Held one today. Finger print reader worse than feared.

Large Hadron

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
The breaking factor now is the reach up to the notification bar. And no customizable drop down button like LGs kinda bums me out since it is so tall
Someone needs to remap the Bixby button to do that.

(I always use Nova with an on-screen swipe gesture to lower the notifications, but of course that only works when I'm on the desktop rather than in another app).

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
So I wasn't expecting to like it, but it's worse than I thought. It's almost flush with the back of the device, exactly like the camera. There is no way to "feel" for it. Almost indistinguishable from the camera horrible job Samsung.

I got to imagine a case will help you find it tho.. I find trouble with most back of phone fps without a case to help

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Fingerprint sensor placement concerns? Wait till you read this.

retina burning technology...LOL

I couldn't stand using the iris scanner on the Note 7 because it hurt my eyes really badly. It felt like I was looking straight into a laser pointer. I never used it again after the first time I used it.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I saw it on display. WOW the fingerprint scanner is SOOO close to the camera, it's almost ridiculous. But the phone sure does look amazing, it's a payoff for such a beautiful design.

Darius DuPree

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Someone needs to remap the Bixby button to do that.

(I always use Nova with an on-screen swipe gesture to lower the notifications, but of course that only works when I'm on the desktop rather than in another app).

Exactly because the bixby button is redundant since you can swipe from the left to access. But I decided to pass on the S8 and picked up a S7 Edge and will load the S8 launcher, Bixby and AOD onto it tonight

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
You're holding it wrong. LOL

I don't like anything you just need to get used to it.

I hope the Note at least changes it. Why not go vertically...

LED Flash
Camera
FPS

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
If Synaptics works it out in time, the fingerprint reader could be under the screen on the Note 8.

This is why I'm waiting for to upgrade my S5. If the Note 8 has this (awesome and super convenient) under the screen scanner, I'll upgrade. If not, I'll wait for the S9.

How a phone unlocks is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to me. I unlock mine dozens of times a day. And contrary to all the garbage that is spouted on regular reviews of the Galaxy S5, its fingerprint reader is VERY reliable. Out of a 100 attempts, I would be unlucky to miss 2 times, and even then because it tells me my fingers are wet.

Playing around with my wife's iPhone 7 is a bit more convenient. Not a reflection on Apple, just a comment on a couple of years of progress of technology. Instead of press the home button and swipe like I do now, just press on the scanner and done.

I don't want to go from a fingerprint scanner that works almost faultlessy in a location that is very convenient to one that is inconvenient because of its location. That's going backwards.

Hence my waiting for the first Galaxy phone to have the exciting under the glass scanner.

Last edited:

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Bloody stupid afterthought. When phone sits on table you're going to have to pick it up to unlock using fps or do your imitation rubber man trick to use iris/face scan. That was #1 reason I didn't give the Google pixel a second thought. Hopefully the note 8 (which I'll wait for) will have fps imbedded on the front. Hey, here's an idea, perhaps publishers should begin putting the book titles ON THE BACK!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Bloody stupid afterthought. When phone sits on table you're going to have to pick it up to unlock using fps or do your imitation rubber man trick to use iris/face scan. That was #1 reason I didn't give the Google pixel a second thought. Hopefully the note 8 (which I'll wait for) will have fps imbedded on the front. Hey, here's an idea, perhaps publishers should begin putting the book titles ON THE BACK!

Bad analogy in my opinion. I can grab my Pixel XL or G6 and find the Fingerprint Scanner with ease and get into my phone... a book title is a tad different than finding a scanner to get into a phone.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

I bet any money that if Samsung can't get the embedded scanner in time for the Note 8, they will redesign the housing and put the rear FPS in a similar location in the middle like Pixel and LG.

There is no way Samsung is going to be able to not hear the almost universal mass frustration of the S8 design. If a company finds out quickly that a key feature is hugely unpopular, do you think they'll repeat it?

Think Galaxy S6 and no SD card and how Samsung rectified it on the S7. Identical situation.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I bet any money that if Samsung can't get the embedded scanner in time for the Note 8, they will redesign the housing and put the rear FPS in a similar location in the middle like Pixel and LG.

There is no way Samsung is going to be able to not hear the almost universal mass frustration of the S8 design. If a company finds out quickly that a key feature is hugely unpopular, do you think they'll repeat it?

Think Galaxy S6 and no SD card and how Samsung rectified it on the S7. Identical situation.

Correction on my previous reply. I'll upgrade my Galaxy S5 for the first Galaxy S or Note model with an embedded scanner AND dual cameras.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Correction on my previous reply. I'll upgrade my Galaxy S5 for the first Galaxy S or Note model with an embedded scanner AND dual cameras.

It's not about money for me. I could have gotten a Galaxy S6, then S7 if I wanted to. I like to replace when there is significant advances over what I currently have.

The new generation of almost all screen, minimal bezel phones is a HUGE advance over my S5. An embedded scanner and dual cameras will for me complete enough advances over my S5 to upgrade.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site

U can easily unlock with pattern.. It's so simple...

ZayMoney

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
This is why I'm waiting for to upgrade my S5. If the Note 8 has this (awesome and super convenient) under the screen scanner, I'll upgrade. If not, I'll wait for the S9.

How a phone unlocks is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to me. I unlock mine dozens of times a day. And contrary to all the garbage that is spouted on regular reviews of the Galaxy S5, its fingerprint reader is VERY reliable. Out of a 100 attempts, I would be unlucky to miss 2 times, and even then because it tells me my fingers are wet.

Playing around with my wife's iPhone 7 is a bit more convenient. Not a reflection on Apple, just a comment on a couple of years of progress of technology. Instead of press the home button and swipe like I do now, just press on the scanner and done.

I don't want to go from a fingerprint scanner that works almost faultlessy in a location that is very convenient to one that is inconvenient because of its location. That's going backwards.

Hence my waiting for the first Galaxy phone to have the exciting under the glass scanner.

so if the phone does not have 1 feature you're gonna pass?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
so if the phone does not have 1 feature you're gonna pass?

Absolutely, no hesitation. I keep my phones for at least 3 years, so I'm not going to get the latest and greatest and have a feature which I hate. No rush, the S8 doesn't have the embedded scanner, the next Note or S model will.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Bad analogy in my opinion. I can grab my Pixel XL or G6 and find the Fingerprint Scanner with ease and get into my phone... a book title is a tad different than finding a scanner to get into a phone.
Didn't get my point - Many a time I just want to open phone WHILE ITS ON THE TABLE, eg I'm having breakfast and check fb/sms/email and I don't want to/cant pick it up. Yes, I agree, a book title is a tad different - one doesn't have to use ones finger to read it!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Didn't get my point - Many a time I just want to open phone WHILE ITS ON THE TABLE, eg I'm having breakfast and check fb/sms/email and I don't want to/cant pick it up. Yes, I agree, a book title is a tad different - one doesn't have to use ones finger to read it!
I just enter my pin if that is the case. At home I have it set as a trusted location so I can just swipe to unlock.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Yes I have my S7 Edge linked to trusted device. I won't set a trusted place because other people in my home then have access. If I'm not wearing my watch I can press home key and fps at same time - one operation, no pick up required & no entering pin. Anyway hope this is solved with Note 8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy