Held one today. Finger print reader worse than feared.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Not that Samsung should get a pass on this, but there are plenty of way to unlock a phone in 2017.

And most of them are either not secure or not convenient.

PIN-not convenient for frequent unlocking
Pattern- see PIN
Face-not particularly secure
Iris-see PIN

Fingerprint-only method convenient for frequent unlocking and secure.

Seriously, coming from a Galaxy S5, if I find the S8 fingerprint scanner frustrating, am I really going to go back to a pre S5 unlocking method? I'd rather wait for Samsung to include the embedded scanner or choose something like the LG G6.

Last edited:

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
And most of them are either not secure or not convenient.

PIN-not convenient for frequent unlocking
Pattern- see PIN
Face-not particularly secure
Iris-see PIN

Fingerprint-only method convenient for frequent unlocking and secure.

Seriously, coming from a Galaxy S5, if I find the S8 fingerprint scanner frustrating, am I really going to go back to a pre S5 unlocking method? I'd rather wait for Samsung to include the embedded scanner or choose something like the LG G6.

Again though... There are a couple of options to unlock your phone, meaning... Change it up. You don't have to stick with one method over the lifespan of your phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Again though... There are a couple of options to unlock your phone, meaning... Change it up. You don't have to stick with one method over the lifespan of your phone.

For me it has been nothing but FPS since they came out. It is just the easiest and most convenient. I don't want to hold my phone to my face every-time to unlock.

csiguy1

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Played with a S8 today and hitting the fingerprint sensor won't be a issue with me. I just start my finger from the edge of the phone and slide it over to the first indentation and I am there. No problem for me at all.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
For me it has been nothing but FPS since they came out. It is just the easiest and most convenient. I don't want to hold my phone to my face every-time to unlock.

Then use the FPS. It's not like it's no longer an option. It just means you'll need to adjust to a new location.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Oh I won't .. as I won't be getting the S8. By the time I go with Samsung again I am sure it will be on the front :p.

I'm speaking in general. Personally, I'll be using a combo of the FPS and facial recognition. It will change by the day depending on my circumstance. No one will be able to easily predict what I'm using on what day, and it will be backed up by four digit code.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm speaking in general. Personally, I'll be using a combo of the FPS and facial recognition. It will change by the day depending on my circumstance. No one will be able to easily predict what I'm using on what day, and it will be backed up by four digit code.

Well of course -- it forces some kind of backup so I do have a backup PIN if need be.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The fingerprint reader wasn't as bad to me when I held it in hand. Plus, once you throw a case on it with the cutout for camera/flash/fps, you'll know exactly where to place your finger. It only took me a few minutes in the store to get used to the location. A pocket now review shouldn't replace a personal experience

Exactly what I thought - especially when I received my case. It's super easy to find with the case. Granted that does not help people without a case, but if you don't have a case, I am thinking that your camera lens is often smudged or at least dusty since there is no real lip around it that would keep your hand or clothes at a distance.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I didn't find the finger print sensor on the back a issue at all. I had zero issue getting to it on the S8 plus. Good thing there is plenty of other options around for those who don't like where the FPS is placed. Just don't get it or pick something else. Plenty of options.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I tried both at my only BestBuy and awkwardly enough my right index finger went straight to the sensor on both the S8 and S8+, I tried it with the ways I normally hold a phone and it seemed natural enough ( I suppose having my Mom's fingers helps in this situation) but my left hand (dominant) it was a little more awkward because it wanted to go for the heart sensor. I want to preorder but I'm an instant satisfaction person so it would be torture for me. If I hear reports of early delivery then I'll be all over it.

The breaking factor now is the reach up to the notification bar. And no customizable drop down button like LGs kinda bums me out since it is so tall

If for you it feels natural the fingerprint location then you won't have any issues with the notification bar as you'll have the smart gesture on the fingerprint sensor where you'll be able to swipe down and up the notification bar from the fingerprint sensor.

keno101

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
So I wasn't expecting to like it, but it's worse than I thought. It's almost flush with the back of the device, exactly like the camera. There is no way to "feel" for it. Almost indistinguishable from the camera horrible job Samsung.
Had it in hand and very easy one handed. My 5'2 female friend also said out was easy. Told her about the weird out cry her exact words "maybe the guys complaining have little kid hands". So i gotta call bull on this claim if my tiny friend can one hand the + fingerprint scanner then maybe you should stop complaining.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Had it in hand and very easy one handed. My 5'2 female friend also said out was easy. Told her about the weird out cry her exact words "maybe the guys complaining have little kid hands". So i gotta call bull on this claim if my tiny friend can one hand the + fingerprint scanner then maybe you should stop complaining.

A lot of people complained about the fps initially before they even held the phone. It's really not hard to get used to. Watch some reviews with those who have had the phone for the past week. They've all gotten used to the scanner location

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
You know, for all those buying the S8+, the question is "why?" I am completely bemused why anyone would buy one with an average size battery (for the screen size) and that awful FPS, when the Note 8 is coming?

Why not wait for the Note 8 which will apparently be a beast? Why settle?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
You know, for all those buying the S8+, the question is "why?" I am completely bemused why anyone would buy one with an average size battery (for the screen size) and that awful FPS, when the Note 8 is coming?

Why not wait for the Note 8 which will apparently be a beast? Why settle?
Jump on demand and get both. No settling.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Fingerprint sensor placement concerns? Wait till you read this.

I couldn't stand using the iris scanner on the Note 7 because it hurt my eyes really badly. It felt like I was looking straight into a laser pointer. I never used it again after the first time I used it.

That sounds unpleasant.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon