Held one today. Finger print reader worse than feared.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Fingerprint sensor placement concerns? Wait till you read this.

Apparently Samsung is aware of placement issue and the phone will warn you to clean the camera lens occasionally

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Apparently Samsung is aware of placement issue and the phone will warn you to clean the camera lens occasionally

I sure hope not. I don't need volume and camera smudge warnings.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

That's a poor argument. 1. Gas and brake pedals are really easy to reach. 2. I could never accidentally press something else when I'm reaching for a pedal. 3. The seat can be adjusted to reach the pedals. You can't adjust the placement of the fingerprint sensor on the S8s.

Look, I think the S8s are beautiful phones, but even I admit the placement of the FPS is terrible. Nobody should be excusing it.

2. I've driven only manual transmission my entire life. They're all slightly different. I've accidentally tapped the brake while pushing for the clutch. Recently had a cast on my foot and did this horribly. 3. The reach for the fingerprint sensor is adjustable much like your car seat slides forward you slide your hand up the phone.

If I'm still smudging my camera lens even a week after I buy the damn phone.... Then I'm going to give it to someone who is capable of not smudging it. I'm sure in the first half hour I'll have the placement mastered. I've got bigger issues to fret over. To each their own.

afazel

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
So I wasn't expecting to like it, but it's worse than I thought. It's almost flush with the back of the device, exactly like the camera. There is no way to "feel" for it. Almost indistinguishable from the camera horrible job Samsung.

I thought it wasn't as bad as I feared once I held it. We'll see how I adapt to it. I pre-ordered after playing with it.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

2. I've driven only manual transmission my entire life. They're all slightly different. I've accidentally tapped the brake while pushing for the clutch. Recently had a cast on my foot and did this horribly. 3. The reach for the fingerprint sensor is adjustable much like your car seat slides forward you slide your hand up the phone.

My car is a manual and I've never had that issue. I mean, one stops the car and the other puts it in neutral.

If a phone has to have a popup warning you that the camera is too smudgy to use, maybe they should've rethought the FPS placement.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

My car is a manual and I've never had that issue. I mean, one stops the car and the other puts it in neutral.

If a phone has to have a popup warning you that the camera is too smudgy to use, maybe they should've rethought the FPS placement.

Can't agree with that more regarding the warning. I wasn't aware of that until this thread. However, I have the V20 now and the Pixel XL previously and just in general I always wipe the lens with something prior to taking a photo. My girlfriend has an S7 Edge and her pictures always look like shut coz she never wipes her lens. It's right next to the HR sensor. I personally have never used a fingerprint sensor for more than a day on any device.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Fingerprint sensor placement concerns? Wait till you read this.

Ok. So I stopped at Best Buy and played with the S8+. I found the fingerprint reader was not as weird as I thought.

For starters, it is slightly recessed and I knew immediately by touch that my finger was resting on it. I purposely put my finger on the camera lens and could readily distinguish that my finger was NOT on the reader. Also, as a left handed user, it did not feel awkward with my finger on the reader. When holding the phone one handed it felt natural to put my finger right where the reader is at.

Now I don't have small hands. I could see how if you're a smaller person that it could be awkward for the 8+. The S8 though didn't feel awkward either.

As for other concerns that you can't unlock the phone while it is in a cradle or laying down. The Samsung rep said that the retina scanner is as fast as the fingerprint reader. He said it unlocks in about a second.

Granted my observations are subjective.

The fingerprint reader location is not a deal killer for me.

My two cents...for what it's worth.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

3 months in it will be a non issue. i am more wrapped up in weather i should leave the back button on the left or right.

What are you, an animal?! You know what side the back button belongs on ;)

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site

What's going to suck is the Note 8 is right around the corner and will have the fingerprint sensor under the glass home button on the front. Everyone that buys the S8 will be regret their purchase once this comes out. :'(

After seeing this video I'm having second thoughts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zqsqOMtzTs

'Tis a silly argument, since something better is ALWAYS around the corner. If I were to take this guy's advice, I'd never purchase a goddamn thing.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

That's a poor argument. 1. Gas and brake pedals are really easy to reach. 2. I could never accidentally press something else when I'm reaching for a pedal. 3. The seat can be adjusted to reach the pedals. You can't adjust the placement of the fingerprint sensor on the S8s.

Look, I think the S8s are beautiful phones, but even I admit the placement of the FPS is terrible. Nobody should be excusing it.

Basically some will like it others will not, some don't care because they will use the retina burning technology...LOL

I think most that want to use it will adapt.

keno101

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site

I agree, not a beautiful phone. Too long, made of glass, not enough bezels to hold it, curved corners weird me out. Maybe it'll grow on me, but for now it's a bag of blunders.
Wrong

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm still baffled as to why they put it up there.

They were trying to get the reader under the screen, but Synaptics was unable to provide a workable solution in time. By that point, so much stuff had been engineered it was the only place that was feasible.

If Synaptics works it out in time, the fingerprint reader could be under the screen on the Note 8.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They were trying to get the reader under the screen, but Synaptics was unable to provide a workable solution in time. By that point, so much stuff had been engineered it was the only place that was feasible.

If Synaptics works it out in time, the fingerprint reader could be under the screen on the Note 8.

That would be .. very sweet for sure :p.

Darius DuPree

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I tried both at my only BestBuy and awkwardly enough my right index finger went straight to the sensor on both the S8 and S8+, I tried it with the ways I normally hold a phone and it seemed natural enough ( I suppose having my Mom's fingers helps in this situation) but my left hand (dominant) it was a little more awkward because it wanted to go for the heart sensor. I want to preorder but I'm an instant satisfaction person so it would be torture for me. If I hear reports of early delivery then I'll be all over it.

The breaking factor now is the reach up to the notification bar. And no customizable drop down button like LGs kinda bums me out since it is so tall

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek