thats why i dont or wont nlow 11 or 1200 on a note 7.my s8 plus and s7edge will do very well.

im not gulible to a dude on youtube.its sickening for those to pop one off and say dont buy it. whats next, EVERYONES GOT AN OPINION LIKE...........fill in the blank.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

That's a poor argument. 1. Gas and brake pedals are really easy to reach. 2. I could never accidentally press something else when I'm reaching for a pedal. 3. The seat can be adjusted to reach the pedals. You can't adjust the placement of the fingerprint sensor on the S8s.

Look, I think the S8s are beautiful phones, but even I admit the placement of the FPS is terrible. Nobody should be excusing it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

That's a poor argument. 1. Gas and brake pedals are really easy to reach. 2. I could never accidentally press something else when I'm reaching for a pedal. 3. The seat can be adjusted to reach the pedals. You can't adjust the placement of the fingerprint sensor on the S8s.

Look, I think the S8s are beautiful phones, but even I admit the placement of the FPS is terrible. Nobody should be excusing it.

I agree w/ Ret here .. Bad comparison :p.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I don't think it is a beautiful phone. Too long.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I agree, not a beautiful phone. Too long, made of glass, not enough bezels to hold it, curved corners weird me out. Maybe it'll grow on me, but for now it's a bag of blunders.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Thank goodness buying it is strictly voluntary.